Texas Fishing Forum

Fishing from the shore at Port A

Posted By: juggin4cats

Fishing from the shore at Port A - 07/01/16 12:04 AM

For starters Im not a salt water fisherman.......I am straight up freshwater.....going to Port A for a few days and will have access to the beach out of the back door. What can a guy fish for off the shore? bait? etc.....thanks for any help.
Ken
Posted By: lite-liner

Re: Fishing from the shore at Port A - 07/01/16 01:53 AM

jetties. bull reds, jacks, spanish mack, snappers, flounders, trout, you never know.
everything works. tidal movement is key.
bait or lures, it's your best bet for action.
Posted By: _Scooter_

Re: Fishing from the shore at Port A - 07/01/16 03:25 PM

Always watch for birds working bait, throw topwater plugs early and late and use jigs or live/cut bait during the day. The jetties always have fish, and the Surf can be loaded with trout if the tides/wind/water clarity is right. If you're having a tough time during the day, go fish the lights at night- you should at least get a few trout that way.

From what it sounds like you're on the beach so here's what I would do. Grab 2" PVC and cut a sand spike rodholder, get a decent 7'-9' surf spinning combo, and a cast net. The surf is usually loaded with mullet first thing in the morning, so get out there and net some for cut bait. Rig up a double drop surf rig with two mullet head sections and a 3 or 4oz weight. Cast it out as close to the first or second gut as you can get. After that, just grab a cold beverage set down and wait for something to start ripping drag. Reds, Trout, Rays, Gafftopsail, Black Drum, Jacks, Sharks, and Hardheads will keep you busy if you get the bait into the right spot.
Posted By: TOO

Re: Fishing from the shore at Port A - 07/01/16 04:09 PM

Scoot has a solid simple game plan, only addition I'd suggest is if the surf is rough, meaning no hint green water anywhere, you might want to focus on bait, live various ways, or dead on the bottom. Rough surf is a real bugger for inexperienced fishermen, especially throwing lures.

Rough to me is when you see sandy brown water all the time. You will surrounded by beache's as the day progresses, so be aware of that.

Personally when the surf is brown & rough, I fish the bays, jetties, channels, etc. Life's too short to get pounded by waves for hours in those conditions.

Originally Posted By: _Scooter_
Always watch for birds working bait, throw topwater plugs early and late and use jigs or live/cut bait during the day. The jetties always have fish, and the Surf can be loaded with trout if the tides/wind/water clarity is right. If you're having a tough time during the day, go fish the lights at night- you should at least get a few trout that way.

From what it sounds like you're on the beach so here's what I would do. Grab 2" PVC and cut a sand spike rodholder, get a decent 7'-9' surf spinning combo, and a cast net. The surf is usually loaded with mullet first thing in the morning, so get out there and net some for cut bait. Rig up a double drop surf rig with two mullet head sections and a 3 or 4oz weight. Cast it out as close to the first or second gut as you can get. After that, just grab a cold beverage set down and wait for something to start ripping drag. Reds, Trout, Rays, Gafftopsail, Black Drum, Jacks, Sharks, and Hardheads will keep you busy if you get the bait into the right spot.
Posted By: dune2218

Re: Fishing from the shore at Port A - 07/04/16 10:27 PM

check this post,,,,, it has the answer to your question. 2 miles down the beach. I posted a pic of where to go.
September/October Pier Fishing Trip to Port Aransas
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum