Texas Fishing Forum

SFA Student Fisherman

Posted By: Mooreg9

SFA Student Fisherman - 01/23/16 01:26 AM

I am a student at Stephen F Austin University (SFA) and was wondering if anyone around the area knew of any bank fishing spots within 30 minutes of campus. just looking for a place to catch fish the don't have to be the biggest in the world just a place to brush up on fishing skills.
Posted By: Ranger-188-2007

Re: SFA Student Fisherman - 01/24/16 10:55 PM

Fish around lake Nac boat ramps West side you have more options!
Posted By: Mooreg9

Re: SFA Student Fisherman - 01/25/16 12:27 AM

ranger i have tried that never any luck probably not using the right baits any hints or tips
Posted By: spazm09

Re: SFA Student Fisherman - 01/29/16 02:42 PM

I'm a lumberjack as well!!! Been out of school for about 10 years now. When I was there I didn't fish a whole lot but when I did, I usually fished the docks at lake Nac. Crappie should be good from the docks in a few months.
Posted By: spazm09

Re: SFA Student Fisherman - 01/29/16 02:45 PM

Also there was a lake that had a paper mill on it. Don't know the name. It's private but you can buy a 1 year pass for like 50 bucks or so. It was fantastic for bass fishing. But you need a boat. And there are alot of gators. We were literally zig zagging around gators while fishing. I probably saw at least 30 gators in just a few hours.
Posted By: PondFish

Re: SFA Student Fisherman - 02/01/16 09:33 PM

When I was there in the early '80s we caught a few out of Lanana creek right there on campus. Of course in the Spring when the white bass start the run get into the creeks just above where they feed into Rayburn and you can tear them up.
Pinkston used to be good, just don't park on the dam.
Posted By: popcork

Re: SFA Student Fisherman - 02/05/16 05:12 PM

When I was a Lumberjack in the late 80's and early 90's we used to catch a lot of white bass on the Shawnee River bottom. It's been a long time not sure I remember how to get there. You can also enjoy ultra-light action fishing Lanana creek or the other one Banita just find pools and the bream and small bass will readily take a bait. I never had much luck at Pinkston and you need a kayak or belly boat to fish Lake Nacogdoches. You might try the spillway behind Lake Nac. loaded up on hand sized blue-gill there once.
Posted By: travman

Re: SFA Student Fisherman - 02/08/16 06:18 PM

When i was there (2008-2011) I went and fished Sam Rayburn... Had pretty good luck
Posted By: bush hog

Re: SFA Student Fisherman - 02/10/16 01:46 PM

You might try Lake Noconiche, just off HW59 between Nac and Garrison. They have a nice fishing pier. Lots of bass and crappie.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum