Texas Fishing Forum

Quick poll about paying to fish.....

Posted By: CollinCountyCab

Quick poll about paying to fish..... - 12/11/15 09:24 PM

Would you pay $40 to fish on a dock for crappie. Guarantee fish or fish again at no charge. Comfortable seats...TV with fishing channel on along with a "shore lunch." Fish cleaning station available, bait provided along with rods and all tackle. Live bait or jigs. Up to 6 hours of fishing time. No parking charge.

Define "shore lunch" Fresh crappie over rice and a bottle of water.
Posted By: musiclife_7

Re: Quick poll about paying to fish..... - 12/11/15 09:31 PM

I wouldn't...$40 is steep....most places are $5-15.

Re: Quick poll about paying to fish..... - 12/11/15 09:34 PM

Originally Posted By: musiclife_7
I wouldn't...$40 is steep....most places are $5-15.

Where are these docks located? Other than the Lewisville Barge, I was unaware of other locations..

thanks for the reply!
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Quick poll about paying to fish..... - 12/11/15 09:43 PM

Originally Posted By: CollinCountyCab
Would you pay $40 to fish on a dock for crappie. Guarantee fish or fish again at no charge. Comfortable seats...TV with fishing channel on along with a "shore lunch." Fish cleaning station available, bait provided along with rods and all tackle. Live bait or jigs. Up to 6 hours of fishing time. No parking charge.

roflmao roflmao
Posted By: musiclife_7

Re: Quick poll about paying to fish..... - 12/11/15 09:48 PM

Lewisville, Joe Pool, Bardwell...I've been to a few others but it's been a while...they all had trees hanging and plenty of fish...

Re: Quick poll about paying to fish..... - 12/11/15 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishbonz

roflmao roflmao

Not understanding your response unless you meant it as being "funny?" The question is harmless but serious?
Thanks for your reply!
Posted By: dbraune

Re: Quick poll about paying to fish..... - 12/12/15 02:16 AM

I would. Been to too many of these barges with nothing to show. So id give it a shot.
Posted By: Perchy Perch

Re: Quick poll about paying to fish..... - 12/12/15 02:30 AM

Frankly, it sounds pretty similar to the barges that are around the metroplex.

You'd have to find more ways (other than what you mentioned above) to differentiate yourself from your competition to justify the $40 charge. Would this be public/private? Guided? etc etc.

Your current set up might be only good for the fair-weather angler or someone who hasn't fished before.

Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Quick poll about paying to fish..... - 12/12/15 03:14 AM

The package of the lunch, TV and comfortable chair wouldn't interest me much. I pay $5 to fish at a couple different Marinas. I might pay as much as $20 for a good place to fish, but I wouldn't go as often. There are too many other places to fish for free or a minimal charge. Then again, Crappie fishing is probably about fourth on my list of species I enjoy catching.
Posted By: Mike Ryan

Re: Quick poll about paying to fish..... - 12/12/15 03:42 AM

I may be completely wrong in my answer, but if you can provide a safe and comfortable place to fish that offers your customers with a very good chance of catching fish, you may be on to a good idea.

There are a few questions that may help tip the scales in your favor.
When you say "fish on a dock and a television is available is this a fully enclosed dock like a mini barge that is protected from the elements or one that just has a roof?

How big is this dock, would it be a private party of only the payee and their guest all of whom would pay the 40 dollar fee, or is this a set number of people including strangers?

Speaking only for myself, if I am fishing in a barge or in your case a dock and a tv was available I would want to have the Cowboy game on or something other than fishing. I watch fishing shows mostly when I cant go fishing. But that is what remotes and multiple channels are for, right.

Of course if there are multiple fisherman there, you know a difference of opinion may soon arise on what to watch. I am not sure I have ever wanted a tv while I was fishing but for a father of little ones who might get bored with fishing, that may be a great asset for the kids and allow the parents time to fish, everyone's happy.

Bottom line, there are many, many folks that have way more money than I to spend to have a day of fishing that may be one of just a few trips they make each year. Most everything of value has a price, in many cases a premium price. Going to a pro game, amusement park, all can cost much more than what your offering.

For the person who is just learning and not having much luck at the public barges, the fisherman who may have mobility challenges, this may be a great option to have a good fishing day. Special group offerings may be a consideration. This would ensure a fishing party does not have to possibly clash with others if in fact multiple parties can fish at the same time.

People pay 10's of thousands of dollars for boats, snd in some cases those boats do not get used as much as the owner would like due to other life obligations.
This fee for a good day of fishing is a drop in the bucket in comparison.I sure hope I have not in any way discouraged you, I commend you for your entrepreneurial sprit.

Keep us posted, and good luck.
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: Quick poll about paying to fish..... - 12/13/15 11:30 PM

Most of my fishing trips wind up costing me a he66 of a lot more than 40 bucks.

Re: Quick poll about paying to fish..... - 12/14/15 06:30 AM

Thank you all for the replies. Will keep everyone posted.

Re: Quick poll about paying to fish..... - 12/14/15 06:30 AM

Originally Posted By: uncle_bagster
Most of my fishing trips wind up costing me a he66 of a lot more than 40 bucks.

Now thats the TRUTH!
Posted By: RussPrater "Bass Commander"

Re: Quick poll about paying to fish..... - 12/14/15 03:34 PM

As a creative person, I think you are on to something special. If you have the capital to make this happen, it would be an awesome thing to have around here and before you know it, it'll catch wind and others will want to to build on various lakes. Great thinking
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Quick poll about paying to fish..... - 12/14/15 11:58 PM

Lol what a rip off. Man I'm in the wrong business.
Posted By: ricrod

Re: Quick poll about paying to fish..... - 12/15/15 06:07 AM

Ok, I was all the way going to say No Way until I saw the post that said most of his fishing trips cost more than $40. That is a good point, might be something to try out once just to see, it does sound like a nice set up.
Posted By: BCJC82

Re: Quick poll about paying to fish..... - 12/16/15 05:37 PM

I am a little late to this party. But what docks are y'all fishing on that supplies tackle, bait, and a lunch for 5-15 dollars. When I have fished crappie houses they charge the 5-15 then I have to bring my own rods and my own tackle and buy my own minnows and buy my own lunch. The prices at the marina the crappie house is usually affiliated with are always inflated if you even have a a choice of a hot meal (and not one you pop in a microwave). Not all of them have cleaning stations and I have gone many a time and caught absolutely nothing after spending 30 dollars on everything to just get out there and try and catch a fish. Just to get a better luck next time from the marina staff when I leave. I think it is a good idea and a pretty good price as long as there are discounts for children under a certain age. I would check the legality of including a crappie on rice lunch in the price especially if it is crappie that you yourself are catching in the lake unless you yourself have a commercial fishing licence. Group rates are definitely something to look in to as well.

How much would it cost for a party to rent the entire barge out for the 6 hours so they are not disturbed by other fisherman?

What will your pole limit be?

Would you allow people to drink while they are out there?

Will you be purchasing a certain spot to fish in the marina or will it be every man for them selves?

Will it be climate controlled with a/c in the summer and heaters in the winter?

What does the guarantee include? Like if I catch one dink crappie in the 6 hours I am there was I successful enough to have to pay again the next time I come?

When you are paying 5 or 10 bucks to fish at a crappie house you really aren't expecting much except a hole in the floor to get your jig wet. When you are paying 40+ you will expect a little more. I could do with or with out the T.V. I wouldn't particularly want to watch fishing shows while I am fishing but I would love to watch the NFL Sunday ticket with all the games on at once while I fish.

Bottom line you are going to be targeting the people that do not get to go fishing very often and want it to be comfortable and easy with a guarantee. (who doesn't love a guarantee) You probably won't get a lot of people on here to pay the 40+ dollars because they for the most part have all their own gear and tackle and somewhat know what they are doing. These will also be the people that want an all inclusive guided fishing trip with out paying the all inclusive guided fishing trip cost of a few hundred dollars. I don't think 40 dollars a person would be enough to cover over head and tackle and everything and you would probably need to charge a bit more to actual make a decent enough profit to make it worth your while.

Then again you weren't asking for my opinion on how you should go about doing it just asking if I would go and the answer is yes I would pay 40 dollars for these services. Especially if the action was good.
Posted By: have_rod_reel_travel

Re: Quick poll about paying to fish..... - 12/16/15 07:12 PM

40 dollars is a kind of high because most of your regulars will have their own gear... If you could pull off a barge with year-a-round fishing a yearly fee could be an awesome idea...
Posted By: blooper961

Re: Quick poll about paying to fish..... - 12/16/15 10:42 PM

The Cedar Hill State Park at Joe Pool is cheap.Too bad its closed because its underwater.
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: Quick poll about paying to fish..... - 12/16/15 11:07 PM

I'd spring for it a couple of times...

Re: Quick poll about paying to fish..... - 12/17/15 07:04 AM

Thanks to all for the suggestions....trying to put this together on paper right now. Everyone wants their hand in the cookie jar. Hmmmmm cooking crappie could be a problem. Think we'll stick to burgers and hot dogs. smile Guide license, YES...commercial fish license, NO.

Never thought that this would support my family 100% BUT it would be nice for additional income while I'm on the water and who knows what could happen.
Posted By: Bigkracka

Re: Quick poll about paying to fish..... - 12/17/15 11:45 PM

Hell yes I would pay for that kind of setup. I would bring my own gear though.
Posted By: BCasper

Re: Quick poll about paying to fish..... - 12/19/15 10:15 PM

Here is a link for you to check out for some more ideas. The over night packages are really cool and are probably a good money maker.
http://www.almafishingfloat.com/

I went to this place a few times and they were always busy and if it was busy in rural Wisconsin it should be popular down here. One thing to keep in mind is you will probably need restrooms.

Best of luck with your ideas.
Posted By: barneypoo69

Re: Quick poll about paying to fish..... - 01/29/16 09:51 PM

Sounds good to me. Took the family to a catfish farm on Canyon Lake & it cost me over $150. But those big smiles & big eyes on my son & wife was wonderful. I think I only got to catch one and the rest of the time I was either baiting (using Secret 7 stink bait) or pulling a hook out of a catfish. That place is always busy.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Quick poll about paying to fish..... - 01/29/16 09:56 PM

who the hell watches tv when they fish?
Posted By: cbag1

Re: Quick poll about paying to fish..... - 01/30/16 02:13 AM

I wouldn't pay 40.00. That is too steep. Is that per person?
Posted By: Mark's Fence Repair

Re: Quick poll about paying to fish..... - 02/08/16 03:58 PM

Yea $40 is too much. I would stick with $5 an hour or something your $40 is a down payment on a boat !
Posted By: Nathan at Fork

Re: Quick poll about paying to fish..... - 02/08/16 06:06 PM

Not sure why someone would want to watch tv while fishing. Also, are you going to have different price structures? Cheaper if you bring your own equipment? I wouldnt want to use rented rods. Also, cheaper without the food? As for the catch fish or fish for free, is that for one fish? For $40 Id want a guarantee of more than one. And, is that one keeper or any size? Kid fish free with paid adult? Just some things to think about.
Posted By: Larry yank

Re: Quick poll about paying to fish..... - 02/08/16 07:00 PM

I would happily pay $40 for leasing a stocked bass tank near Rockwall, Texas. I would only catch and release unless the location demands removing smaller crappie or sunfish. I grew up in small town Kansas, worked on farms as a kid, and have a strong belief in leaving the environment better than I found it. Contact me at (972) 877-0858 if anyone knows of such a lease near Rockwall.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum