Texas Fishing Forum

Florida Keys

Posted By: SeaHunter27

Florida Keys - 10/31/16 09:22 PM

Heading there for a week. Anyone know of any special fishing grounds? I will be at Key Colony Beack. Have a boat for a week. Atlantic side or Gulf side?
Posted By: smooth move

Re: Florida Keys - 11/01/16 11:58 PM

go with the wind. if it's out of the east, fish the gulf. out of the west, fish the atlantic. we did real good by just hanging around the mangrove islands on the gulf side.
Posted By: SeaHunter27

Re: Florida Keys - 11/03/16 08:10 PM

Thank you.
Posted By: Kanan lures

Re: Florida Keys - 11/15/16 09:11 PM

I've personally tried fishing the keys on a kayak. Unfortunately the 3 days I was there, the wind was so strong I couldn't cast twice, or I had drifted 20 yards.

It all depends on how you'll be fishing (shore, kayak, boat, etc).

If you're fishing on shore, I'd recommend one of the many bridges. You'll see plenty of people doing so, and no advice is better than that of a local angler.

Kayak fishing, try to stay out of the wind and float around the mangroves. Don't be surprised when your eye notices a dozen of iguanas sitting in the brush! Those things are huge and plentiful at the keys.

Always pay attention to seagulls. You'll see them flocking and diving in the water. Almost a guarantee that there's a school of bait fish, and predators feeding!

Off shore, I can't give much advice on that. I'd say take a guided fishing trip. There's plenty of them at the keys.

Good luck out there!
Posted By: TroutSupport.com

Re: Florida Keys - 11/16/16 01:33 PM

Originally Posted By: smooth move
go with the wind. if it's out of the east, fish the gulf. out of the west, fish the atlantic. we did real good by just hanging around the mangrove islands on the gulf side.

Can't go wrong here.. and if you want some tarpon action just fish the bridges.
Posted By: Froghunter

Re: Florida Keys - 12/03/16 11:06 PM

Any janurary advice?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum