Texas Fishing Forum

keeping fish alive?

Posted By: Metal Man

keeping fish alive? - 04/17/16 04:30 PM

how do you guys keep the fish alive. I usually like to stay at the lake for the weekend . How would you keep fish alive that were caught on fri till sunday? I have been using a long stringer , I believe its the the one for use on docks, to get the fish on the stringer but a little deeper in the water from the bank. It get to be a big tangled mess and the fish start to die off after about 8 hours. Would it be better just to throw them in ice for 2-3 days until they get filleted ?
Posted By: Ram4bass

Re: keeping fish alive? - 04/17/16 05:25 PM

I have never waited to fillet. It's too easy to clean, bag and put them on ice. Keeping them alive for more than a day is a challenge even in a live well. Stress, temperature and oxygen are killers.

Putting them on ice immediately will keep them fresh. I would imagine 1-2 days would be fine. I don't know about 3 or more.

Best practice if you don't want to clean them is to gut them and pack bellies w ice. This is what we do with fish caught offshore. Might be too much trouble for smaller fish though.
Posted By: Grainraiser

Re: keeping fish alive? - 04/17/16 05:41 PM

We had this same problem years ago when we use to slay the crappie at Tawakoni. My dad made a fish basket with chicken wire and pressure lumber. It was roughly 3x4 ft and it worked very well.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: keeping fish alive? - 04/17/16 10:56 PM

Just keep them on ice
Posted By: HeavyLead

Re: keeping fish alive? - 04/18/16 12:07 AM

I think there's some truth to the idea that keeping them stressed out on a stringer affects the flavor. I put them on ice as soon as possible, and clean them up to 24 hours later.
Posted By: River Mongrel

Re: keeping fish alive? - 04/18/16 01:55 PM

Ive had striper on ice four days. Then cleaned them. As long as eyes are clear your good.
Posted By: buton

Re: keeping fish alive? - 04/18/16 02:37 PM

just clean your catch every day. And put them on good shaved ice they will last the weekend.
Posted By: BankAngler50

Re: keeping fish alive? - 04/18/16 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Ram4bass
I have never waited to fillet. It's too easy to clean, bag and put them on ice. Keeping them alive for more than a day is a challenge even in a live well. Stress, temperature and oxygen are killers.

Putting them on ice immediately will keep them fresh. I would imagine 1-2 days would be fine. I don't know about 3 or more.

Best practice if you don't want to clean them is to gut them and pack bellies w ice. This is what we do with fish caught offshore. Might be too much trouble for smaller fish though.
Best advices hrre thumb I really like the idea of gut fish and ice them, especially if you bring fish home whole, save a lot of troubles.
Posted By: spazm09

Re: keeping fish alive? - 04/18/16 09:30 PM

Catfish are pretty easy to keep alive on a stringer. Anything else I would clean daily. Personally I don't keep fish on ice longer than 24 hours.
Posted By: Indianation65

Re: keeping fish alive? - 04/18/16 10:13 PM

Stuff them with ice cream and sweeten the meat. Doh!

...------
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum