Texas Fishing Forum

Need help finding a spot.

Posted By: mrdvant

Need help finding a spot. - 07/27/15 02:46 PM

Hey everyone, I've been browsing the forum for a few weeks now and everyone seems very helpful. I'm hoping someone can help me find a good spot. Just a little background, I just recently began fishing again after having not fished since I was a kid. I'm really enjoying it, primarily for something to do to get outside and get a little alone time but I'm not having much luck catching much. I don't know if it's just from the high and muddy water everywhere or if I'm doing everything wrong, but I've been watching a lot of videos and reading articles and feel like I've got the basics down and should be catching -something-. So far the only luck I've had is at the small pond at the actual park part of Benbrook park and that was only a tiny catfish. I mean tiny. Like a few ounces. So, in about a month of fishing a few times a week that's all I've caught.

I'm looking for a nice place somewhere near the Weatherford/West Fort Worth area. I'd prefer a place that isn't generally packed and I'd prefer an actual lake or river rather than a pond in a park. I feel a bit strange fishing in the park ponds. I've been mostly going to Lake Weatherford. I've tried the north end that's usually not there without the rain and haven't gotten even nibbles. I see baitfish there and I thought with all the grass and logs it might have attracted some fish, but no luck. I also tried a spot on Weatherford on the east side where I generally see people set up for catfish but haven't had any luck there either. I'd prefer not to pay 5 dollars every time I go fish, since I've been going anywhere from 3-6 times a week so I haven't tried the crappie house behind the marina.

So..any suggestions would be great. I'd like something relatively close to where I am, which is between Ft Worth and Weatherford and also someplace I don't have to climb a cliff or hike a mile from my car.
Posted By: Smithaven

Re: Need help finding a spot. - 07/27/15 05:20 PM

There are several places in the Weatherford area.

The place to fish on Lake Weatherford is the retaining wall east of the dam. There is a small parking area there. The spot has catfish,carp, white bass, sunfish and the occasional bass.

The other lake is Sunshine Lake in Cartwright Park just north of town. The lake has yielded trophy crappie and large bass and carp.

Holland Lake Park in east Weatherford has huge catfish. The little lake is stocked with channel catfish in the summer and big trout in the winter.

Another lake is Lake Mineral Wells State Park. It has lighted piers which are in deep water for crappie.There is a charge, but if you get a yearly pass it is reasonable. The flat near the swimming area and boat ramp yields huge catfish during the summer.

At this time of year no lake is going to do much from the bank during the daylight hours.The times from an hour before sunrise to an hour after and from sundown on are the most productive. That said, I would be reluctant to fish any of the Weatherford sites after dark for safety reasons. Lake Mineral Wells should be fine.

Re: Need help finding a spot. - 07/27/15 07:52 PM

Maybe it is just the times I go then. I've been out a few times in the evening but mostly only have time during the day. I think I've fished the part of weatherford lake you're talking about. Is it the place with the sharp hill leading down to the parking lot that has a few metal benches facing the water?

I'm not set up for catfish, but I plan on getting some heavier line and making some bait when I get my pay tomorrow and giving it a try cause the bass seem to hate me. I've tried texas rigs with various worms/craws, mostly dark with blue or red flecks, crankbaits, poppers, etc.

I'll check out Cartwright park, I've never been up there. I did catch a -tiny- little bluegill at Holland Lake Park the other day. I wasn't sure if I was fishing the stocked part or not though, the map showed two ponds there and I was at the one right by the parking lot and didn't go searching for the other since my wife was with me and we were mostly killing time.

Anyhow, I appreciate the advice. Think I'll head out tonight and give it another try.
Posted By: Smithaven

Re: Need help finding a spot. - 07/27/15 10:13 PM

You have the right spot at Weatherford.

Sure fire catfish bait:
1 cup crushed Wheaties
1 cup flour
1 cup CHUM (available at Walmart in 2 pound bags)
Mix dry ingredients well, then add slowly only enough red soda pop to make a stiff dough. Roll into a ball about an inch in diameter and fish on a #6 treble hook.

If they do not bite this bait they are not biting.
Posted By: Lovfldx

Re: Need help finding a spot. - 07/28/15 12:45 AM

What about the Brazos river, between Lake Granbury and PK? Surely there is some bank access somewhere along there! Fed by two big lakes, the river should have some good fish laden spots.

Re: Need help finding a spot. - 07/28/15 05:26 AM

Thanks Smithaven.

Lovfldx, that's a bit farther than I'm looking for. I don't mind making a longer planned drive, but am mostly looking for a good spot to go several times a week.
Posted By: charlief1

Re: Need help finding a spot. - 08/22/15 08:23 PM

On 183 near I-20 is the trinity river walk and there's more than a few good spots to fish. If you're looking for deeper water you can go up Hulen, North, to Belaire drive, take a left on Belaire and park by the bridge. You have to walk on the bike trail for a few hundred yards but the dam there and the water behind it should be deep enough for you to get some nice fish. I used to live up there and would fly fish in both areas fairly regularly. Only time I got skunked was when Benbrook and the river were badly flooded in the late 80's

Re: Need help finding a spot. - 08/28/15 10:07 PM

Thanks charlief1. I've been trying to find a decent spot on the Trinity that isn't in a terrible neighborhood. I'll check that out.
Posted By: charlief1

Re: Need help finding a spot. - 08/29/15 01:03 AM

Take pics of the area so others will know where it is. If you have a canoe or kayak you can go upstream to another dam but you'll have to portage the boat to get above it. If you have 2 people and 2 cars you can start just below Benbrook dam and go all the way to 183. There are some shallow spots but I've never had to walk with the boat. Some nice spots and you will be in someone's backyard, but it's a nice area. smile
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum