Texas Fishing Forum

Reimer's Ranch

Posted By: Naggler

Reimer's Ranch - 01/12/17 01:27 AM

Just wandering if anyone had been lately...bet it will be a goodern this year! I imagine it is still early, but the river looks good below 71!
Posted By: jsinn01

Re: Reimer's Ranch - 01/12/17 02:43 AM

I haven't been to Reimer's but I was at Perdernales Falls last weekend. Lots of clear flowing water! The river looks absolutely amazing right now. There should definitely be enough water for the whites to make it up to Reimer's this year.

Re: Reimer's Ranch - 01/12/17 04:16 PM

Got a new river minner net if the jigs aint workin...I figure late February should be excellent fishing if we can get a good downpour. Last year I took the yak up a good way from Reimers "boat ramp" with mixed results. Saw plenty of whites caught right there by the put in.
Posted By: EllerTroy

Re: Reimer's Ranch - 01/12/17 06:25 PM

Spot tailed minnows work from creeks work great at Reimers also. Caught a lot of whites on them through the years there.
Posted By: SALLYSUE

Re: Reimer's Ranch - 01/12/17 09:30 PM

When the red buds bloom they will be there

Re: Reimer's Ranch - 01/13/17 12:55 AM

That's it Sally! I always go by that saying...seems to be the most accurate biological indicator in my mind.
Posted By: MassAction

Re: Reimer's Ranch - 01/13/17 04:26 PM

I'm new to Austin, and went out there yesterday for the first time on a reconnaissance trip for the white bass run. Used my fly rod. Nice place, but I didn't realize how much bigger the river is there than just a few miles upstream at Perdenales Falls State Park.

Water was cold and moving pretty well. The banks are deep and drop away significantly just a few steps from the shore. Practically impossible to wade unless you find a opportune rock sticking out. The river has to be running fairly high because there are lots of submerged trees and grass all around, so I will be interested to see if the level drops as spring approaches.

I went hoping to find some carp but didn't see any although I did see a couple of splashes which were likely carp. I managed a pull out a couple of small bass from classic spots, the first larger one from a drop off and a second tiny one hiding in some structure behind the giant rock on the river bank.

Given the size and depth of the river, I think to be really effective at fishing it, you'd need some sort of watercraft to cover all the water. Personally, I like the shallower and narrower water at the state park a little bit more than the wide open spaces at Reimer's.

Re: Reimer's Ranch - 01/19/17 12:05 AM

That would be cool if the White Bass made it all the way up to the state park, but I think it's just too far for them to swim upstream. Maybe I'm wrong?

Some people swear by Reimer's, but I've never had much luck fishing there. I've had a lot better luck in the smaller creeks around Lake Somerville.

Thanks for the report!
Posted By: catchnrelease

Re: Reimer's Ranch - 01/28/17 02:13 PM

My neighbor, whom is a GREAT white bass fisherman fishing with spot tail minnows, visited Reimers in his bass buggy this past Tuesday. He said the water is perfect out there. He told me that he fished all the way to the falls from the sand bar. but he also said he didn't have any luck with the sandies. But he thinks in a few more weeks, things might be different. he caught a few Black bass and crappie but didn't find the whites. Sounds like it may be a good one this year. can't wait.
Posted By: fishytx

Re: Reimer's Ranch - 01/28/17 04:51 PM

Reimers should be great this year. This time of year I have found them holding in deeper water pockets, like twelve to fourteen feet. If you find a school, it can be very rewarding. The bite is sluggish, but set the hook and the fight is on. You really got a work at it this time of year though, it will not come easy.
Posted By: Lovfldx

Re: Reimer's Ranch - 01/28/17 05:47 PM

I will be in Austin the weekend of the 17-19 of March for the tail end of SXSW. Would it be worth taking my gear and hitting Reimer's, or will it be pretty much done by then(white bass run)?

Re: Reimer's Ranch - 01/30/17 01:02 AM

The run lasts a bit longer in the hill country so it should definitely still be going strong mid March. Probably into early April even. Should be a good year based on water levels. Maybe you can show me a pointer or two out there. I think the most I've ever caught out there is about 7 or 8.

Re: Reimer's Ranch - 01/30/17 01:41 PM

Last year, the fly fishermen were slaying them right near the beach and kayak launch area. They would wade in and stand side by side. they would catch one white after an other. One person would get his limit and pull out of the water. they next guy would move over and get his limit. My wife and I would watch them but only catch a dozen or so (combined). I saw there were a lot of minnows in the river. So, I bought my wife a minnow trap. I showed her how to use it, and she began to catch her own river minnows. During the rest of that spawn last year, she proceeded to give me fishing lessons with them. She almost caught her limit a few times with those minnows. I loved it.

We take our little two seater pond boat with trolling motor there. The bank fishing is a little harder for us there than elsewhere only because the river is wider than most creeks. The fish almost always seem to be out of our reach. I noticed that we bank fishermen are trying to cast to the other side, and the boat fishermen are casting towards the banks. LOL.

Hope to see y'all out there soon. tight lines!
Posted By: nd1225

Re: Reimer's Ranch - 01/30/17 05:50 PM

That's how it always is huh, bank fishermen casting in the middle of nowhere, guys in boats casting towards the bank.

Re: Reimer's Ranch - 02/04/17 01:24 PM

This darn weather. Hot one day, freezing the next. I'm ready for some white bass action out here! LOL.

Re: Reimer's Ranch - 02/04/17 07:39 PM

I wish Reimers wasn't a two hour drive for me, most defiantly my favorite place to catch white bass. Reimers is where my white bass spawn fishing started some 45 years a go. Even when I lived out of state, I always used my vacation time to return to this place. I have yet to miss a white bass spawn in this time frame, but I now have two other places to fish for them and they are much closer. Last trip to Reimers was probably five or six years a go.

Re: Reimer's Ranch - 02/10/17 01:17 AM

Anybody catching at Reimer's yet?

Re: Reimer's Ranch - 02/10/17 03:31 AM

Consider yourself lucky! My son is buried in a foot of snow up in NYC following today's blizzard
Posted By: greenyak

Re: Reimer's Ranch - 02/10/17 04:15 AM

here is a video I made about a year ago of reimers, real nice place.

Re: Reimer's Ranch - 02/10/17 02:23 PM

Enjoyed the video, greenyak. Reimer's is a pretty good place to spend a day even if the fish aren't biting.

Thanks for sharing.

Re: Reimer's Ranch - 02/10/17 03:34 PM

Wow, this video just made my day. The memories I have made at this place are priceless. If one only knew everything I have done at Reimers, it would blow their minds. Romance, picking up arrow heads, camping, fishing, site seeing, exploring, I mean I've had nothing but a blast at this place. Of course it was all during the time Melton owned it. But it goes back to my teen days 43 years a go. But I've gone to Hamilton pool since I was a small kid, so you could add on another ten years to that making it 53 years. I call it a piece of heaven myself. When ever I arrive at this place, I'm like a little kid in a candy store, I am all over this place soaking it's beauty up. I tried riding bikes out there once, but I had a female with me that wasn't up to the rocky trails on our mountain bikes, so we really didn't ride around much. In fact, she had a small spill on the trail right from the get go, so she wasn't up to riding around. I got a take my bike out there again and cruse the country side. I have driven and walked all over this place as it is. But this place is a place to get out and enjoy everything Mother Nature has to offer. That video really has me thinking about driving out there. Where I live today, it's a two hour drive, but worth every second to me. And catching white bass here is the best fishing in the world. I have no idea how many whites I've hauled out of Reimers ranch, but it's in the thousands. When I first started fishing for spawning whites, there was no limit on your catch. I've taken home over a hundred fish so many times it's not funny. Cleaning that many at one time was no fun at all, but boy do you ever get good and fast at it.
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Reimer's Ranch - 02/11/17 05:45 AM

smile

Re: Reimer's Ranch - 02/11/17 03:15 PM

Nice video greenyak. Its been years since i climbed down in that grotto. Absolutely gorgeous! I love this place too fishy. I grew up fishing in the colorado bend state park area in the 1970's before it was a state park. But the scenery at CBSP is very muck like Remiers. I've been fishing Remiers ever since I moved to the austin area in the mid 1980's. Its about 45 minutes from my house compared to Newmans = 1.5 hr drive or circleville = 50 min drive or CBSP = 2.5 hrs

Like jsinn01 says. it is a great place to go even if the fish aren't biting. Fishing, kayaking, Hiking, biking, rock climbing, swimming, picnicking, you name it. too bad they don't let you camp there anymore.

My neighbor - Royce's best fishing buddies went there last week. they went all the way up to the falls. using river minnows & jigs, they caught crappie and black bass. No Whites. Not good news but news none the less.

Lake travis is at 103% full. the water at remiers may be backed up from the lake and may be slowing the river's flow there? Maybe the water temp is still a little cool? Who knows... All I know is it won't be long. Spring has almost sprung.

tight lines all!

Re: Reimer's Ranch - 02/12/17 05:58 PM

Yeah, it kind of stinks they won't allow overnight camping there. Nothing like waking up in the morning and walking to the river to catch a stringer of fish.

Re: Reimer's Ranch - 02/13/17 06:23 AM

If you camped at Pedernales Falls, how far down would you have to go to reach spawning grounds? I love both parks...

Re: Reimer's Ranch - 02/13/17 01:54 PM

I've thought about putting a kayak in at Perdernales Falls and paddling down to Reimer's. Now that would be an interesting trip.

Re: Reimer's Ranch - 02/13/17 02:54 PM

At Reimers you will have the best luck up at the falls and above it as well. Only problem is, private property on both sides, you would have to use a yak or something and drag it above the falls. Not sure how they could stop you from hauling your boat on the gravel bar to get above the falls, but if they are down there they will stop you. Or they use to any way.

Re: Reimer's Ranch - 02/14/17 10:59 PM

Well, our ranch outside Fredericksburg got almost 3" of rain last night and the Pedernales should be rockin! That should call some fish upstream...got me a 1/4" mesh cast net for spot tails and will head down there next week for a recon...hopefully!

Re: Reimer's Ranch - 02/15/17 02:11 PM

Good luck naggler. let us know how you do.

Re: Reimer's Ranch - 02/19/17 03:45 PM

Checking in... This coming week looks to be another warm one. shouldn't be long now.

Re: Reimer's Ranch - 02/19/17 04:40 PM

Had to run up to my ranch outside Stonewall...river was flowing fast and muddy. Looks like we should have a great run this year. Still hoping to get out there this week.

Re: Reimer's Ranch - 02/20/17 07:30 AM

That storm was crazy!! River gonna be chocolate for a while now...redbud in full bloom on 71 between Bee Cave and Spicewood...so it should be on very soon. Next week maybe when water settles down but I don't think this week will be the best for bank or wade fishermen. Can't wait!

Re: Reimer's Ranch - 02/23/17 03:54 PM

Thanks for the info. everything is coming together.

Re: Reimer's Ranch - 02/27/17 05:41 PM

I heard A good fishing report yesterday. My neighbor fished there last Friday. He and his fishing partner both caught their limit. And he said they were big ones. My neighbor fished upstream in his bass buggy with river minnows.

I didn't talk to him very long because I was headed to San Antonio when he stopped me. But He showed me his pics of the two stringers. Nice haul.

That's all I need to make a trip next weekend. Weather permitting of course. I'll definitely post a report if I go.

Tight lines.

Re: Reimer's Ranch - 03/03/17 01:02 PM

We'll looks like Rain this weekend. Darn! I know the fish don't mind but the older I get the more I mind. LOL.

My neighbor went again last Wednesday (3-1-17) He and his fishing buddy took their bass buggy upstream with river minnows and found a few holes. My neighbor said he caught his limit between 10am - 2pm. He said he caught 23 males & 2 females. All BIG males. His fishing buddy caught 22. He told me he doesn't think the fish are thick in there just yet. He had to find them in several spots. He said he didn't just go to his honey hole and catch all of them there like he normally does.

Either way, he found fish. I drove past his house this morning at 6am, and his bass buggy was loaded in the back of his truck again. Looks like He's going out again today. It must be nice to be retired. I'll be there in another few years. Until then, I'm stuck at work today.

I need to stop telling his fishing stories and make a few of my own... I guess I'm spoiled. I need nice warm weather to go. Instead we're gonna get rainy weather Sat/Sun. I'll let you know how we do if I get brave enough to go fishing in the rain this weekend. I feel a sick day coming on next week.

I'd enjoy some of ya'lls stories if you have some.

Tight lines.

Re: Reimer's Ranch - 03/05/17 11:04 PM

Last few years I had a good kayak, but no more. I will miss the days spent paddling upriver to that long shallow run before the falls...spent some time up there sitting on the sandbar to the left and umbrella casting a BPS silver/ghostie colored inline spinner. It was like a topwater bite in that shallow water! Will be headed either to Reimer's or The Slab on Thursday for sure this week!! Wish I could get to Somerville but I need to stay closer to home this trip. When you guys fish The Slab, do you usually head up or down river from the road crossing? If I go to Reimer's I will most likely net minners and light line while wading relatively close to the launch area.

Re: Reimer's Ranch - 03/16/17 08:26 PM

My neighbor is still catching upstream by the falls. He went last week and again today. I'm gonna try and get out there this weekend. got my bass buggy ready for action. I'm gonna get momma to catching some river minnows and some whites too.

Hope to see some of ya'll there.

tight lines.

Re: Reimer's Ranch - 03/17/17 02:20 AM

Plan on being there Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning, banking it along the Pedernales engulfed by the beauty of Reimers and the Hill Country, hopefully stringing up Whites! SXSW by night, the Beauty of the Hill Country stream by day.

Can't wait

Rudy
Posted By: Oakhill

Re: Reimer's Ranch - 03/18/17 04:05 AM

Can the area by the falls be accessed by foot. I'm closer to 70 than 60 so I need the short cut.

Today was first trip to the beach area since the sixties.

Re: Reimer's Ranch - 03/19/17 09:15 AM

Tough hike including some wading I would think. That is not to say there aren't some whites to be caught elswhere like the area right at the launch...but again wading would be necessary to be effective. Still...there are some spots from the bank to cast from and catch a few. It's so pretty out there it is woth the time IMO! fish

Re: Reimer's Ranch - 03/23/17 06:20 PM

Funny fishing report.

The wife and I went yesterday. We fished with a friend. We in our bass buggy, and he in his new bass buggy. We arrived at noon and began to catch river minnows. Just after we caught our minnows, we launched off the sand bar. My trolling motor Malfunctioned. My buddy had tools and we made a temporary repair. During this repair, we somehow killed 3/4 of our 8 doz. Minnows. Our minnow buckets were full of muddy chocolate colored water. I guess our buckets were next to us when we muddied the water while standing in the mud. The minnows must have suffocated from all the muddy water? I don't know. Anyway... we went farther upstream and began fishing with dead minnows. Nothing but small Guadalupe bass, and gaspergoo.

We didn't fish long before my buddies brand new trolling motor died. At that time we decided to tow my buddy back to the kayak launch. A bad luck day of fishing to say the least, but the beauty of the place made up for all that.

My neighbor was also out there fishing. He and his group had about 10 to 15 whites each. I guess the bite is still slow out there. I'm not sure I can find and order trolling motor repair parts quickly enough to get back out this weekend. Stuff happens.

Oh well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Tight Lines All!

Re: Reimer's Ranch - 03/23/17 08:50 PM

Maybe the whites decided to go up the Colorado arm this year? hmmm
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum