Texas Fishing Forum

Flounder population boom

Posted By: dissturbbed

Flounder population boom - 04/24/16 03:42 PM

Anybody else noticed there are suddenly more flounders than ever? I live in the southeast texas area and just about everybody I know including myself are limiting out in no time. Never seen this before in my life.
Posted By: Minnowkiller

Re: Flounder population boom - 04/24/16 10:04 PM

Just tell me where at that you're catching these and I'll come check and give you my opinion wink
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Flounder population boom - 04/24/16 11:43 PM

They've always been there, Spring run in full effect. I could argue though that having 2 wet winters in a row have really helped the spawn.
Posted By: TroutSupport.com

Re: Flounder population boom - 04/25/16 03:15 PM

X2. and there probably is an increase do to the conservation measures put into place several years ago. It helps. But yes, like Bayou Runner said, it' is also the best part of the spring run. The water temp is finally right for the fish to be where people fish for them.

good eating and fun fish to catch.
Posted By: Grinder55

Re: Flounder population boom - 04/25/16 10:48 PM

Spring flounder under way and yes, I have been saying that my flounder catches have gone up for quite some time now. It's like I go trout fishing and am also catching a flounder in my trout hole. No complaints about that around here, ... especially from my wife.

Posted By: BudT

Re: Flounder population boom - 04/26/16 02:16 AM

Yeah, 10-4 it's been a long time since I have seen a spring run like this.
Posted By: FishWrangler2

Re: Flounder population boom - 04/27/16 11:00 PM

That's fun to hear that people are catching plenty this spring! I don't think I realized there was a "spring" run. Hope to hook a couple chasing reds and trout in a couple of weeks!
Posted By: reelswift

Re: Flounder population boom - 04/29/16 12:10 PM

The flounder numbers were down for several years that is great news.
Posted By: dissturbbed

Re: Flounder population boom - 04/30/16 12:10 PM

First i heard of this spring run, When does it begin and how long does it last?
Posted By: BillyVanWard

Re: Flounder population boom - 04/30/16 01:54 PM

Flounder head to spawn in the open ocean in fall and return in spring, resulting in two runs. Each run lasts a few weeks with a peak of around 10-14 days. Some flatties stay in the bay or marsh all year, though.

Conservation measures are at least somewhat responsible for the current bounty, just as we saw with redfish after they were seriously overfished years ago.

So, get out there an' git 'em. I've caught more flounder on Road Runners with the body replaced with a Zoom twin tail than any other lure, surprisingly.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum