Texas Fishing Forum

Catch and release stocked trout???

Posted By: Michigan Steelheader

Catch and release stocked trout??? - 02/23/16 10:16 AM

Is it ok to catch and release on those trouts that TWPD stocked? I heard that you get ticket if you do. Ppl were saying that you suppose to catch your five and leave.

Anyone has answer for this?
Posted By: kjwolvy

Re: Catch and release stocked trout??? - 02/23/16 11:48 AM

I don't have a solid answer but I don't see how anyone can make you keep and kill a fish. I've never had it come up as I rarely am able to catch them anyway. hammer
Posted By: Fisherman13

Re: Catch and release stocked trout??? - 02/23/16 12:31 PM

Lol no you do not have to keep the trout. That's ridiculous. Getting a ticket for not keeping fish?! Only way I could even remotely see this is if you gut hooked the fish and it was dying and floating when you put it back they might get you for waste of game. But not sure if they would enforce this. A lot of trout were dead and floating at the ponds I have been to. If I have a trout take a deep hook I will usualy offer it to someone for their limit. My kids use bait so occasionally we have one swallow the hook. If no one wants the fish we will take it home with us. If you have any questions you could always contact TPWD and ask them for clarification. They will have the answer you need.
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Catch and release stocked trout??? - 02/23/16 01:01 PM

As Fisherman 13 said, no you don't have to catch and keep. There is not a law on the books in reference to trout that says you do. Some places will state that you do until you push the issue and know the law and it quickly becomes a suggestion. Some individuals will say that you do also, most of the time it will be individuals that are not catching fish or bait fisherman. You can choose to handle that the way you want to, but they are wrong. Some State park employee's will also say you have to keep what you catch, that to is wrong. Ask to talk to a Game Warden or call one yourself. As Fisherman 13 also said, to help keep the peace if your not keeping fish give them away.
This question comes up every year!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Catch and release stocked trout??? - 02/23/16 04:26 PM

Catch&Release all you want!

Side Note: It is good to keep them. Most if not all are going to die by the early part of April if not caught and taken. A few places in Texas could hold trout year around but not many. thumb
Posted By: TXfisherman12

Re: Catch and release stocked trout??? - 02/23/16 05:43 PM

I was fishing a stocked trout pond this year and caught and released 2 trout on back to back casts. A guy near me shouted over that it is put and take regulations and that I shouldn't put them back. He also gave me a lecture on how the fish can't survive all year - which yes I am aware of that but kept my mouth shut. I told him I have the right to throw them back and maybe someone else will have the opportunity to catch them. He didn't like the response but the more we talked he seemed to calm down and I was trying to offer suggestions on how I was reading the pond and fishing it. Then I caught another trout while he was standing next to me so I gave it to him and he seemed a lot happier.

Talked to another fisherman later that day and I was venting my frustrations to him. He gave me a good reply - next time tell the person the trout are really good bass food and helping to grow the bass population. Bit of a smart aleck response, but I like it!
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: Catch and release stocked trout??? - 02/23/16 11:27 PM

There's no way I'm keeping a 6-8 inch trout! Catch and release for me and my kiddos at the trout derbys 100% of the time.. To me its training time for the kiddos!? Most of the time it really is the folks that are not catching that complain.
Posted By: travman

Re: Catch and release stocked trout??? - 02/24/16 02:52 AM

Yeah you dont have to keep them....
I got into it with a guy at Greenbriar after i put back
Posted By: banderapass1

Re: Catch and release stocked trout??? - 02/24/16 03:11 AM

You may keep 5 Trout only.You may catch and put back(release) all you want..If a fish dies that can be one of your five limit.The small trout are just as good eating as the big ones.Like a little Brooke Trout.No one will get in trouble for putting them back alive.Only for wasting.
Posted By: travman

Re: Catch and release stocked trout??? - 02/24/16 03:18 AM

Shame we dont get brooke trout here in my area... just rainbows, i did catch a 14 in golden rainbow tho!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum