Texas Fishing Forum

Lavon dam

Posted By: jeremyp123

Lavon dam - 03/13/16 04:50 AM

I know it was producing fish a while back but is that still the case? I am Trying to decide if I am gonna go battle the crowds in the morning or not.
Posted By: kdub#1

Re: Lavon dam - 03/14/16 01:18 AM

It is not releasing at all right now, so I would say probably not.
Posted By: HeavyLead

Re: Lavon dam - 03/14/16 03:52 PM

wait a few days. They'll be opening up a few gates since Lavon is over 3ft high now.

Re: Lavon dam - 03/14/16 09:24 PM

Wait no more. They are releasing 4200cfs!
Posted By: Perry

Re: Lavon dam - 03/14/16 09:28 PM

Best to still wait a couple days after the gates are open in my opinion. Especially if you don't live close. I'm pretty sure that my favorite fish will be making their way up!!
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: Lavon dam - 03/14/16 09:41 PM

What perry said.. Be patient

Re: Lavon dam - 03/16/16 11:06 PM

Anyone been... I've had the itch but haven't really had the time this week?

Re: Lavon dam - 03/17/16 06:32 PM

I went down this morning .. People catching a couple sandbass, buffalo,and drum.. It was actually a lot slower than I thought it would be.. Didn't see any hybrids caught or crappie but I'm sure they are in there somewhere.. I was only able to stay for hour or so.. Long enough to find out that I have a leak in my waders!!

Re: Lavon dam - 03/17/16 06:50 PM

I'm sure they are there. Front may have slowed them a bit. It's going to be pretty chilly for the next several days. Lows around 40 coming up.
Posted By: LakeForkGroupie

Re: Lavon dam - 03/25/16 03:08 PM

Sounds like Lavon Dam River will be the ticket this weekend. Rowlett will be a mess from the bridge Construction, and Lavon Dam is releasing at 792cfs right now. I bet it's on and popping over there. Any reports of the hybrids showing up over there?

Re: Lavon dam - 03/25/16 03:25 PM

Originally Posted By: LakeForkGroupie
Sounds like Lavon Dam River will be the ticket this weekend. Rowlett will be a mess from the bridge Construction, and Lavon Dam is releasing at 792cfs right now. I bet it's on and popping over there. Any reports of the hybrids showing up over there?

792cfs is bareley moving, so nothing can make it up to the dam from the lake. I don't know if there are there anymore, but before they really showed up in RC, most of the hybrid pics you've seen from the area have come from below the 78 spillway...don't believe everything you see here...

Lots of competition to cast in the prime spots there though.
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: Lavon dam - 03/25/16 04:02 PM

Yep.. No fish at the dam.. They are all at rowlett creek! Use 4 pd line! Anyways have a good Friday!
Posted By: MrNovice

Re: Lavon dam - 03/25/16 04:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Ledeez
Yep.. No fish at the dam.. They are all at rowlett creek! Use 4 pd line! Anyways have a good Friday!

LIES! We all know there are no fish at RC, just dirty diapers and toilet paper....
Posted By: LakeForkGroupie

Re: Lavon dam - 03/25/16 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By: HeavyLead
Originally Posted By: LakeForkGroupie

792cfs is bareley moving, so nothing can make it up to the dam from the lake. I don't know if there are there anymore, but before they really showed up in RC, most of the hybrid pics you've seen from the area have come from below the 78 spillway...don't believe everything you see here...

Lots of competition to cast in the prime spots there though.

I typically fish just below 78. 792 cfs, is about 7 times more flow than RC. I would think they would be all up and down the river there. I don't like fishing the turbid water. I assume it's like RC with lots of holes down the way. More flow and cleaner water. Sounds like better fishing.

Re: Lavon dam - 03/25/16 04:51 PM

Yeah, it's way more flow that RC, just saying they can't make it up past the spillway at 78 to get to the main dam.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Lavon dam - 03/25/16 05:22 PM

FYI you cannot go downstream of 78 without trespassing
Posted By: Deep Donkey

Re: Lavon dam - 03/27/16 04:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Not true
Posted By: jeremyp123

Re: Lavon dam - 04/28/16 04:56 PM

anything happening since they turned the water back on?

Re: Lavon dam - 04/28/16 05:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Deep Donkey

Not true
i was told this by a Wylie police officer who was on the radio with the game warden. He said you are tresspassing If you are downstream of 78, and you are tresspassing if standing on the railroad tressel
Posted By: kdub#1

Re: Lavon dam - 04/28/16 05:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Deep Donkey

Not true

I bet I could in a kayak.. Would a a Loonnnngggg paddle with the bottoms flooded though.

Re: Lavon dam - 04/28/16 05:31 PM

I was referring to bank angling
Posted By: Texasian

Re: Lavon dam - 04/28/16 07:01 PM

They had the water on earlier this week for a day and a half...now it's back down to a trickle. Went out this morning for 3 hours and caught a nice 3.5 lb. blue cat on cut shad and a nice thick crappie on a sabiki tipped with minnows (also caught a dozen or so undersized sand bass and a few bluegills on the sabiki). Saw a bunch of gar and carp/buffalo in the water.

Shad was hard to come by without the current...but did see a huge school of shad being chased around the fishing pier right before I left.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum