Texas Fishing Forum

Soft Plastic Experts Get in Here

Posted By: walthend1

Soft Plastic Experts Get in Here - 03/28/16 06:55 PM

I know there is isn't a "best" brand/type of soft plastic baits out there, but which is ur favorite and if u could only have one type for a lifetime supply, which would it be? What are the differences, advantages, and disadvantages of soft plastics such as gulp shrimp, Norton sand eels, and TTF Trout Killers? Which species are they best for?
Interested to read all the replies and hopefully learn some new things.
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Soft Plastic Experts Get in Here - 03/28/16 07:18 PM

You can throw ANY type soft plastic in Salt. Just because it's saltwater, don't discount some Bass plastics, especially the smaller swimbaits. Gulp is good but messy and will shrink if you do not put back in the original container. Some prefer the harder formulation plastic baits to not have to re-rig after 2 or 3 fish. I prefer the softer ones as I believe they hold on longer to them after a strike.

Re: Soft Plastic Experts Get in Here - 03/28/16 07:27 PM

That's the one thing I don't like about Gulp - the smell/messiness. That and the price. That's the reason why I'm just looking for something new to try next time.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Soft Plastic Experts Get in Here - 03/28/16 11:12 PM

My bag has two baits Hogie super minnows when the water is stained, Norton Sand Eel when it's clear. That's about my selection, haven't found anything else to drag around.
Hogie colors:
pumpkin/Chartreuse
red/white
white/chartreuse
Eel colors:
tequila/chart.
plum/chart.
baffin magic.

My seadrift neighbor ONLY throws norton bull minnows in plum/chartreuse, and catches a lot of trout. If you think it'll work, it probably will.

Re: Soft Plastic Experts Get in Here - 03/29/16 03:14 AM

Thanks for the reply Mr. Goff. I'm gonna have to try those Norton Lures out. Heard a lot of ppl having using them with success.
Posted By: TroutSupport.com

Re: Soft Plastic Experts Get in Here - 03/29/16 02:17 PM

The Kelly Wigglers are nice as well. Solid bait, hold up a long time and will catch a lot of fish. The Ball Tail shad from them will catch some big trout too.

Re: Soft Plastic Experts Get in Here - 03/29/16 02:53 PM

Never heard of those. Will look into them. Thx
Posted By: capt grumpy

Re: Soft Plastic Experts Get in Here - 03/29/16 04:03 PM

A lot of plastic will work, find what you have confidence in and go with it, I fish a fluke type bait that I pour seems to work fine, I have a friend that throws a shrimp tail in pearl white with a jig wont throw any thing else for reds. You have to have faith in your bait what ever it is.
Posted By: Grinder55

Re: Soft Plastic Experts Get in Here - 03/30/16 06:28 PM

Norton Lures are durable and work well.

My favorite - if only had to use 1 year round, would be the 5" SW Bass Assassins in plum/chartreuse ... it catches the big 3 for me year round (trout, reds n' flounder) and some local Trophy Trout Tourney guides & anglers use them and catch trout in the 7 - 10 lb. range yearly and have been for quite some time now.

Re: Soft Plastic Experts Get in Here - 03/30/16 10:32 PM

Thx for the reply. I've heard those SW Bass Assassins are good for rigging weedless too.
I've also heard a lot of good things about Down South Lures. Any feedback about them? They look real good and saw them at Academy.
Posted By: fastpitch

Re: Soft Plastic Experts Get in Here - 04/04/16 09:18 PM

I have been using Down South for a while, I like them. Good action and fairly durable. Gambler flapping shads, Norton's and TTF also work well. Presentation of the bait is more important than brand or color in my opinion, although I do stick to the old rule of dark colors in low light/dirty water and light colors in bright light and clear water.
Posted By: OldFrog

Re: Soft Plastic Experts Get in Here - 04/04/16 09:53 PM

Norton sand eels are always reliable. As is Gulp..which I love.
Lately I've used Vudu Shrimp and really liked them. They cost a lot, but I think they are great for finicky trout.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Soft Plastic Experts Get in Here - 04/08/16 04:09 PM

Might have found a new favorite....

This was seven casts on a grass flat with mud streaks. Should have been six casts, but one came off. New Hogies 5" super swimming shad, electric chicken. Hard to judge size in the cooler, but they were all 20-22" trout, perfect fillet size. We're going to scarf them up tonight.

Posted By: BudT

Re: Soft Plastic Experts Get in Here - 04/09/16 02:41 PM

X2 on the SW Bass Assasin, If I could only have 1 that would be it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum