Texas Fishing Forum

Where to stay with a boat when fishing on the coast?

Posted By: texas landscaper

Where to stay with a boat when fishing on the coast? - 10/30/15 07:28 PM

Im located in north Texas but love saltwater fishing way more than freshwater. Ive been addicted for a few years now but I always have a hard time finding places to stay when traveling with a boat down on the coast. I need a place that is some what cheap and safe where nobody will jack with the boat and be able to charge up etc. I usually go to Galveston, haven't been to Matagorda yet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: CDF

Re: Where to stay with a boat when fishing on the coast? - 10/30/15 09:21 PM

In Galveston you can leave the boat in the water at the harbor house hotel. I think I paid 50 a night last time but they also charge you 20 a night to park the truck and trailer at the hotel. You can also leave it at the yacht basin in a slip its around $2 a foot. I've always felt safer at the yacht basin but anything can happen anywhere. To me it's worth it to not have to load and unload each day.
Posted By: smooth move

Re: Where to stay with a boat when fishing on the coast? - 10/30/15 09:39 PM

in the galveston area, i'd get with a local realtor and rent a house on a canal. some have lifts, but even without a lift, you can leave it in the water and park the trailer in the driveway or yard.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Where to stay with a boat when fishing on the coast? - 10/31/15 03:07 AM

Just about all the seadrift and port o' connor motels are adequate.
Posted By: Capt Jerry

Re: Where to stay with a boat when fishing on the coast? - 10/31/15 10:49 AM

I camp here:

http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/goose-island

Nice campground, good boat ramp, and close to good fishing.
Posted By: richg

Re: Where to stay with a boat when fishing on the coast? - 10/31/15 01:09 PM

I live in North Houston, but sometimes wish I could overnight near Galveston. That way, I would hit the evening and then morning slots without a two-hour one-way drive each day.

I'll be watching this thread to see if anyone comes up with a reasonably priced motel near the water, with good, safe parking,and access to a charging receptacle.

richg

Re: Where to stay with a boat when fishing on the coast? - 10/31/15 04:58 PM

i know a couple guys from SA that keep their boats in Corpus in a storage bldg. they built a loft in the rear of the bldg over the rear section of the boat and sealed it off and put a small A/C in it. they fish all day and wash the boat down then go eat and crash for the night.
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Where to stay with a boat when fishing on the coast? - 10/31/15 10:08 PM

If you fish the Rockport / Aransas Pass area I can recommend renting a cabin at Drifters' Resort. And any of the state parks can offer what you want if you want to RV or tent camp. The bride and I enjoyed staying in our RV at Galveston Island State Park, Brazoria County Park at San Luis Pass, Matagorda Bay Nature Park, and Goose Island State Park, as often as we could. All are good spots for your endeavors.
Posted By: TroutSupport.com

Re: Where to stay with a boat when fishing on the coast? - 11/01/15 06:11 PM

IN matagorda, just about all the hotels have adequate parking space for trailers.

In Galveston ... on the other side of Trinity you might check with the Resort at Double Bayou... Trinity is little fresh, but it's not far from smith point and east where a lot of good fishing will be this winter.
Posted By: richg

Re: Where to stay with a boat when fishing on the coast? - 11/06/15 09:08 PM

re "resort at Double Bayou"????? Google doesn't turn up anything. Is there another name for which I should be looking??

thanks richg
Posted By: DaveRTX

Re: Where to stay with a boat when fishing on the coast? - 11/07/15 01:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Pat Goff
Just about all the seadrift and port o' connor motels are adequate.

The Inn at Clark's is great in POC. Boat slip comes with a room. It's off season now so the prices are great. Ask for the bunk room if you have 4 folks in your party.

http://www.theinnatclarks.com/
Posted By: Grinder55

Re: Where to stay with a boat when fishing on the coast? - 11/07/15 03:09 PM

In Rockport from cabins to hotels/motels like Drifters' Resort to the Best Western - they have room for boats & trailers.
Posted By: Gary B

Re: Where to stay with a boat when fishing on the coast? - 11/10/15 05:48 AM

There is a Holiday Inn Express on the main drag on the beach towards the east end of the Island. You can launch at the Galveston Yacht Basin.

Re: Where to stay with a boat when fishing on the coast? - 11/10/15 06:33 PM

Originally Posted By: richg
re "resort at Double Bayou"????? Google doesn't turn up anything. Is there another name for which I should be looking??

thanks richg

try Oak Island Lodge
Posted By: fishindaddy

Re: Where to stay with a boat when fishing on the coast? - 11/27/15 09:55 PM

+1 on Oak Ise Lodge. Stayed here a few times.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum