Texas Fishing Forum

Is Gulp! That Much Better

Posted By: Crankalot

Is Gulp! That Much Better - 05/22/17 08:11 PM

We went fishing this weekend in Corpus and I spent approximately 5 hours throwing paddle tails of various colors along with a few Paul Brown lures and got a few bites. I switched to a Gulp! shrimp and started getting more bites the very first cast and landed more fish.

The Gulp! was in a color combo I hadn't thrown, could that be the difference or was it the oil the lures come in, or do fish just like them more?

Thanks
Posted By: karstopo

Re: Is Gulp! That Much Better - 05/23/17 01:11 AM

Go for it. I don't think it's a magic bullet, but it might work sometimes when other things struggle. Fish bite things for their own reasons. I never thought gulp had the greatest action due to the shape and material, but Berkeley made new shapes.

You should try gulp for several or many trips to confirm or deny it is better. Nothing but gulp. I've done it with topwaters, paddle tails, and flies. Commit to one thing, good or bad results, trip in and trip out. See what happens.
Posted By: C.M.

Re: Is Gulp! That Much Better - 05/23/17 01:34 AM

When fish aren't hungry -- Gulp is better.
Posted By: LOVNTREE

Re: Is Gulp! That Much Better - 05/23/17 03:27 AM

I have some GULP but the liquid turned dark .Is it still good ?
Posted By: Grinder55

Re: Is Gulp! That Much Better - 05/23/17 02:22 PM

Last summer we were throwing some croaker on a slow - and I do mean slow - trout bite at a deep shell reef in CC Bay.

My cuz had a Pearl 3" Gulp! so I put one a on a Glow Rockport Rattler 1/4 oz. jig and had 5 keeper trout in 8 casts. Rigged the kids up with some and they caught some trout as well.

Started using them on my wade fish trips ( I put some juice and the Gulp! shrimp in an empty vitamin bottle in my shirt pocket for easy access and no Gulp juice leaking on my shirt ) and caught a 18" trout when I wasn't fishing and was just getting a wind knot off the end of my fishin' pole.

yeah .. they work.
Posted By: eyeball

Re: Is Gulp! That Much Better - 05/25/17 12:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Crankalot
We went fishing this weekend in Corpus and I spent approximately 5 hours throwing paddle tails of various colors along with a few Paul Brown lures and got a few bites. I switched to a Gulp! shrimp and started getting more bites the very first cast and landed more fish.

The Gulp! was in a color combo I hadn't thrown, could that be the difference or was it the oil the lures come in, or do fish just like them more?

Thanks

So, uh, what color were you using? Maybe it was that instead of the gulp.
Posted By: Crankalot

Re: Is Gulp! That Much Better - 05/25/17 04:58 PM

Originally Posted By: eyeball

Thanks

I used two opposite colors and still had success with Gulp!
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Is Gulp! That Much Better - 05/25/17 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: eyeball

Thanks

I used two opposite colors and still had success with Gulp!

Have you tried the 4" Gulp Alive Shrimp in the New Penny color?
Posted By: BODA

Re: Is Gulp! That Much Better - 05/26/17 01:55 PM

I have had success with new penny shrimp, get ready to get 1 million hits from piggy perch
Posted By: SwampyMarsh

Re: Is Gulp! That Much Better - 05/26/17 08:40 PM

LOVE Gulp!
Posted By: LOVNTREE

Re: Is Gulp! That Much Better - 01/15/19 03:42 AM

Tried the 4" Gulp Alive Shrimp in the New Penny and still have but the juice is dark .I have
had it for 5 years that is why i ask. But Thanks for answering.
Posted By: karstopo

Re: Is Gulp! That Much Better - 01/15/19 04:12 AM

Next time, try the gulp and if you are getting on some fish have another rod rigged up with a similar sized jig head or hook with a similar sized non gulp offering. Try making an almost identical presentation as you did with the gulp. Or you could take off the gulp that working that’s working and put on a different color gulp of the same shape as the previous one.

I never got into fishing gulp a ton, but I think it can work just as good as something not with any added scent. Sometimes, the gulp might work better, but it could also be that the gulp works worse.
Posted By: BankAngler81

Re: Is Gulp! That Much Better - 01/15/19 05:40 AM

I always have gulp shrimp & sandworms when I go to the coast. I think its the scent more than anything. But I have had a situation when it wasn't getting bites but fresh shrimp was. I use it a lot when the pinfish are small & are stealing the shrimp pieces. They cant steal the plastic lure as easy. I started using the berkley sandworms on a size 6 or 8 Aberdeen hook to target even smaller baitfish & it also works well.
Posted By: TroutSupport.com

Re: Is Gulp! That Much Better - 01/15/19 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Crankalot

Thanks

It could have also been that you just happened to switch over to the gulp when you happened onto the fish. But, they could have also wanted a smaller bait as well or the slower presentation. Gulp is good stuff, I like it for flounder and reds. A gulp scientist did a report that scents have to be water based for fish to smell them and that's what the gulp juice is so maybe it helps somedays but if you're in the fish it usually doesn't matter.
Posted By: Alumacraft 14

Re: Is Gulp! That Much Better - 01/17/19 02:41 AM

Gulp works, I have tried similiar colors, bait and presentations. They have a higher hook up and more strikes. Never leave home without them.
Posted By: redfish31

Re: Is Gulp! That Much Better - 02/03/19 01:06 PM

What I do is take my soft plastics and put them in the juice that the gulp comes in and they work like a dream the next trip!!
Posted By: Sgrem

Re: Is Gulp! That Much Better - 02/03/19 03:34 PM

Most non-gulp soft plastics arent porous so they dont soak up any of the gulp juice....it is just whatever sticks to the surface for one or two casts. You can get a new wire brush and roll your non-gulp soft plastic on it to make a zillion little perforations to hold more juice.....or rather just buy the gulp soft plastics.

The gulp plastic is porous and soaks it up....slow release of the water based scent. Thats why it works. Great stuff.

Re: Is Gulp! That Much Better - 02/16/19 11:53 PM

It wasn't likely the color. Fish mostly see a silhouette anyway. It's just movement. The other possibility is that you miraculously eased into the fish at the same time you put the gulp on, that would also yeild the same results. But if you were fishing the same place the whole time then you'd have to just say it was the stinky stuff. Gulp is alright... use it if it helps you catch fish.
Posted By: David a B

Re: Is Gulp! That Much Better - 02/17/19 04:56 PM

We Were down in Venice for about two weeks. We stayed in the marina. You could not keep shrimp alive in the marina (that's another story). We used gulp almost exclusively and had very good success. We also used a product called Fish Bites, These look like strips of bubble gum with shrimp scent infused, We would put about 3/4 inch strip on a bare hook jig under a cork. We caught one of the biggest reds on this rig.

Re: Is Gulp! That Much Better - 02/18/19 05:04 PM

that is Louisiana though. You don't go fishing, you go 'catching'. it's literally off the hook over there in some places.
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Is Gulp! That Much Better - 02/18/19 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by redfish31
What I do is take my soft plastics and put them in the juice that the gulp comes in and they work like a dream the next trip!!

What I do here in the Galveston area is the same thing I did when I lived on the coast of N. Carolina near Swansboro. I picked up this method from a fellow that bass fishes a lot. Mind you that was back in 85' and the technique has caught on.
I inject my soft plastics with 100% Menhaden Oil. With a 10 CC syringe and a 14 gauge needle I poke holes all over the soft plastic. Not only does the bait leave a scent trail, when a fish bites down on the bait ,the bait tends to squeeze out some oil and my theory is that the fish tend to hold on to the bait. In the early 90's I was introduced to what was called " Killer Bee Bait". It was a container of 100% menhaden oil. Since then I've ordered it by the gallon. The original package came with a IV Ringer. About the same thing you'd find in the Hospitals for IV's. A person could hang the ringer over the side of the boat and set the drip, thus creating a "Slick". It still works to my notion.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum