Texas Fishing Forum

When is the best time to catch Flounder?

Posted By: milton1allen

When is the best time to catch Flounder? - 08/06/15 03:26 PM

I have never caught flounder but really want to learn. I am wanting to spend a few days camping at Galveston Island State Park and fishing for flounder. When would be the best time to go? Also, I will be bank fishing, maybe wade fishing so where would be some key areas to go to. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks...
Posted By: Mo

Re: When is the best time to catch Flounder? - 08/06/15 08:02 PM

i have only caught flounder in the marshes, never the beach.
Ambush points on moving tide.
Typically in the fall when they start moving to deeper water.
Good luck.
Mo
Posted By: Grinder55

Re: When is the best time to catch Flounder? - 08/06/15 08:10 PM

Fall is the best time to ambush migrating flounder.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: When is the best time to catch Flounder? - 08/06/15 11:45 PM

Flounder like drains, ditches, cuts and places the current goes over them and they can rise up and snatch a meal.
Posted By: TroutSupport.com

Re: When is the best time to catch Flounder? - 08/07/15 12:39 PM

They can be caught almost all year. Sure, the fall is the best since they will be concentrating in numbers coming back out of the marsh...that starts by staging beginning in late August but the best will be Oct - Mid Dec.

That said, you can catch them all year fishing some of the areas Pat and Mo mentioned. There are some guts that flow water on moving tide on the bay side between Lake Como and Dana's cove... fish there with 3/16th head and curl tail gulp. Cast upcurrent and work it back to you along the bottom bouncing it back to you along the bottom. They hit with a nice thump, but sometimes you'll just feel dead weight. Sometimes they just bit the tail and not the hook... most will count to 5 or 10 before setting the hook, by then they'll typically have taken a second bite... bigger flounder tend to inhale it immediately, it's mostly the small ones that bite the tail and you have to wait on. I personally don't wait very long reason is i'd rather not gut hook smaller ones and that just ends up killing them. The bigger ones will eat it and have it in their mouth ... Set the hook hard, they have bonny mouths and it can be hard to get a hook in them. Use a jighead with a sharp hook as well.

hope that helps.
tobin@troutsupport.com
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: When is the best time to catch Flounder? - 08/07/15 01:18 PM

Oldham head with the gamakatsu hook is the real ticket on bite to actually hook ratio. Flounder will clamp down on a jig really hard and if you don't give it a good snap on settiing the hook, or you'll get a good fight, then they'll open their mouth and swim away.
Posted By: Grinder55

Re: When is the best time to catch Flounder? - 08/08/15 03:47 AM

Flounder are an aggressive fish with some serious teeth .. only SaltH2O fish I have strung on a stringer that would keep attacking my legs while on a stringer with trout n' reds.
Posted By: texcajun

Re: When is the best time to catch Flounder? - 08/08/15 09:42 PM

There is some pretty good wade fishing right out of the state park there at Galveston. I have caught plenty of flounder there in the past. Be careful while wading out there though, I've seen and hooked a lot of rays there as well. 1/16th to 1/8th oz jigs using 2~3" Gulps will catch just about anything there. And like Pat Goff says, set the hook hard an them flounder!
Posted By: james v

Re: When is the best time to catch Flounder? - 08/19/15 12:17 AM

Good Advice from all, I also want to give flounder a try this fall.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum