Texas Fishing Forum

Horace Caldwell pier staurday

Posted By: outdoorsman916

Horace Caldwell pier staurday - 11/15/15 05:14 PM

Well I got to the pier around 6:30 and had lines in the water by 7. It was 53 and very windy. We fished on the right side of the T head. The first catch was a little sand trout. By 8:00 the Sharks showed up. We were catching solid 2-3 footers. We were having runs every 10 minutes or so. At about 9 I had another run, so I thought that it was just gonna be another small shark and I wouldn't have a problem getting it in. Well I was wrong, it took about 75-100 yards off my reel before I even got a chance to start reeling. After about 15 minutes of fighting I finally got it to the pier. As they were dropping the net to get it, it straightens the hook and is gone. I went back later that night and the specks and sandies were tearing up gulp right as it hit the water. After a few hours of little action and almost having my tackle box stolen, we decided to call it a night. We ended the day with 4 sharks and a lot of sand trout and hardheads. We used cut mullet for sharks and shrimp for everything else. both on the bottom It was definitely great first experience fishing that pier. Also the staff was very friendly and helpful to us with tips and certain places on the pier to try. If anyone has any suggestions on what to do for next time, that would be appreciated. I was originally going for redfish but I've never caught a shark before so that was cool.
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Horace Caldwell pier staurday - 11/16/15 12:52 AM

great report! i usually catch reds there using mullet on the bottom. guess there were more sharks than reds that night you were fishing confused
Posted By: SheldonS

Re: Horace Caldwell pier staurday - 11/16/15 02:45 AM

Originally Posted By: outdoorsman916
almost having my tackle box stolen,

Cool report.

Wow how did that happen?
Posted By: outdoorsman916

Re: Horace Caldwell pier staurday - 11/19/15 12:38 PM

Yes the were tons of sharks being caught. Personally I was going after redfish but a I won't complain about catching some sharks. I'm gonna be down in Galveston on one of the piers in about a week, hopefully I have another good report.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum