Texas Fishing Forum

Rod for trout and reds.

Posted By: Sand_Fly

Rod for trout and reds. - 05/21/16 03:49 PM

What is the best baitcast rod size and action for trout and reds. Next month I am going to Venice and while the guide has everything we need, I would like to bring one of my own. 7ft Medium Veritas, 7ft Falcon HD Medium Heavy. Paired with a Shimano Chronarch or Calcutta baitcaster. How would this set up work. I have other rods but these were my top two options. What are yall's thoughts?
Posted By: Capt Craig

Re: Rod for trout and reds. - 05/22/16 07:29 PM

Typically I fish a 7' Medium Heavy rod for most fresh and salt water fish, until I target something bigger like cobia and then I like a 7 or 7'6" heavy. You should be fine with what you are wanting to bring.
Posted By: trout yakin

Re: Rod for trout and reds. - 05/22/16 11:07 PM

I use 6'-5 or 6" med/light.
Posted By: fish on the fly

Re: Rod for trout and reds. - 05/24/16 02:12 AM

Everybody that I know and including myself uses a 7' med. light
Posted By: Sand_Fly

Re: Rod for trout and reds. - 05/30/16 07:08 PM

Also what kind of line would be best suited for inshore fishing. Braid or mono? And what pound test. I have 10lb mono on right now.
Posted By: kickingback

Re: Rod for trout and reds. - 05/30/16 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: fish on the fly
Everybody that I know and including myself uses a 7' med. light
This!

I use 20-30lb braid with 24" 30 lb mono leader tied double uni knot then tied to lure like top water or twitch bait with a Rapala knot. Use it tied to a popping cork and bottom rig as well. Careful on the bottom rig as braid does not break as easily if hung up.

Everyone has their own preference on line as some float and some stretch etc. so applying a particular line to a certain situation you could use two or three rods all tied with different lines to get your own feel next time you are out. You will be amazed at how you can "feel" the difference in line with different lures.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Rod for trout and reds. - 05/30/16 11:37 PM

Softer action for plastics ml or l will keep the hook in better.
Flounder are the exception I use a heavy to stab the hook home in them.
Posted By: fishinlance

Re: Rod for trout and reds. - 06/14/16 01:16 AM

Venice water is so brown you can get away with rope if you wanted to
Posted By: TroutSupport.com

Re: Rod for trout and reds. - 06/21/16 02:12 PM

Med action in 6'6 to 7'0 is a good all around lure rod from plastics to tops. Plastics on jig head... Med light.

I prefer to wade and use 6'6 and 6'9 Med Action with fast tip and it covers a very wide range.
Posted By: Connor S

Re: Rod for trout and reds. - 06/21/16 09:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Sand_Fly
What is the best baitcast rod size and action for trout and reds. Next month I am going to Venice and while the guide has everything we need, I would like to bring one of my own. 7ft Medium Veritas, 7ft Falcon HD Medium Heavy. Paired with a Shimano Chronarch or Calcutta baitcaster. How would this set up work. I have other rods but these were my top two options. What are yall's thoughts?

What many old salts, guides and I use is a 6'6" medium power moderate action baitcaster for topwaters, thrown on 30-50lb braid to a short mono leader 14-25lb or straight mono 14-20lb. You want to stick with a low profile reel, unless you prefer casting a round bail all day.

If you are throwing soft plastics then throw a flouro leader from your braid to a light jighead 1/16-1/4oz. The low profile reel will help you cast these lighter baits.

I'd shy away from the medium heavy rod unless you know y'all are getting into some over slot reds, especially if you want a better shot at landing a giant trout.

Tight lines.
Posted By: Grinder55

Re: Rod for trout and reds. - 06/22/16 01:17 PM

med/light

7' should serve you well ... I use an 8 1/2' Loomis, it covers more distance.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum