Texas Fishing Forum

Shrimp Catchin'

Posted By: V-Bottom

Shrimp Catchin' - 01/31/18 01:53 AM

Anyone here drag a 20ft trawl for your own shrimp? Do you catch your limit of 4 quarts when you go?
Posted By: karstopo

Re: Shrimp Catchin' - 01/31/18 01:32 PM

My dad and I used to go a long time ago, like 40 years, in a Boston whaler. Dad liked to go just outside the breakers in the surf back then. I don’t remember catching a ton of shrimp. Plenty of bycatch, I’m not sure he knew what he was doing. It was kind of risky right in near the breakers. We did catch some big shrimp on occasion. We didn’t do it for very long. I think he decided it was more practical to buy shrimp and ultimately cheaper. But it’s probably something you get better with the more you stick with it. No internet back then to look up how tos.
Posted By: smooth move

Re: Shrimp Catchin' - 01/31/18 03:47 PM

we did it for a while, but didn't catch much shrimp and the rules and regs and seasons are a PITA to keep up with. a bright spot though was that we took the kids and the by catch had all kinds of fishes and crabs that the kids never saw before, some i never saw before. we even started a saltwater aquarium with the stuff we'd catch. very educational stuff.
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Shrimp Catchin' - 01/31/18 04:02 PM

My dad tried that here in Galveston about 60 yrs ago. He lost his net near Sea Wolf Park, Back then it was known as the Quarranteen Station.....I remember shrimp was $1.25 a quart !! don't remember him catching anything before he lost the net.Funny tho, I saw the rope come loose from the boat.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum