Texas Fishing Forum

What bait should I use for sheephead ?

Posted By: old fisherman

What bait should I use for sheephead ? - 03/02/15 05:07 PM

No live shrimp here at Port A.... What is another bait to catch Sheephead ??? I have a boat and usually fish jetty's and fina piers...
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: What bait should I use for sheephead ? - 03/02/15 06:33 PM

My favorite sheephead bait is fiddler crabs. Fresh dead peeled shrimp works good fished close to the rocks.
Posted By: outdoorsman916

Re: What bait should I use for sheephead ? - 03/03/15 02:01 PM

I like live shrimp under a cork close to rock groins.
Posted By: Minnowkiller

Re: What bait should I use for sheephead ? - 03/03/15 06:21 PM

what kind of presentation do yall use? do yall float it next to the rocks with a cork, or on the bottom, or what?
Posted By: Capt. Andrew

Re: What bait should I use for sheephead ? - 03/03/15 06:52 PM

I like free lined live shrimp. They are thick down here in SPI right now.
Posted By: 4x4Active

Re: What bait should I use for sheephead ? - 03/05/15 01:42 AM

I use live or dead shrimp under a cork.Throw em near rocks or structure. But you will also catch croakers.
Posted By: Tejas Trofeo

Re: What bait should I use for sheephead ? - 03/05/15 05:13 AM

I wouldn't waste a live shrimp on a sheepshead.

Fresh dead or sea lice fished close to structure. No cork just hook and weight with 30# leader
Posted By: Outwest

Re: What bait should I use for sheephead ? - 04/15/15 11:29 PM

Ghost shrimp, and sea anenomes work great.
Posted By: Trey_98

Re: What bait should I use for sheephead ? - 04/16/15 02:27 AM

Ghost shrimp, but you gotta get it yourself
Posted By: CaptNathan

Re: What bait should I use for sheephead ? - 04/22/15 05:27 PM

Shrimp, live is the best. No cork, just use a treble hook and 30# leader and a split shot. Works awesome for trout in the same areas.
Posted By: banderapass1

Re: What bait should I use for sheephead ? - 04/22/15 07:02 PM

SAND FLEAS --get them in the surf as it washes onto the sand beach then washes back.Use a large scoop or bucket that self drains quickly..Hook these under their collar shell,these are great bait for sheeps.

GHOST SHRIMP-get these on the beach..you will see holes in the sand with a small berm mostly at the water edge as the surf washes on the beach and goes back..Buy a pump at one of the local stores for this.Place the pump against the sand on the hole..Draw pressure up in the pump and force the pressure back out on the sand..The ghost shrimp will be in the sand you just pushed out.
Weve them on your hook.They are very delicate creatures but great bait for sheeps and whiting.
Posted By: Duckcreek Davy

Re: What bait should I use for sheephead ? - 04/30/15 03:51 AM

1) small crabs
2) small crabs
3) small crabs

Wear a leather work glove when putting them on your hook. I usually use a 3 ft. steel leader and a split shot of lead and drop them right next to the pier where I see them feeding. They absolutely can't resist biting them. It's like candy to them.
Posted By: APynckel

Re: What bait should I use for sheephead ? - 04/30/15 03:24 PM

Some kind of small crustacean with pincers, drop it down in eddies around docks or piers during the tides. That's where they hang out, feeding off that which collects there in the low pressure areas.
Posted By: walthend1

Re: What bait should I use for sheephead ? - 04/30/15 09:43 PM

How much longer till the sheepshead are gone?
Posted By: cudakilla

Re: What bait should I use for sheephead ? - 05/04/15 07:07 PM

Shrimp will work but small crabs are best. The trash fish won't mess with them. Small 1" blue crabs are the best. Sand fiddlers will work very well too. Sheepshead will drop whatever they are doing when they see crabs. It's like candy to them.

@waltend1...they never ever go away. They are around all year. They are less picky in the winter and will take live shrimp readily.
Posted By: Aixsponsa

Re: What bait should I use for sheephead ? - 05/08/15 11:25 AM

A small blue crab or a piece of cracked crab. They wouldn't need those teeth they have if they made a living eating soft stuff
Posted By: OUFishing-Sean

Re: What bait should I use for sheephead ? - 05/22/15 11:46 AM

Live fiddler crabs work best, drop it near a pole or somewhere the current is broken by a rock or something and start pullin em up.
Posted By: EastTexasNoob

Re: What bait should I use for sheephead ? - 05/26/15 03:36 AM

If you dont mind me asking here, are sheepshead found in the surf with no structures around?
Posted By: TimL

Re: What bait should I use for sheephead ? - 05/27/15 06:25 PM

Originally Posted By: EastTexasNoob
If you dont mind me asking here, are sheepshead found in the surf with no structures around?

Yes. I have seen them in clear breaking surf when it is backlit. I have occasionally caught them as well surf fishing. Best fishing for them is around the rocks and pilings though.
Posted By: Fish Art Texas

Re: What bait should I use for sheephead ? - 05/29/15 04:17 AM

very interesting topic,i need to try for some sheepshead.sucking up ghost shrimp is a sport in itself!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum