Texas Fishing Forum

First time salt water fishing, what lure to use?

Posted By: YakRider

First time salt water fishing, what lure to use? - 05/07/15 09:08 PM

Hi, I have never done salt water fishing before and we will be heading East to Port St. Joe, FL in about a month for familiy vacation. The place where I stay has a kayka so I will be fishing from a kayak. I will be probably fishing in St. Joseph bay. Can anyone give me some advice on what lures to use to fish in the bay. I don't know what fish is in there, I am guessing redfish?
I don't want to spend too much on it because this is just a one time deal... Just a few must-have lures.
Posted By: Larry Bozka

Re: First time salt water fishing, what lure to use? - 05/07/15 10:05 PM

Get you some soft plastic shadtails ... colors chartreuse, red or white as basics ... and buy jigheads to accommodate them. Make sure to get some fluorocarbon leader, and learn to tie a double-surgeon's knot for a line-to-line connection. Other option is a shall barrel swivel (buy black barrel swivels, and get the good ones, like those made by Sampo or Berkley. A few 1/4-ounce gold spoons are always good to have on hand (they'll require the fluorocarbon leader/barrel swivel combo.
On my website, www.coastalanglers.com. there is a substantial inventory of how-to pieces in the library. Take a look at it, and you'll probably leave with some usable info.
Good luck!

Larry
Posted By: Fish Art Texas

Re: First time salt water fishing, what lure to use? - 05/17/15 08:59 PM

use gulp shrimp under a popping cork on 1\8 oz. jig head shallow leader,maybe 18 to20 inches,this rig will usually get you bit. or just throw the jig and plastic with a slow retrieve above the grass,hop and sink.but remember you can't catch fish where there are not any!
Posted By: smooth move

Re: First time salt water fishing, what lure to use? - 05/17/15 11:06 PM

take a mask and snorkel. if scallop season is open, Pt St Joe is a great place to pick some! google the fl scallop season, it changes every year. there's a marina, Presnells on the gulf side of the bay and they'll answer all your questions, good folks.
Posted By: APynckel

Re: First time salt water fishing, what lure to use? - 05/19/15 02:03 AM

Nothing wrong with live shrimp, finger mullet, or croaker on a carolina type bottom rig!
Posted By: OUFishing-Sean

Re: First time salt water fishing, what lure to use? - 05/21/15 09:23 PM

Shrimp, mullet, and crabs will catch pretty much everything you want to.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum