Texas Fishing Forum

Where to fish

Posted By: Dad2rlkm

Where to fish - 07/22/16 10:25 PM

I moved from Louisiana to Texas last year. All my saltwater fishing prior to now was done in the Calcasieu Lake (Big Lake) area south of Lake Charles, LA. I either fished the main lake, the saltwater marshes behind the wiers or the industrial cuts off the ship channels (Olin, PPG, Hamark, LNG etc).
I know nothing about where to fish in south Texas. I would prefer to not drive all the way down to Port Aransas if I can help it (I live in the Waxahachie/Maypearl area south of Dallas).
Can anyone tell me some decent areas to try in the Baytown or Galveston Bay areas? I am not asking for the coordinates to your favorite spots, I am just looking for general areas to research.
Thanks.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Where to fish - 07/22/16 10:41 PM

Texas geography can be a bit confusing.
You can be in Port O' Connor/Seadrift in about the same time it takes to get to Galveston. The fishing is just a little different, much shallower, less obvious tide influence, and more opportunities for real sight fishing. Also be prepared to share the bay with a few more friends than you're probably used to.
Posted By: Dad2rlkm

Re: Where to fish - 07/24/16 10:26 PM

Thanks Pat. I see you are running a shearwater type boat. Can the area you suggest be fished from a standard bay boat?
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Where to fish - 07/25/16 01:36 PM

The further south you go, the shallower the bays get. If you go out of POC, there's the jettys, big bay to the east, and fairly well marked boat channels heading west. But...you'll probably be shut out of all the back lakes but Pringle, and the oyster reefs further south can be a little tricky.
Posted By: TroutSupport.com

Re: Where to fish - 07/25/16 01:54 PM

Galveston bay is probably the closest and it's one of the best fisheries on the coast.

Right now the reefs just south and south east of eagle point have been improving as well as some east bay reefs (those closest to the south shoreline).

Big Lake is certainly the cats meow for fishing, but Galveston is pretty darn good. The mid to lower coast areas have a different feel to them becuase of the beauty... the grass flats and clearer water. It's an entirely different experience. There are some good fish there as well.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum