Texas Fishing Forum

Headed to SPI

Posted By: Squirrely Dan

Headed to SPI - 06/09/18 12:47 AM

Vacationing next week. What lures do I need to throw in the surf? Don’t care what I catch just fun fishing.
Posted By: cactusrat

Re: Headed to SPI - 06/09/18 01:56 AM

Silver or gold spoon.
Speck rig along the bottom..
Posted By: TroutSupport.com

Re: Headed to SPI - 06/16/18 09:14 PM

Any topwater like a one knocker, skitter walk, etc should be fine. Hard subsurface baits are also pretty good. something like a Mirrodine. Spoon is good.
Posted By: horton5303

Re: Headed to SPI - 06/19/18 11:02 PM

Get a tandom rig with 2 hooks and put the weight on the bottom and put FishBites on them. You will catch whiting all day and maybe a pompano a red you just never know!. Add a piece of shrimp to the hook and you will catch a lot of HardHead catfish. The catfish are not edible though. Get a bag of Chartreuse and a bag of the Crab Pink. I can't remember what color did best but what i did was cut about an inch of each color and put one color on the top hook and the other color on the bottom hook. Cast them into the gut past the first sandbar. You will catch fish! Tip the hook with bait shrimp and you will catch lots of HardHeads. The weight you put at the bottom of the rig depends on how rough the surf is. A 1oz will do the trick if the surf is calm but a spider weight about 1.5-2oz will be better if the wind and surf is high. The Blue Marlin grocery store sells the fishbites, Spider weights and i thank the double rigs also. Happy Fishing! I hope this helps.

Academy Double drop rig.

Fishbites

Spider weights
Posted By: smooth move

Re: Headed to SPI - 06/19/18 11:27 PM

spoons are great in the surf. big curly tails too.
Posted By: Immortal13

Re: Headed to SPI - 06/20/18 12:57 AM

Helicopter lure
Posted By: SWH

Re: Headed to SPI - 06/24/18 04:56 PM

Are there any piers on South Padre or only the big Port Isabell pier?
Posted By: Capt. Andrew

Re: Headed to SPI - 06/24/18 09:26 PM

Just port isabel.
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: Headed to SPI - 06/25/18 04:05 AM

I second the fishbites! Lots of small stuff caught but lots of fun! Cordell casting spoons are my favorite in the surf and will cast 2 miles dang near.. you can buy the spoons at Walmart.. they come 2 to the pack for less than 3-4 $
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum