Texas Fishing Forum

Catch and release

Posted By: daniel75633

Catch and release - 03/13/16 04:04 PM

Ok there is a huge farm pond not far from where I live, the land was purchased a long time ago and is now a park, I know it's full of fish, I was wondering if there would be any harm in keeping some fish, I know of they aren't thinned out that it doesn't allow for fish to grow, just trying to get others thoughts
Posted By: mrmarco229

Re: Catch and release - 03/13/16 04:34 PM

I've never kept fish from a small pond or pond of any type. In my opinion it's not fair to others that will no longer get the chance to get the fish since you keep them and plus if it's not all that large of a pond, it can screw up the population depending on how many/how often you keep fish. If it's a private pond or whatever then do as you please. If it's a public pond, be considerate of others and don't keep them.
Posted By: daniel75633

Re: Catch and release - 03/13/16 04:46 PM

Agreed, this is a huge farm pond that the owners sold to the city, but yes your right
Posted By: smileycntfish

Re: Catch and release - 03/13/16 06:34 PM

I wouldn't keep a limit of any species of fish . But I don't see nothing wrong with keeping a few every once in a while. Plus you said it was a decent size pond. Unless the pond is a strictly catch and release .
Posted By: crappieking95

Re: Catch and release - 03/13/16 08:07 PM

Originally Posted By: smileycntfish
I wouldn't keep a limit of any species of fish . But I don't see nothing wrong with keeping a few every once in a while. Plus you said it was a decent size pond. Unless the pond is a strictly catch and release .
+1
Posted By: Bass Junkie

Re: Catch and release - 03/14/16 10:34 PM

First make sure of any special regulations the pond has and just don't go by the community pond regulations that are in the hunting/fishing regulation book. Then if there are not run the numbers. If you keep so many fish and everyone else keeps the same amount, that number gets very high quickly which could be the end of a good fishing spot, especially in an urban area with a lot of pressure.
Posted By: SteveStrasemeier

Re: Catch and release - 03/15/16 12:49 AM

Catch and release explained
https://www.facebook.com/1466979313614424/videos/1514847448827610/
Posted By: MrNovice

Re: Catch and release - 03/15/16 12:56 AM

Originally Posted By: SteveStrasemeier

Freaking hilarious!
Posted By: ReeceKennedy

Re: Catch and release - 03/15/16 02:53 AM

Originally Posted By: SteveStrasemeier

Nailed it lol
Posted By: Treadlightly2

Re: Catch and release - 03/15/16 03:34 AM

No comprende releez, catch yes, releeze no, no way no
Posted By: erittmueller

Re: Catch and release - 03/15/16 08:51 PM

I studied Ecology in college so this isn't just hearsay, there's some credibility here.

For determining fish capacity in ponds there are simple numbers. 1 acre water = about 600lbs of total fish weight. For a pond take into consideration how many different kinds are there? If it is just bass and bluegill then you can rest assured that it supports 400lbs of bluegill and 200lbs of bass. Are there catfish in the pond? If so that changes proportions. Crappie? Carp that you can't see (if you see one then there are lots more)?

Find out how big the pond is, does it have water inflow, what kinds of fish are in it, etc..... Have a general idea how much other people remove from the population through out the year and this will give you a good guess for if it's smart to remove any or throw them all back. Or just keep certain species...

Just use discernment. I keep fish from ponds but it's based on knowing how much that will impact the ecosystem.

Eric
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum