Texas Fishing Forum

May Trip - Where to Go?

Posted By: ZachW

May Trip - Where to Go? - 02/02/18 02:27 PM

Taking a long weekend trip with dad and brother in May this year. We're hoping to do some inshore/flats fishing, both fly and casting. Numbers are probably more important to us than the opportunity for a monster.

Where should we go? Texas, Louisiana, Florida, and Mexico are all on the table. And we'll use a guide most of the time. Help out a saltwater newbie!
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: May Trip - Where to Go? - 02/02/18 02:49 PM

Is there any other requirements besides chasing fish?

Re: May Trip - Where to Go? - 02/02/18 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Pat Goff
Is there any other requirements besides chasing fish?

Beer and seafood! But that's about it.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: May Trip - Where to Go? - 02/02/18 07:14 PM

Either contact Nathan in Seadrift or Andrew out of South Padre
Either would be a great trip, just remember wind is always an issue in May.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: May Trip - Where to Go? - 02/04/18 06:25 AM

I always told folks to fish south florida and the Keys after May 15 if possible. It seemed the winds normally started laying down by then. If you've never fished the Keys or back country of the Everglades National Park, that's where I would go. Most of the guides from Miami are flexible and depending on the weather they can launch from Islamorada and run over to Snake Bite or launch from Flamingo and you're there. Incredible site fishing for snook, tarpon, redfish, triple tail and bonefish in the area. Incredible scenery.

Posted By: smooth move

Re: May Trip - Where to Go? - 02/04/18 02:17 PM

Fl would be a great trip. we do it every 3 or 4 yrs. that's all my budget will permit. we haul our boat over there and get a guide at least once, then strike out on our own. only lost one lower unit.

Re: May Trip - Where to Go? - 02/06/18 02:29 PM

Florida is looking like a great option then. Any guide recommendations? We'll want to fish both fly and conventional.
Posted By: smooth move

Re: May Trip - Where to Go? - 02/06/18 03:24 PM

we did it last minute kinda and just got a guide that works out of the marina at Bud and Mary's. just google Fl guides, there's a billion of them or get on the florida sportsmans forum and go to the location you prefer. if you're looking at the panhandle area, get on the Pensacola Fishing Forum.
Posted By: TroutSupport.com

Re: May Trip - Where to Go? - 02/06/18 05:03 PM

If you're getting a guide I definitely recommend getting a recommendation if at all possible. Compared to just getting a guide from the landing. There are a lot of really great guides out there, do a little research and see if you can connect with a good one where ever you decide to go.

Ernest Cisneros is a great dude in South Padre, Andrew is great there as well, Nathan in Sea Drift, Steve Grem in POC or Rockport, Steve Reed in POC, Trey Prye or Glenn Ging in Matagorda, hit me up if you want a list of guides in Galveston I'll tell you who I could recommend there as well.
Posted By: Mo

Re: May Trip - Where to Go? - 02/06/18 05:37 PM

One of my customers went to a new lodge in Mexico last year and had a great time,
Pretty much a virgin fishery , lots of eager ( dumb ) fish. smile

Permit , bonefish and snook .

http://www.esblodge.com/

He said it was a bit pricey , but completely worth for a once in a lifetime adventure

MO
Posted By: Bruce Colby

Re: May Trip - Where to Go? - 02/08/18 09:16 PM

Check out the www.chandeleur-islander.com for a guided or non guided trip to the pristine barrier islands off the LA/MS Coast. The best trout fishing in the country.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: May Trip - Where to Go? - 02/09/18 11:01 AM

Venice, La. Add in a day of offshore with Paradise outfitters for yellowfin. Rent a house boat to stay at Venice Marina. It's some of the best inshore fishing in the world. At the end of the day you can sit on the deck, drink a beer and watch all the offshore boats bring in their catch.

Daily limits are 25 trout per person.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum