Texas Fishing Forum

Port A jetty

Posted By: Jonathan5

Port A jetty - 11/14/23 08:28 PM

Finally made it out to try saltwater fishing and can see why it's so addicting! I fished the jetty of Port A a couple of weekends ago and caught a few small fish but also got hung up a ton. I know from reading through older threads that the fish are in the rocks and getting hung up is part of the process but I must be doing something wrong. I changed from 1oz weight to just a split shot but no improvement (also tried popping cork but zero bites). What was most frustrating was I would get bit and then get hung up. Several times I could feel the fish still on but couldn't get out of the rocks. Going down again next weekend and would appreciate in advice.
I was fishing close in looking for mangrove snapper or sheepshead.
If anyone else is fishing there this Sun-Tue let me know, would enjoy having someone to talk to. I'll provide the shrimp!
Thanks J
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Port A jetty - 11/14/23 09:07 PM

Were you fishing on the inside or the outside of the jetty?

Re: Port A jetty - 11/14/23 09:42 PM

Both, but most bites and all hang ups were inside part of jetty.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Port A jetty - 11/14/23 11:41 PM

Concentrate more on the edge of the rocks not the thick middle.

Re: Port A jetty - 11/15/23 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Jonathan5
Both, but most bites and all hang ups were inside part of jetty.

Inside will be hard unless you pay a lot of attention to the tides. Pat’s comment above is a good one. Also, if you are getting hung up all the time move locations. There are holes in the rocks. I often do better on the ocean side. Throw out until you find the edge of the rocks, then increase your wights until you can hold a position.
Posted By: Gato Azul

Re: Port A jetty - 11/15/23 06:28 AM

You might want to try what many folks call a lemon rig. There's lots of Youtube videos on the topic.

Re: Port A jetty - 11/15/23 02:33 PM

Thank you guys for the replies. I will spend a couple of days experimenting with these and hopefully figure it out.

Re: Port A jetty - 11/16/23 12:35 AM

Thank you guys for the replies. I will spend a couple of days experimenting with these and hopefully figure it out.

Let us know how you do. And good luck.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Port A jetty - 11/16/23 02:31 AM

Free shrimp. Light split shot rig that slowly sinks down. Adjust weight to the tide.

Slip cork rig works good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoSMwILJVBc

I like the rubber bobber stops.

Also fish deep where the rocks end and hit the channel.
Posted By: me and the boys

Re: Port A jetty - 11/17/23 12:08 AM

Anyone here with experience willing to pm info?
Neybe here, I’m going over thanksgiving would appreciate any advice.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Port A jetty - 11/17/23 12:34 AM

Jetty fishing is fairly easy. Not hard to know exactly where the jetties are, The ends are usually good if it’s not too rough. Also cuts along them too. Always some sweet spots. Usually baits group up on the sweet spots. So if you see a group one time that’s likely a consistent known area. First few there get the spoils.

Need some tide movement but not too much. Secret is to have the bait presented where they want it and not hanging up too much. Try a few different presentations. Last time we fished at the Matagorda Jettie for Reds they liked an area about the size of two trucks at the end of the South Jetty. All the guides said “that boat is on my hole”…lol. When one boat limited out another would slide in. End of the jettie is always a community hole. Mullet was better than Croaker that day. One cast was the juice. Just cast a Carolina rig with a 1/2 oz barrel weight and 24” leader there and wait.

Re: Port A jetty - 11/24/23 03:51 PM

I didn't end up catching much but had a good time trying (did catch one pompano). The reds were around, saw quite a few being caught by others. Thanks for all the advice!

Re: Port A jetty - 11/25/23 06:53 AM

I didn't end up catching much but had a good time trying (did catch one pompano). The reds were around, saw quite a few being caught by others. Thanks for all the advice!

A pompano is definitely a bonus fish.
Posted By: Encore Tackle

Re: Port A jetty - 01/23/24 05:34 PM

Pompano in the surf are a great winter option. If you take the Jetty Boat to the North Jetty, you can walk on the beach and fish for hundred of yards. Fish with a bottom rig with one or two hooks. Pyramid sinkers of different weights are good choices, adjust the amount of weight depending on the current. Fish Bites and peeded dead shrimp are my preferences for pompano bait. You will likely catch some nice whiting in the surf as well. Good luck!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum