Texas Fishing Forum

What kind of bass is this?

Posted By: GigTheFish

What kind of bass is this? - 11/06/16 03:18 AM

Got to go fishing at a private ranch outside of College Station this week. Had a blast catching lots of bass in a few hours. But looking back at the pictures, this one confused me a little. I assumed it was a largemouth, but the normal horizontal stripe isn't there or at best it's barely visible. Is it some other kind of bass? Maybe spotted? Or a hybrid of some sort? The owner of the ranch said he brought in some "Florida Bass" mixed with "Gorilla Bass". I looked up some info on Florida bass but it sounds like it's probably the same subspecies that is normally found in Texas and should have the stripe. I couldn't find anything on what a "gorilla bass" is. Any thoughts?

Posted By: McKinneyLonghorn

Re: What kind of bass is this? - 11/06/16 03:22 AM

That's a largemouth. A Florida-strain bass is just another subspecies of largemouth, but not the type native to Texas. No idea what gorilla bass is, but largemouth can vary quite a bit in coloration. If they come from muddier water they can be really pale, and sometimes you will catch two bass from the same body of water that look completely different.
Posted By: Fisherman13

Re: What kind of bass is this? - 11/06/16 03:29 AM

Largemouth for sure. Never heard of gorilla bass lol but who knows maybe its a thing.
Posted By: GigTheFish

Re: What kind of bass is this? - 11/06/16 04:06 AM

Okay, so my first instinct was right. Just a regular largemouth.

I did find this information on "Gorilla Bass". Basically a genetically engineered bass that grows big and stays agressive!! This page sounds exactly like the description I got form the owner. Now I'm almost bummed that the largest I got was ~3 lbs. He did say that in the spring he regularly catches 5-6 lb bass in that lake. I didn't know if I believed that but after reading this, it would make sense.

http://www.strikeking.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=22:the-tiger-bass-and-the-gorilla-bass&catid=16&Itemid=1021
Posted By: TXfisherman12

Re: What kind of bass is this? - 11/06/16 02:41 PM

Largemouth bass. In the muddy waters down here I often catch largemouths with poor coloration such as in your picture.
Posted By: Lovfldx

Re: What kind of bass is this? - 11/07/16 03:26 PM

Garden variety largemouth. I catch em from clear water looking like that, stained water looking like that, muddy water looking like that. Sometimes the cover or vegetation affects color, depth of water taken from does too. You just never know.

Rudy
Posted By: hook-line&sinker

Re: What kind of bass is this? - 11/07/16 07:51 PM

After reading the report about Gorilla and Tiger bass that brought to mind the smallmouth largemouth cross tried before and nicknamed "Meanmouth bass" for there very aggressive behavior. Swimmers reported being bitten by these bass stocked in little lakes and ponds. The Mean-mouth bass story
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum