Texas Fishing Forum

Cold front question

Posted By: Alumacraft 14

Cold front question - 12/07/17 02:31 AM

Where should I look for Reds after a cold front like the one we are having. I plan to fish on Sat around the mouth of Baffin Bay. Not looking for spots just general info on areas I should look for and target. Also why does a cold front effect the behavior of redfish that drives them to these specific areas.
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Cold front question - 12/07/17 05:38 PM

Reds could be anywhere. Try some fresh cut bait and a deep hole for starters
Posted By: smooth move

Re: Cold front question - 12/07/17 09:43 PM

find a moving current. thru a cut, around a point or over a drop off into deeper water. JMO.
Posted By: TroutSupport.com

Re: Cold front question - 12/18/17 02:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Alumacraft 14
Also why does a cold front effect the behavior of redfish that drives them to these specific areas.

For redfish, more than anything, cold fronts drop the tide height.. and if you're a fish that spends a lot of time in 1' of water, then you're going to pay attention to that. I've been on the flats right when a wind chance to West or north has happened and the redfish pour off the flats. They can usually be found on the edges of the flats during the time after the front hits.. that any guts that they could fall off into and take advantage of current funneling bait off a flat. The cool thing about redfish is that their feeding habits are less affected than compared to trout.

hope that helps.. A lot of guys have really loved the Shallow Redfish DVD that we make (TroutSupport.com) it covers numerous scenarios that would help in the area you fish. Don't take my word for it.. just look for all the testimonials on the internet.. easy to find them.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Cold front question - 12/18/17 11:11 PM

Redfish follow the water, they'll chase a high tide to the end, and when it starts to fall out, they'll move quick to spots they know they won't be left high and dry.

They'll gang up in the smallest spots, middle of a back lake, 6" deeper cut through a flat, it doesn't hake much to make them happy.
Posted By: Alumacraft 14

Re: Cold front question - 12/19/17 03:24 AM

Great advice, thank you all.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum