Texas Fishing Forum

Texas Ratsnake climbing a tree

Posted By: Jared D.

Texas Ratsnake climbing a tree - 05/17/15 09:42 PM

Video I took of a 5 foot Texas Ratsnake climbing a tree.

http://jareddavidsonphotography.blogspot.com/2015/05/texas-ratsnake-climbing-tree.html
Posted By: brandon f.

Re: Texas Ratsnake climbing a tree - 05/18/15 01:29 AM

Cool video. But no thanks in my yard. Lol
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Texas Ratsnake climbing a tree - 05/18/15 01:34 PM

Originally Posted By: brandon f.
Cool video. But no thanks in my yard. Lol

Plus #1. Being close to a cabin or where people will be around I would have killed it. Don't have the skill or desire to catch one. If I did have the skill to catch it I would have released it away from human traffic. Just my two cents. Again AWESOME Video and thanks for sharing.

My mistake. Thought the snake was a rattler. I would also never kill a non venomous snake. Again my mistake. Would have killed it if had been posinious in a populated area.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Texas Ratsnake climbing a tree - 05/18/15 02:08 PM

Here is a small rat snake that was living in some old Morning Glory vines from last year I pulled off the fence Saturday. I had left it up because birds were nesting in the old dead vines. Rat snakes love bird eggs, notorious for eating chicken eggs on farms, hence the rat snake's reason for being in the vines.

I moved the snake from the vines to under my rose bushes.

I'd no more consider killing a rat snake than I'd consider killing a LMB. Neither holds even the least bit of danger for humans. I live near the zoo in Fort Worth, a very populated area. We have had zero instances of harm caused to humans by rat snakes over the past century or so I would guess. But, they eat a lot of mice and rats!

Brad
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Texas Ratsnake climbing a tree - 05/18/15 02:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Brad R
Here is a small rat snake that was living in some old Morning Glory vines from last year I pulled off the fence Saturday. I had left it up because birds were nesting in the old dead vines. Rat snakes love bird eggs, notorious for eating chicken eggs on farms, hence the rat snake's reason for being in the vines.

I moved the snake from the vines to under my rose bushes.

I'd no more consider killing a rat snake than I'd consider killing a LMB. Neither holds even the least bit of danger for humans. I live near the zoo in Fort Worth, a very populated area. We have had zero instances of harm caused to humans by rat snakes over the past century or so I would guess. But, they eat a lot of mice and rats!

Brad

Totally Agree: I thought the snake was a rattler! Edited my original post. cheers
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Texas Ratsnake climbing a tree - 05/18/15 05:29 PM

Rat snakes will usually keep Rattle Snakes away! Truly one of the good guys. cheers
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum