Texas Fishing Forum

My Birthday Gift

Posted By: FamilyMan6

My Birthday Gift - 03/18/18 10:12 PM

My wife surprised me with a trip to New Orleans, leaving Tuesday! She had already booked a day with Shallow South guide service fly fishing for Redfish!
This will be my first flat water fly fishing trip so I thought I'd reach out to y'all for any tips and suggestions - both for fishing and passing a couple days in New Orleans. Must takes? Don't takes? I'll be using the guide's gear. Look forward to hearing any tips!
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: My Birthday Gift - 03/23/18 11:27 PM

That was nice of her! Any reds?
Posted By: smooth move

Re: My Birthday Gift - 03/24/18 02:31 AM

she's a keeper.
Posted By: FamilyMan6

Re: My Birthday Gift - 03/27/18 07:16 PM

Had a great day on the water!!! The fishing was the highlight of the trip. Caught 13 fish. Here are a few pics of some good ones. The guide let me do the pushing for a bit to get the full experience, was able to get him into a good one to finish the day out. It was as good as experience as we could have had. My wife helped reel some in and said she really enjoyed herself as well.

Miles with Shallow South did a great job keeping us on fish. Things I learned this trip are:
Use a neck gaiter tor protect yourself from the sun. My wife didn't want one and she burned. I warned her!
Wear warm clothes for the morning - getting to the fishing spot.
Practice strip setting! I habitually kept raising the rod - cost me a couple fish.
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: My Birthday Gift - 04/06/18 05:21 AM

Wtg thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum