Texas Fishing Forum

Freshwater Lures in Saltwater...

Posted By: Ioben Borbiliac

Freshwater Lures in Saltwater... - 09/28/16 02:15 PM

Anyone tried using their freshwater lures in salt? Any luck? I'm looking for a good all-around lure for both types of water since Houston is home to so many types of waters.

I'm tempted to try my Rat-L-Trap this weekend, but I'd hate to spook the trout... Also, read where some people have been successful catching reds on them, but the powerful bites usually result in scrapes of the clear coat, leading to a bad trailing lure on the next cast.
Posted By: REDGUN

Re: Freshwater Lures in Saltwater... - 09/28/16 04:55 PM

Short of needing to replace the hooks (to help keep them from rusting), no reason why most bass baits wouldn't work in the saltwater. thumb
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Freshwater Lures in Saltwater... - 09/28/16 05:28 PM

I've used magnum rattletraps in saltwater for tuna fishing. Just swapped the hooks for 4x VMCs and no problems.

Likewise, bass spinnerbaits and smiliar lures work just fine for redfish in the bays. Just rinse them off afterwards.
Posted By: Gato Azul

Re: Freshwater Lures in Saltwater... - 09/28/16 06:16 PM

A lot of soft plastic swim baits will work in salt just like they do in fresh water.
Posted By: Dognot

Re: Freshwater Lures in Saltwater... - 09/28/16 09:08 PM

Bone white Zara spooks work good in both fresh and salt.
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Freshwater Lures in Saltwater... - 09/29/16 12:45 AM

Pretty much any lure that works on bass will work on reds or specks. I've been seen chunking Rattletraps in the salt before. Just be aware that salt is hard on the hardware.
Posted By: C.M.

Re: Freshwater Lures in Saltwater... - 09/29/16 01:12 AM

Crappie jigs work like a charm -- I used them in Bolivar surf and it was fish on every cast... Even got a flounder :-)
Posted By: Ranger-188-2007

Re: Freshwater Lures in Saltwater... - 09/29/16 01:37 AM

Just take a toothbrush and wash down your baits after using them in salt water. Dawn soap and rinse good.
Posted By: kickingback

Re: Freshwater Lures in Saltwater... - 10/01/16 11:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Jim Ford
Pretty much any lure that works on bass will work on reds or specks. I've been seen chunking Rattletraps in the salt before. Just be aware that salt is hard on the hardware.

THIS!!

I have MANY bass lures that catch many trout and reds. You can use the hooks that come with it until your first outing then change after. Spinners work well too! Try the "Whopper Plopper". New lure that is getting attention.
Posted By: TroutSupport.com

Re: Freshwater Lures in Saltwater... - 10/03/16 12:41 PM

Yep.. theyll all work.. some better than others. What's important is throwing that bait in front of fish.

Change out the harware for stainless splitrings (#3s) and tinned or galvanized hooks and you're good to go
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Freshwater Lures in Saltwater... - 10/03/16 06:37 PM

Sassy Shads
Posted By: mattybbassing

Re: Freshwater Lures in Saltwater... - 10/04/16 12:03 AM

i used to always catch mess from my dad but i love to use freshwater baits i love to use spinner baits and swim baits i also use my crank baits and rattle traps on reds
Posted By: Grinder55

Re: Freshwater Lures in Saltwater... - 10/04/16 12:07 PM

yep - they will work ... from rattle-traps to soft plastics.
Posted By: JackCaster

Re: Freshwater Lures in Saltwater... - 10/05/16 05:28 PM

Kastmaster's in gold with the yellow tail. 3/8 or 1/2 oz. Reds love them, specs will eat them, too. Its a must have in anyone's box. We fish them here in the DFW area lakes for sandbass and hybrids. Guaranteed to heat up the fishing and cool down your wallet! Walmart, Academy, BP, Cabela's, Dick's, Ebay, etc... most everyone carries them. The Acme Lures website sucks so buying them direct can be a challenge. Same price as local.
Posted By: TroutSupport.com

Re: Freshwater Lures in Saltwater... - 10/06/16 04:06 PM

I will say, that most of the freshwater soft plastics are made much softer than the majority of quality saltwater lures. Sometimes that's good.. like in the case of bass assasins.. they still catch a lot of trout for me and I have a lot of confidence in them.. but when i'm just fishing for fish on the open reefs and the fish are smaller I'll tend to use something a little tougher like a TTF TroutKiller or Kelly Wiggler or Hoagie. They will stand up to a lot more teeth. On plugs and most spoons just remember to change out the hooks and split rings and you'll be good to go. I will say that the finish on most mirrolures are extra tough as well... but I'm not sure the fish care on the finish. Some of my favorite topwaters don't have much finish left on them.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum