Texas Fishing Forum

Hickory creek, Denton

Posted By: cyclefish

Hickory creek, Denton - 12/06/15 04:09 AM

While on my one of my rides today, I crossed hickory creek which I have traced to lake lewisville. Has anyone fished this creek? Specifically the section between old Alton road and the lake its self.
Thanks,
The new guy
Posted By: Tony from Oak Point

Re: Hickory creek, Denton - 12/06/15 04:23 AM

Nope, too afraid of the goatman.

In all seriousness although I've not bank fished it much it's worth checking out! Just park at the Old Alton bridge (if you can find a spot) and walk around to see what every is or isn't catching.

Re: Hickory creek, Denton - 12/06/15 04:45 AM

Nah just approach the bridge with your lights on and you supposed to be ok;)
With the water temps dipping and the lake up I wonder if the crappie will be that far up. I see some trails on google earth off 2499 nearer the lake may try that as the lake comes down.
Thanks tony, anyone else?
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Hickory creek, Denton - 12/06/15 01:08 PM

With the lake about 8-10 ft high and the amount of rain that we have had, I wouldnt expect much to be going on down there. I'm betting there is a large part of the parking area under water.
Posted By: JCG57

Re: Hickory creek, Denton - 12/06/15 04:02 PM

I stopped there three days ago. Parking area was fine, but water was very muddy.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Hickory creek, Denton - 12/07/15 05:24 AM

The goat man is no joke.

I'll fish other spots...esp after dark

Re: Hickory creek, Denton - 12/07/15 05:46 AM

I see you trying to scare me off. The spot. Lol. But yeah after dark would be spooky.
Posted By: Lovfldx

Re: Hickory creek, Denton - 12/08/15 05:14 PM

After dark there the crappie turn on! Just sayin'
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Hickory creek, Denton - 12/08/15 06:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Lovfldx
After dark there the crappie turn on! Just sayin'

Yeah but also after dark is when a ghost appears who has the body of a man of the head of a goat...

"Locally, the bridge is known as "Goatman's Bridge", due to a legendary demonic satyr of the same name, who is popularly believed to inhabit the forest surrounding the area.

Legend tells of a black goat farmer who moved his family to a residence just north of the bridge. A few years later, Oscar Washburn was known as a dependable and honest businessman. North Texans endearingly began to call him the Goatman. But the success of a black man was still unwelcome to many, and Klansmen in the local government turned to violence after he displayed a sign on Alton Bridge: "this way to the Goatman's".

In August 1938 Klansmen crossed the bridge and kidnapped Washburn from his family. They hung a noose on Old Alton Bridge and, after securing it around his neck, threw him over the side. When they looked down to see if he had died, the noose was empty. In a panic, they returned to his family home and slaughtered his wife and children.[2]

Locals warn that if you crossed the bridge at night without headlights, you will be met on the other side by the Goatman. Ghostly figures and strange lights are also reported in the surrounding woods. As well as visitors being touched, grabbed and having rocks thrown at them. This legend results in the area around Old Alton Bridge being popular with paranormal societies."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Alton_Bridge
Posted By: Fisherman13

Re: Hickory creek, Denton - 12/08/15 06:35 PM

Crazy..... not scaring me though. Every town I've ever been to has a legendary goat man story. Kinda like the VW sized catfish below every lake's dam. Funny that wiki has that (legend) on there. We had a legendary goatman in the town I grew up in. Got to protect those good fishing spots. roflmao
Posted By: Newcastle

Re: Hickory creek, Denton - 12/08/15 06:55 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIrnzzTmP0s

Yea I dare you to watch this then go fishing there.
Posted By: Fisherman13

Re: Hickory creek, Denton - 12/08/15 09:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Newcastle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIrnzzTmP0s

Yea I dare you to watch this then go fishing there.

roflmao popcorn always interesting on the TFF!
Posted By: FishinASAP

Re: Hickory creek, Denton - 12/10/15 04:46 AM

Yeah that's a legitimate story. Seen a few different documentaries about. One of the ghost hunters groups on TV went out there a few years ago – they said they would never go back. Who knows...
Posted By: Todd™

Re: Hickory creek, Denton - 12/10/15 04:05 PM

I'm more worried about the idiot breaking into my car late night. Gone out there early morning to fish and 2 times parked next to a car that had been there all night and window was broken.

Water is over the banks in several places right now but they are dropping the lake level. Fishing can be good when the crappie come in and when the whites run. It has some small resident bass too. The trails will get you to a lot of decent spots but it's a hike.

Re: Hickory creek, Denton - 12/10/15 09:18 PM

I'll just ride my bike there and not worry about the car. Maybe on my next day off. I'm really interested to see if it's any good. The spots closer to the lake look good too. Just a little more water release should do it. My grapevine spots are still under water.
Posted By: JGreen5278

Re: Hickory creek, Denton - 12/12/15 02:19 PM

Anyone tried their luck here recently? Lol
Posted By: Coffeebreak

Re: Hickory creek, Denton - 12/12/15 03:22 PM

It's flooded there atleast ten foot of water need to be drained. Then I thinks bank fishing possible. I tried from the bridge for an hour I didn't get any bite.

Re: Hickory creek, Denton - 12/12/15 03:25 PM

Yeah its going to be hard to fish there for a while. Hopefully things are good by the spring. Been a bust of a winter so far.

Re: Hickory creek, Denton - 12/12/15 03:56 PM

Thanks for the update guys. I'm hoping the rain doesn't add too much more water. I'll try it this week i hope
Posted By: Coffeebreak

Re: Hickory creek, Denton - 12/12/15 05:42 PM

As per the forecast 1-2 inches of rain expected. So expect minor flooding again in that area. If no rain another 30 days then water level decrease to favorable bank fishing. These pictures took yesterday

Re: Hickory creek, Denton - 12/12/15 08:41 PM

frown

Re: Hickory creek, Denton - 12/13/15 12:40 AM

Tried it out from the yak today. The big bad skunk reared it's ugly head but at least the goatman left me alone. Beautiful day and I got exercise so I cannot complain. Talked to another guy on a yak who was kind enough to share some details. He caught 3 small bass. It was hard to find concentrations of fishing on the graph and when I did find them they were pretty much all small.

Re: Hickory creek, Denton - 12/13/15 05:15 PM

I should mention that with the lake over 8' up, Hickory Creek is a lot more like a deep canal or river versus a creek. The excitement of finding 8' ledges and massive trees fallen over in the water faded for me as I realized the entire creek is so full of great cover like this that the fish are spread out. If I were to bank fish I'd probably use a slip bobber set 8-12' deep. Over course with the rain today it's going to put the crappie fishing on hold for that much longer too.

Re: Hickory creek, Denton - 12/13/15 06:38 PM

It's safe to say that hickory is going to be a bust for the a while. It has got to stop raining for this creek to produce (well crappie anyway).

Re: Hickory creek, Denton - 12/14/15 04:56 AM

If the dam breaks we can get to them!
Just kidding of course. They really have to do something. That is terrifying to think about.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum