Texas Fishing Forum

Amarillo Bass spots

Posted By: arise_chicken

Amarillo Bass spots - 06/16/17 09:14 PM

Not many Panhandlers here I'm sure, but if y'all are around, does anyone know if any of Amarillo's smaller ponds have bass? I have seen some say that Southeast Park may be a decent spot. Moved from central TX - got a kayak, looking to cruise around and get a line wet. Not looking for info on the larger Panhandle lakes.
Posted By: kjwolvy

Re: Amarillo Bass spots - 06/19/17 08:07 PM

Sorry no ones replied yet, not many Panhandlers here. I just moved from Amarillo after living there thirty years, and yes, fishing sux. Southeast park does have bass and, surprisingly, Crappie, but its shores are brushy and it's hard to get to the water. I have caught bass at McDonald lake on 45th and Coulter. Medipark only has sunfish and catfish. I've never tried Thompson. There is also a Southeast park in Canyon that has bass, but I've found them hard to catch. Don't know where you can use your kayak, unless you want to go to Lake Theo down in the Caprock Canyons.
Posted By: arise_chicken

Re: Amarillo Bass spots - 06/20/17 10:21 PM

Thanks for the reply. I figured a thread like this wouldn't get much traffic. I wasn't aware that Caprock Canyons had a lake/pond, so I may check that out if can find some news of recent bass activity there. I know I mentioned I wasn't really looking for info on lakes, but would you know if Mackenzie or Greenbelt might have decent spots for hitting shoreline cover in a kayak? Probably not going to try and do much fishing in the open on a lake with as choppy as it can get out there.
Posted By: kjwolvy

Re: Amarillo Bass spots - 06/21/17 01:16 AM

Mackenzy has very steep, rocky shorelines, I've only driven past, never actually walked around. Greenbelt I've honestly never seen. I have heard okay stuff about Lake Baylor, but that's nearly two hours away by Childress
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum