Texas Fishing Forum

Best anchor for the Galveston jetties??

Posted By: fishbrown

Best anchor for the Galveston jetties?? - 09/05/16 07:07 PM

I'm gonna be heading to the Galveston jetties at the end of the month. Just wondering what the best anchor is for down there. I will be in my 21 ft sea pro. Thanks
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Best anchor for the Galveston jetties?? - 09/05/16 10:39 PM

Go by Boyd's One Stop at the base of the TxCity Dike. They carry BOYLE'S ANCHORS. They are the BEST anywhere you anchor. You will most likely use a 9#'er. Accept NO substitutes. Around $35. I use about 4 ft. of chain with mine.
Posted By: TroutSupport.com

Re: Best anchor for the Galveston jetties?? - 09/06/16 01:35 PM

For the jetties you want something like a grapple hook set. A Mighty Mite, which is a good one but you can also make one with rebar and concrete. The reason is that you want something that will bend out if need be. Many, many anchors have been lost at the jetties. If you need to tug your anchor out of the rocks with the outboard the tines of the mighty mite or rebar anchor will bend.. other anchors will slip inside the rocks and not budge.. bye bye to that anchor. Once you get your anchor back just rebend it back into place and you're good to go.

I'm not affiliated with Mighty Mite non any rebar companies. It's the only anchor for that specific use. .. Now if you are anchoring on the sand on the outside of the jetty.. then yes, any Danforth anchor will do.
Posted By: rex phillips

Re: Best anchor for the Galveston jetties?? - 09/06/16 02:33 PM

Originally Posted By: TroutSupport.com
For the jetties you want something like a grapple hook set. A Mighty Mite, which is a good one but you can also make one with rebar and concrete. The reason is that you want something that will bend out if need be. Many, many anchors have been lost at the jetties. If you need to tug your anchor out of the rocks with the outboard the tines of the mighty mite or rebar anchor will bend.. other anchors will slip inside the rocks and not budge.. bye bye to that anchor. Once you get your anchor back just rebend it back into place and you're good to go.

I'm not affiliated with Mighty Mite non any rebar companies. It's the only anchor for that specific use. .. Now if you are anchoring on the sand on the outside of the jetty.. then yes, any Danforth anchor will do.

THIS and tie a float on the rope so if you have to chase a bigun you can come back and find it.
Posted By: fishbrown

Re: Best anchor for the Galveston jetties?? - 09/13/16 02:14 AM

Thanks for the input
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum