Texas Fishing Forum

Boga-Grip

Posted By: uncle_bagster

Boga-Grip - 02/03/18 10:55 PM

I just spurged for a Boga Grip, and am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on a safety float? It's been my experience that the more something costs, the higher the likelihood it will wind up in the drink.
Posted By: smooth move

Re: Boga-Grip - 02/03/18 11:57 PM

i use a stringer float.

Re: Boga-Grip - 02/04/18 10:43 PM

Originally Posted By: smooth move
i use a stringer float.

How's the best way to attach it?
Posted By: TXMako2201

Re: Boga-Grip - 02/07/18 05:49 PM

I bought a styrafoam float from academy for like $7. The stringer float wasn't enough to float my boga and I'm not risking losing it! the float i got won't work in fresh water but does float in salt.

Re: Boga-Grip - 02/07/18 10:41 PM

I'd like to see someone make something like the retractable key rings you wear on your belt. Your Boga could then fit into a holster worn next to it.
Posted By: smooth move

Re: Boga-Grip - 02/07/18 11:36 PM

Originally Posted By: TXMako2201
I bought a styrafoam float from academy for like $7. The stringer float wasn't enough to float my boga and I'm not risking losing it! the float i got won't work in fresh water but does float in salt.

i've got the 30 lb Boga and the float pictured floats it just fine. to tell the truth, i don't remember if the lanyard came with the boga or if i used a pc of the stringer.
Posted By: TroutSupport.com

Re: Boga-Grip - 02/08/18 04:18 PM

Yep.. mine is at the bottom of the ICW around Greens Cut. LOL.

A good float will help a lot.. test it to make sure it's got enough floatation.
Posted By: Mitch Rapp

Re: Boga-Grip - 02/11/18 05:39 PM

I bought mine about 15 years ago and it's still working great....I got the float that was made for it at the time through tackle direct........can't remember the brand of float but it works....only dropped mine once since I tend to have the lanyard around my wrist when I use it.....but when I did drop it over it floated.....
Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: Boga-Grip - 02/12/18 12:43 AM

This is the one we have, it's as long as the Boga-Grip.
Posted By: captain steve barnes

Re: Boga-Grip - 02/12/18 01:57 AM

I have 60 lb and started with a float but it's always in the way and more trouble than it's worth. If you put the lanyard around your wrist every time you will never lose it.

Re: Boga-Grip - 02/12/18 11:21 PM

Originally Posted By: captain steve barnes
I have 60 lb and started with a float but it's always in the way and more trouble than it's worth. If you put the lanyard around your wrist every time you will never lose it.

That's what I'm having trouble picturing. I want to get some kind of holster to carry my grip in while wade fishing, and can't figure out where to put a float without it getting in the way.
Posted By: TXMako2201

Re: Boga-Grip - 02/13/18 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Stickchunker
This is the one we have, it's as long as the Boga-Grip.

I have the shorter version of that. Works in salt, not in fresh.
Posted By: KurtActual

Re: Boga-Grip - 02/16/18 01:49 PM

Originally Posted By: uncle_bagster
I'd like to see someone make something like the retractable key rings you wear on your belt. Your Boga could then fit into a holster worn next to it.

Those work off of a coiled spring design. Salt would destroy them far too quickly. I think you'd be better off with a coiled lanyard and a fly-fishing style magnet attachment. Magnet keeps it on your belt, and lanyard allows you to work with it. Neither would suffer from the salt exposure like a retractable cable.
Posted By: Grinder55

Re: Boga-Grip - 02/17/18 11:51 PM

parachute cord works well - tough stuff
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum