Texas Fishing Forum

Bank fishing in Austin Texas

Posted By: Deadhead87

Bank fishing in Austin Texas - 07/07/17 01:37 PM

So where's the places to go bank fishing at in and around ATX?!
Posted By: MellowFellow

Re: Bank fishing in Austin Texas - 07/08/17 07:25 PM

Underneath lake travis at the low water crossing is good, red bud is close to downtown but is also a free range dog park. I forgot the name but there is a creek that runs along lamar close to west campus, has been procuctive for me in the past. I have seen bass in the deeper holes, and there is decent fishing as it empties into town lake. It's getting hot so you may have a harder time in the dead of summer.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Bank fishing in Austin Texas - 07/17/17 02:19 AM

Lady Bird Lake,Lake Austin,Decker,Colorado River,and Onion Creek just to name a few! thumb
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Bank fishing in Austin Texas - 07/17/17 12:49 PM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Lady Bird Lake,Lake Austin,Decker,Colorado River,and Onion Creek just to name a few! thumb

There are a lot more places within 30 minutes around Austin! Also welcome to the TFF!
Posted By: benp

Re: Bank fishing in Austin Texas - 08/01/17 11:49 PM

I am actually going to to Roundrock this weekend. Going to be hanging out with some kids 10 to 13. if any one has any tips on where to go to get them on some cats or whites or bass that is doable from the bank that would be great! All my spots up here in dfw are deep water this time of year so I am sure it will be tough down there, I just thought I would ask!

thx!
Posted By: Sunbae

Re: Bank fishing in Austin Texas - 08/07/17 11:23 PM

I was under the impression that LBL was trying to ban bank fishing because of the hooks that end up on the public walking trails. Could have been resolved.
Posted By: TexasTechBassAngler

Re: Bank fishing in Austin Texas - 09/11/17 05:33 PM

All of the tanks you see on the sides of the toll roads have fish in them, and I've done very well in them in the past.
Posted By: MassAction

Re: Bank fishing in Austin Texas - 09/17/17 03:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Sunbae
I was under the impression that LBL was trying to ban bank fishing because of the hooks that end up on the public walking trails. Could have been resolved.

There is an ordinance banning fishing on the new boardwalk, so basically anything east of the Shoal Creek confluence isn't allowed. How well that's enforced though is open to speculation.

If you can find permanent water in Austin, you will find fish there. I loved fishing Barton Creek and Bull Creek and found some great bass and carp there. When I was bored and had an hour to kill I would take my two weight fly rod to the pond behind Central Market on 45th and Lamar and catch Rio Grande Cichlids and Green Sunfish. If you can get up early enough to beat the dog walkers, Red Bud Isle has some great fishing when they are pulsing water through the dam. After work I would park on 9th and walk up and down Shoal Creek trail and find lots of sunfish and small bass.

The moral of the story is you don't have to go very far to find great fishing in Austin. Don't over think things, but remember that clear water + lots of water activity means spooky fish, so don't be afraid to size down both on lines and lures. All of my PB bass have come on size 6 and smaller flies.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum