Texas Fishing Forum

Hello all

Posted By: UrbanFisherman79

Hello all - 05/10/16 08:57 PM

So I am new to this forum. And new to fishing too. I fished as a kid in some neighborhood ponds, but that was using hot dogs and a bobber, not much compared to bass fishing. Have been bass fishing a few times with friends but all we really did was drink.
So, about 2 weeks ago I decided to try out some bass fishing. Have spent at least 2 hours each day, up to 6 hours on a couple of those days, and I'm not catching much at all. A total of 4 bass over about 40 hrs of fishing. I have read alot of posts on this forum and done plenty of online research, but I'm not sure how much good it's doing.
So, is there anyone out there that would care if I tagged along on a local fishing trip? Or anyone who would teach me some basics, I'm willing to pay for your time if it helps. I'm really enjoying this even though I'm not catching much, but I feel like I could really use some advice from an experienced bank fisherman. I live near White Rock but would be willing to travel wherever. Not working either so any day/time works too.

Thanks for reading, hope to hear back from some of you guys.

James
Posted By: JohnButte

Re: Hello all - 05/10/16 09:12 PM

Couple things for you to try. Wacky rig and ned rig. Also, try fishing early mornings.
Posted By: Johnbowman1974

Re: Hello all - 05/10/16 09:31 PM

Hey ya Urban... see if this can help ya any.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB8dBovkTwY

Keep your line tight.
Posted By: Perchy Perch

Re: Hello all - 05/10/16 09:45 PM

Hah. My alias on a different forum when I lived in Chicago was UrbanFisher79.

Maximize your chances by fishing the right times and places. Following up on what JohnButte said, you can try the evenings as well.

When fishing neighborhood ponds in my area, I usually swim a pearl white Zoom tiny fluke on a small jighead and tear them up. No lunkers but will get you into the swing of things.

Re: Hello all - 05/10/16 10:23 PM

Hey guys. I have been doing exactly what you have suggested (I had even watched that entire bass fishing for beginners series on YouTube already, and the video on the Ned rig). Basically fishing with a Senko or a fluke, usually drop-shotting, is the only way I have caught anything.
Any suggestions as to where I should try fishing? I have been fishing white Rock lake and different parts of white Rock Creek, and twice at bachman lake, couldn't catch anything there. Maybe I need a change of scenery.
Posted By: KungFuJimmy

Re: Hello all - 05/10/16 11:11 PM

the lake of lavon dam gate was open and fire. you can get there try to fishing or just hang out .looking the bank fishing man how to caught fish. fish

Re: Hello all - 05/11/16 01:06 AM

Hey Kung Fu Jimmy. Could you be more specific on where I should try fishing at Lavon?
Also, does anybody know anything about fishing white Rock lake/Creek? Any specific parts of the lake or Creek that you like?
Thanks again for all the help/advice guys, hope to bump into some of y'all out there.
Posted By: LeoL

Re: Hello all - 05/11/16 01:16 AM

UrbanFisherman70 don't feel too bad. I just started fishing recently and haven't watched much. I'm the same boat you are lol I just go at random times, but still not giving up. I live in fort worth so not familiar with too much about Dallas stuff. I have read there are some good ones in WRL though.

Re: Hello all - 05/11/16 02:54 AM

Thanks Leol. I'm enjoying myself still but there is a little bit of frustration creeping in. I looked at fishing guides but can't swing $300 just to learn, and fishing from the bank is probably quite different than from a boat. Too bad there aren't any bank fishing guides!
I'm not giving up though, just keep plugging away.
Posted By: Tony from Oak Point

Re: Hello all - 05/11/16 03:21 AM

Downsize with lures and line until you start catching sunfish and then upsize to lures that will attract bass that you can consistently catch in your body of water. To me a 5" senko is a bit too much for a lot of clear pressured water. I'd use a 4" or 5" weightless finesse worm TX rigged on a hook 2/0 or smaller instead. Since you are in urban areas try fishing around where ever people are feeding ducks with bread, there are usually a few bass that hang out around the edges of the feeding frenzy. MulGogiHunters suggestion to use the small fluke sounds very good too. You should try top water too in the nights and mornings, i.e. a small zara spook or rebel pop-r are really fun ways to catch bass from the bank. Just don't set the hook until you feel them pull back.

Re: Hello all - 05/11/16 03:28 AM

Thanks for the advice Tony. I just went to academy and bought some really small lures, gonna do exactly what you suggested.
Thank you all for chipping in with advice for a newbie, much appreciated. Hopefully I will be posting a few pics of some catches later this week!
Posted By: msg_f91

Re: Hello all - 05/11/16 04:04 AM

Have you checked out the Texas Bank Fishing Map that is located at the top of the bank fishing section? It has some suggestions on White Rock lake. Also you could pick out some ponds from it to try if you feel like changing locations. If your downsizing in lure size, my favorite small lures are RoadRunners, beetlespins, and baby traps. RoadRunners are small but they'll still catch some big fish.
Posted By: acbrown1977

Re: Hello all - 05/11/16 03:28 PM

bank fishing in DFW can be dificult to catch stuff... most of the nice places are heavily fished. Ive been learning texas waters for a little bit and it is a whole new world compared to Florida... best types of places for bank fishing LMBs have been out of the way areas that require a good deal of walking... which sucks lol
Posted By: Hooky_Looky

Re: Hello all - 05/11/16 04:54 PM

Pm me if u need advice
Posted By: Dunkky dude

Re: Hello all - 05/11/16 05:24 PM

if you are financially jammed, then you don't need a guide. if you have money then, that would be one option. Like KFJ said, go to popular spot and see what other people are doing, what lures they are using, what setup they have. rest is just location and timing. during this process you will meet some nice people and you will adapt knowledge they have. Already, i see people willing to offer you some guidance. PM them and see if you can tag along next time when they fish. seeing it once is worth more than thousand words. also, you need to be patient, this is not rocket-science, but it's not something you will master in couple of outings. good luck to your journey!
Posted By: JohnButte

Re: Hello all - 05/11/16 08:17 PM

One more thing: float and fly. You will catch all sorts of interesting stuff.
Posted By: KungFuJimmy

Re: Hello all - 05/12/16 01:37 PM

Originally Posted By: UrbanFisherman79
Hey Kung Fu Jimmy. Could you be more specific on where I should try fishing at Lavon?
Also, does anybody know anything about fishing white Rock lake/Creek? Any specific parts of the lake or Creek that you like?
Thanks again for all the help/advice guys, hope to bump into some of y'all out there.
pm me if you free tomorrow. smile
Posted By: RussPrater "Bass Commander"

Re: Hello all - 05/12/16 01:57 PM

BassGrabbers Tournament Trails is a bank fishing tournament trail here in north Texas. Ever since I put this together, I've learned 90% of what I know by fishing with our group. Just a suggestion

Re: Hello all - 05/12/16 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: JohnButte
One more thing: float and fly. You will catch all sorts of interesting stuff.

What does this mean?

Re: Hello all - 05/12/16 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: RussPrater "Bass Commander"
BassGrabbers Tournament Trails is a bank fishing tournament trail here in north Texas. Ever since I put this together, I've learned 90% of what I know by fishing with our group. Just a suggestion

I'm signing up today, thanks for the suggestion!
Posted By: RussPrater "Bass Commander"

Re: Hello all - 05/13/16 04:13 AM

Step 1: go to www.Bassgrabberstrail.com
Step 2: learn about us
Step 3: read rules and regulations
Step 4: click on tournament registration
(Fill out)
Step 5: show up and fish
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum