Texas Fishing Forum

Catamaran wasn't bullying off of Port A

Posted By: jtwhites85

Catamaran wasn't bullying off of Port A - 07/06/16 12:54 PM

Hey just wanted to take a second and mention something that happened last Wednesday at a platform just west of Boatmen's Reef in case the people involved are members. We were out on a really nice flat day in the 22' Blue Wave and saw a big catamaran circling the platform at a pretty good clip. As we got closer we noticed that there were 2 boats tied up fishing at the platform. One was an older Blue Wave with 3 people on board and were starting to get swamped by the wake that the catamaran was making.

Like others we thought the catamaran was "bullying" the boat tied up to try to muscle in for a spot. (Seen it too many times unfortunately) I turned on the VHF and tried to spot the TX numbers on the catamaran but saw the smaller Blue Wave finally get off and they were bailing by hand. We pulled up alongside and made sure that they were OK as I didn't see an antenna visible. After we did that we turned around to try to get the numbers and call the CG.

But as we started back towards them we heard their distress call being answered by CC CG as they were taking on water and had spun a prop on one of the outboards. They finally got tied up and the CG responded quickly.

Just wanted to let the others that had been in the area know what had been going on in case they read the forum.
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Catamaran wasn't bullying off of Port A - 07/06/16 02:20 PM

It pays to keep your VHF on Ch.16 and turned on when venturing out anywhere. I assume the Cat made it home OK.
Glad you tried to assist others.
Posted By: BODA

Re: Catamaran wasn't bullying off of Port A - 07/11/16 12:09 PM

spooky stuff getting in a hard spot off shore like that
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum