Texas Fishing Forum

Walnut creek

Posted By: Mooreg9

Walnut creek - 02/19/16 04:44 PM

Has any one fished walnut creek feeding into joe pool and have any reports
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Walnut creek - 02/19/16 04:57 PM

I don`t know for sure if Loyd park has reopened yet but you can access Walnut Creek from Hwy 360 and do some good bank fishing from underneath the bridges.If they are there,a good Jig&Bobber setup should get you bit.
Posted By: Perchy Perch

Re: Walnut creek - 02/19/16 08:52 PM

I went last weekend via Loyd. Did not do so well - few unders. At that time, it was still pretty muddy. I didn't stray to far from the parking lot so can't say what it was like further up the creek.

But that was last week...
Posted By: iluvfishin

Re: Walnut creek - 02/19/16 09:52 PM

They are there. Just gotta find em
Posted By: Phillip84

Re: Walnut creek - 02/21/16 02:09 PM

They have no trespass signs up on both sides of the bridge now . NTTA is expanding the highway north bound and south bound it is scheduled to be done in late 2017. This sucks I have been going there for years in my kayak and now there is no where to park.

Re: Walnut creek - 02/21/16 05:19 PM

well I guess that means you can no longer drive down to the bottom and park underneath. realmad
Posted By: Flipside Outdoors

Re: Walnut creek - 02/22/16 10:06 PM

I agree, this is super disappointing
Posted By: MrNovice

Re: Walnut creek - 03/17/16 01:43 AM

Any luck here lately?
Posted By: TVB

Re: Walnut creek - 03/17/16 06:17 AM

We had some real good luck up in there a few weeks back. If you're starting out at 360 walk the north side towards the lake about a quarter to half mile. There are some really good spots in there but they were deep at the time. In about 15 to 17 feet of water. This was a few weeks back and the water temps have gone up a little since then so the situation may be different now. We were crappie fishing but got into a few sandbass as well.

Re: Walnut creek - 03/17/16 01:28 PM

Originally Posted By: TVB
We had some real good luck up in there a few weeks back. If you're starting out at 360 walk the north side towards the lake about a quarter to half mile. There are some really good spots in there but they were deep at the time. In about 15 to 17 feet of water. This was a few weeks back and the water temps have gone up a little since then so the situation may be different now. We were crappie fishing but got into a few sandbass as well.

Very nice! Thanks for the help!
Posted By: Flipside Outdoors

Re: Walnut creek - 03/17/16 03:46 PM

I went last night and only got 1 nice sandy 2 LMB and a pretty good size blue catfish. Went up and down the creek and never really got into them. I don't know if I'm too early or the run is over? I thought after that rain last week the creek would be full of them this week.

Re: Walnut creek - 03/17/16 07:26 PM

Originally Posted By: obsessive
I went last night and only got 1 nice sandy 2 LMB and a pretty good size blue catfish. Went up and down the creek and never really got into them. I don't know if I'm too early or the run is over? I thought after that rain last week the creek would be full of them this week.

The run is not over, just barely starting. Should go till early May. Once you start catching all females, it'll be in full force.

Re: Walnut creek - 03/17/16 09:22 PM

I believe all the recent High water conditions must have had an effect on them but given time and the creek turns green things will improve. I`ve had my best luck in Walnut Creek in the winter time fishing the DEEP bends when the shad go into the creek and the Crappie follow along.Spring is different.When conditions are right ,they will bite and I`m not talking 9" fish. When people say JP only has only 9" fish, I laugh because I know better & Walnut has a bunch of em. Mountain Creek & Soap Creeks off fm661 as well. Patience Grasshoppers azn
Posted By: 68camino

Re: Walnut creek - 03/23/16 03:46 PM

Anyone having any luck on spawning sandies in walnut creek?
Posted By: Esnow74

Re: Walnut creek - 03/26/16 02:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishbonz
I believe all the recent High water conditions must have had an effect on them but given time and the creek turns green things will improve. I`ve had my best luck in Walnut Creek in the winter time fishing the DEEP bends when the shad go into the creek and the Crappie follow along.Spring is different.When conditions are right ,they will bite and I`m not talking 9" fish. When people say JP only has only 9" fish, I laugh because I know better & Walnut has a bunch of em. Mountain Creek & Soap Creeks off fm661 as well. Patience Grasshoppers azn

I've fished the 661 creek in the winter, have you ever done any good once spring rolled around?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum