Texas Fishing Forum

FINALLY hitting the coast for the 1st time!

Posted By: BroIncarnate

FINALLY hitting the coast for the 1st time! - 05/18/16 09:46 PM

Hey guys!

So I am heading over to Galveston Island this weekend with 4 friends-- SUPER NEW to coast, 1st trip-- We plan on hitting SWP, 91st Pier and maybe TCD? I currently have plenty of tackle:

My poles:
10ft ProAngler with Penn Fierce II-- Spooled with 20lb MONO (I have 30lb MONO for a leader)
7ft ML Ugly Stik Gx2 with some 40-50$ abu spinning reel-- Spooled with 20lb MONO
7ft MH Zebco with a 30$ spinning reel-- 12lb MONO
6 1/2 M - Some cheap rod with a 30$ spinning reel-- 12lb MONO

I am hoping to land a bull red/shark of some kind with my 10 footer and would like to ask you guys for suggestions on what I should change about the rig-- I know I need some sort of steel leader and like a 9/0 or so circle hook?

Anything to help would be great! I can use the smaller rods for reds/flounder/specks with what is on them currently--

Any changes/recommendations welcome!

Thanks!!!!!
Posted By: smooth move

Re: FINALLY hitting the coast for the 1st time! - 05/19/16 02:23 AM

this time of year, the TCD can pay off at night. i've had best luck at the end of the dyke. there's a little beach on the left side at the end of the dyke that gets over looked and can pay off pretty good.
Posted By: walthend1

Re: FINALLY hitting the coast for the 1st time! - 05/19/16 05:19 AM

Originally Posted By: smooth move
this time of year, the TCD can pay off at night. i've had best luck at the end of the dyke. there's a little beach on the left side at the end of the dyke that gets over looked and can pay off pretty good.

Wish I had some lights so I can go try that out!
Posted By: Fritz423

Re: FINALLY hitting the coast for the 1st time! - 05/19/16 06:48 AM

Just a quick tip: steel leaders are almost never needed. I use 10# mono main and 30# Big Game Trilene leader and have caught sharks, kings plus all the inshore usuals.
Posted By: BODA

Re: FINALLY hitting the coast for the 1st time! - 05/19/16 11:53 AM

Good for you man, I would have used power pro instead of the 20lb mono. Good luck, hope the weather cooperates
Posted By: TroyKing

Re: FINALLY hitting the coast for the 1st time! - 05/19/16 10:16 PM

Your tackle looks good.you may want to add some gulp chartreuse swimming mullet.also learn how to tie some drop leaders out of heavier mono and braid.
Posted By: Capt Jerry

Re: FINALLY hitting the coast for the 1st time! - 05/20/16 12:36 AM

Those gold DOA shrimp under a one of those popping corks will definitely catch trout.
Posted By: TroutSupport.com

Re: FINALLY hitting the coast for the 1st time! - 05/20/16 12:46 PM

For the lights you might want to add a small silver jerk bait like a crystal flash you zuri. work it very erratically and it'll catch a slightly bigger fish from the lights. Any small silver lipped jerk bait will work. Get one about 3 inches long with a shallow diving lip and just twitch it erratically.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum