Texas Fishing Forum

Freeport Jetties and SLP

Posted By: OUFishing-Sean

Freeport Jetties and SLP - 03/29/16 11:55 PM

Probably going to to go to the Freeport jetties this Saturday, any reports on the fishing there?? Also went to San Luis pass last weekend and caught a couple small rays and bonnet heads, any tips on how to catch the Reds, trout, flounder, and black drum there?? I am also willing to try any place near Freeport that will catch fish. Thanks
Posted By: photofishin

Re: Freeport Jetties and SLP - 03/30/16 11:16 AM

You might want to check water conditions. I went offshore two weeks ago and the water coming out of Freeport looked like chocolate milk because of the rain.
Posted By: TroutSupport.com

Re: Freeport Jetties and SLP - 03/30/16 01:30 PM

You can wade Christmas bay south shoreline for trout and the reefs at the back end of it for reds and flounder. There are reds and trout mixed in the pass right now.. but scattered and you have to be on them. Look for schools of scared baitfish and the predators won't be far. Right now the fish are keyed in on small glass minnows that came into the near pass bay areas in late february and are just the right size now.

Small shiny topwaters like a spook junior or yozuri and small soft plastic baits such as bass assassin paddle tails or norton sand eels in pearl or glow will all do fine. it's not so much the bait, but learning the skills of reading the water to find the fish that is important. Start out by fishing structure and current with some bait activity and be willing to weed out water and move. Sometimes they just aren't at the piers.
Posted By: 4x4Active

Re: Freeport Jetties and SLP - 03/30/16 04:57 PM

We got 2 man limit on smack last sunday at ss jetty with silver spoon.
Posted By: OUFishing-Sean

Re: Freeport Jetties and SLP - 03/30/16 05:56 PM

Wow, what was the water clarity like, time of day, tide??
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Freeport Jetties and SLP - 04/09/16 03:51 PM

I gave my boat to my daughter last year. I no longer fish at SLP, but you need clear water and a moving tide.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum