Texas Fishing Forum

wheelchair friendly ponds& parks

Posted By: monkester

wheelchair friendly ponds& parks - 04/25/16 08:56 PM

I am a disabled vet who uses a wheelchair to get around. I am looking for some places to bass fish around the Garland area that are wheelchair friendly. any help would be great. thanks.
Posted By: forsanmedic

Re: wheelchair friendly ponds& parks - 04/26/16 02:47 AM

It's a bit of a drive, but Highview Marina on Lake Bardwell in Ennis would work. Lots of places on their barge you can get your chair and fish.

Re: wheelchair friendly ponds& parks - 04/26/16 03:48 AM

thanks for the info
Posted By: standalone

Re: wheelchair friendly ponds& parks - 04/26/16 02:36 PM

Purtis Creek has a nice fishing pier and good fishing too.
Posted By: Bryanjenkins00

Re: wheelchair friendly ponds& parks - 04/26/16 04:07 PM

Marine creek reservoir by TCC has several docks that should be accessible to you.
Posted By: Daniel Mtanous

Re: wheelchair friendly ponds& parks - 04/30/16 08:00 AM

Cedar Hill State Park has a cement jetty. Everything is closed off but 1 though.
Posted By: CBoone

Re: wheelchair friendly ponds& parks - 05/02/16 02:37 PM

Mesquite City lake park should be pretty accessible for you and there are some very nice fish in there - they can be tough to catch. Palos Verdes Park on NW Hwy in Mesquite also should be accessible and is much like city lake - the bass are there.

Re: wheelchair friendly ponds& parks - 05/03/16 03:29 AM

Thanks everyone. Where is Mesquite city lake located?
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: wheelchair friendly ponds& parks - 05/03/16 03:34 AM

Originally Posted By: monkester
Thanks everyone. Where is Mesquite city lake located?

I don't know any where around the dfw area, check on TPWD there's a page that shows parks that they stock... Thank you for your service!
Posted By: TxPacker4

Re: wheelchair friendly ponds& parks - 05/03/16 05:44 AM

Ablon Park in Garland is very accessible and is loaded with 12-14" bass. There's some big ones in there too. Also got crappie, catfish, carp, bluegill, and gar. TPWD stocks trout in the winter. It gets a lot of pressure, so light line is the key. Try rooster tails and small crank baits. When they're not as active, slow crawling Texas rigged craws and weightless and whacky rigged 4" senkos can pick up a few fish.
Posted By: FS0897

Re: wheelchair friendly ponds& parks - 05/03/16 05:38 PM

Phelps Lake in Rockwall is a nice little park. They just put in a fishing pier and even have a kayak launch. It is just off of John King Blvd going north. I have caught bluegill and crappier personally. I have seen bass and am told it has cat's as well.

It doesn't have a playground if you have little ones. Harry Myers in Rockwall has a pond that has a little pier as well. It even has a splash pad. That pond has been getting very mossy however.

Re: wheelchair friendly ponds& parks - 05/03/16 10:37 PM

Thank you for the info. I have been to Harry Myers before. Thanks again.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum