Texas Fishing Forum

Breckenridge Park Richardson

Posted By: Indianation65

Breckenridge Park Richardson - 06/09/15 04:53 AM

I did the searching, but did not see much information on the 3 big ponds in Breckenridge Park off Renner Road in Richardson. I was driving by a couple weeks ago and stopped. I fished for about 45 minutes with no luck. It was right after the heavy rains had stopped, and I threw what I had with me, some light-colored swimbaits, and one small sunfish perch-type bait. As I said, it's what I had in my vehicle.

A few days later I took off on my bike and pedaled that direction. Once I got there a few people were catfishing, but with no real luck, so, the question is, has any forum brother had any luck in the area, at any of the 3 ponds? Have they ever really been stocked? I'd like to go back, but if knowledge tells me there really isn't much there, I'll go elsewhere...thanks! IN65

...------
Posted By: Fisherman13

Re: Breckenridge Park Richardson - 06/09/15 06:02 AM

I have my best luck at the pond in the park by the soccer fields. The 2 ponds by Renner road have been terrible for me but a few friends I have fished with have caught some good bass at the pond on the east side of the creek. In 2014 the pond on the west side of the creek almost completely dried up. I assume that won't mean anything as the floods from all the rain connected both ponds with the creek a few times so fish will have been washed in and out of both ponds. The water has always been muddy there though that makes it tough. But I know there are fish in all of the ponds. I know for sure there are carp in all of them. I have caught a few decent bass at the pond in the park along with a few small crappie. Hope that helps.
Posted By: musiclife_7

Re: Breckenridge Park Richardson - 06/09/15 05:29 PM

If you are going to fish I would limit yourself to the actual park pond and the pond directly south of Renner Road on the east side of the bridge. I've caught a ton of bass and crappie in both ponds. They have been really flooded with all the rain but they will clear up. The park pond has lily pads and a couple nice drop offs that are fishable from the bank.

The pond off Renner Rd. has the best fish IMO. I've caught Bass up to 7lbs in there and several 12-15" crappie as well. Crappie like roadrunners. Bass have always hit squarebills and small creature baits Texas rigged or carolina rigged.

Here's a few pics of fish from there.

Re: Breckenridge Park Richardson - 06/09/15 05:37 PM

Great info! Thanks fishing brothers! IN65

...wisdom
Posted By: Jonathan_Zambrano

Re: Breckenridge Park Richardson - 06/12/15 04:06 PM

So do y'all just park on at the parking lot next to the pond and walk over to the pond on the East side?

JZ
Posted By: KungFuJimmy

Re: Breckenridge Park Richardson - 06/12/15 05:55 PM

i would try fishing there this evening fish
Posted By: Kayak-Hooligan

Re: Breckenridge Park Richardson - 06/12/15 06:31 PM

I live down the street from those ponds, they actually hold fish. What are you guys targeting?

Re: Breckenridge Park Richardson - 06/12/15 07:05 PM

not catfish for me .bass only.

Re: Breckenridge Park Richardson - 06/12/15 09:31 PM

Man, I hope I get to hold up a few beasts for photos next time I go there...probably this weekend.

...-------

Re: Breckenridge Park Richardson - 06/14/15 03:33 PM

6-12-15. evening i been there .from 7-8:30 pm.just got 1 small bass.people post that pic.maybe was long time ago.

Re: Breckenridge Park Richardson - 06/14/15 04:00 PM

Most likely, which part of the park were you fishing?

Re: Breckenridge Park Richardson - 06/15/15 02:40 AM

on that day i was fishing south of renner road on the east side under bridge by breckenridge park. rowlett creek was behind me.

Re: Breckenridge Park Richardson - 06/18/15 09:30 PM

^^^^that water is too shallow and warms up fast. Try moving down that bank and fishing parallel to the bank while moving east. That bank is pretty flat and gets to about 10ft deep at about 70ft out....if you move to the southern edge of that pond, there are more changes in the structure of the pond. It's got a few lay downs and deeper grass. for the first 200yds you have solid fishing bank to work...the rest is kinda flat and random.

I've caught fish there every time I've gone except 1 time. Again, patience and observance will get you a long ways there.
Posted By: ckcrew

Re: Breckenridge Park Richardson - 06/19/15 01:17 AM

where do you park to get to that pond (east pond off of renner)? ive caught decent size bass on spinnerbaits at the pond inside the park several years ago but have never fished that pond you are talking about.

Re: Breckenridge Park Richardson - 06/19/15 02:24 AM

Park at the west pond and make the long walk over the bridge to the east pond. Definitely go in the early hours cause that walk isn't fun in the heat. Only did that once in the summer and again in the fall. I never caught anything so I haven't been back just decided it wasn't worth the walk and I don't live in the area, just stopped a few times after work.

Re: Breckenridge Park Richardson - 06/19/15 02:25 AM

I prefer the pond inside the park. Since I have caught fish there.

Re: Breckenridge Park Richardson - 06/19/15 06:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Fisherman13
Park at the west pond and make the long walk over the bridge to the east pond. Definitely go in the early hours cause that walk isn't fun in the heat. Only did that once in the summer and again in the fall. I never caught anything so I haven't been back just decided it wasn't worth the walk and I don't live in the area, just stopped a few times after work.

Thanks, I was hoping there was a short cut through the park or parking access on the east. I'll prob give it a try when it cools down a bit in the fall. Might be worth a try since it doesn't look like it gets that much pressure.

Re: Breckenridge Park Richardson - 06/19/15 01:28 PM

Technically you can walk through the trees to get there from the park but it's not a friendly walk if you have gear with you.

Like Fisherman13 stated, park at the parking lot on the west side of the bridge and walk across.
Posted By: Hooky_Looky

Re: Breckenridge Park Richardson - 06/20/15 07:58 PM

I think those ponds are only catch and release. I've caught crappie and large catfish about 5 years ago on the pond next to the gazebo. You can use shad or chicken liver. I went during the evening. It's very deep there.

Re: Breckenridge Park Richardson - 06/21/15 03:43 AM

Went out today caught some bass. Saw a lot of turtles for some reason. One with a hook sticking out its mouth.

Re: Breckenridge Park Richardson - 06/25/15 10:52 PM

I'll give it a go tonight, 'bout 7:30-8 to start...

...------

Re: Breckenridge Park Richardson - 06/28/15 07:10 PM

No luck Thursday pm before and after dusk, but I caught 3 bass today, Sunday morning starting around 8:30...they stopped biting around 10:00.

...------
Posted By: Plutarcho

Re: Breckenridge Park Richardson - 06/30/15 03:40 AM

Regarding Catch & Release: Breckenridge, Renner East, and Renner West are Community Fishing Lakes (CFLs) according to TPWD and therefore follow CFL Regulations (which are very similar to the usual regs). These rules trump any municipal regulations (such as the catch-and-release policy listed on City of Richardson's parks website or signs at parks).

I was confused and directly emailed TPWD about this and they were crystal clear about TPWD authority (there are some confusing exceptions surrounding bow fishing that I ignored since I don't bow fish).

Whether you catch fish large enough to keep or want to keep them is a different question.

Re: Breckenridge Park Richardson - 07/02/15 04:34 PM

i'll been there fishing thie month early.i did'nt see any sign around there for catch and release .because i belive [i take what i paid] . duel

Re: Breckenridge Park Richardson - 07/02/15 08:18 PM

^^^^what?

Re: Breckenridge Park Richardson - 07/04/15 03:28 PM

Umm, yes, I confused as to where this topic took a left turn...

...wisdom???

Re: Breckenridge Park Richardson - 07/08/15 08:10 PM

I'm going to run to the park pond after work for about an hour or 2....give it a shot....keep ya posted

Re: Breckenridge Park Richardson - 07/08/15 11:20 PM

Good luck!

...------

Re: Breckenridge Park Richardson - 07/09/15 01:06 PM

was able to fish from 5-7pm....caught one small bass on a weightless senko and missed 2 fish on a frog. All the lily pads are gone from the north-east pocket so it's just fishing empty banks basically. I didn't have time to fish the renner pond or I would have.

Water temp was warm, if I had to guess, 80-85 degrees.

Re: Breckenridge Park Richardson - 07/09/15 04:14 PM

Originally Posted By: musiclife_7
was able to fish from 5-7pm....caught one small bass on a weightless senko and missed 2 fish on a frog. All the lily pads are gone from the north-east pocket so it's just fishing empty banks basically. I didn't have time to fish the renner pond or I would have.

Water temp was warm, if I had to guess, 80-85 degrees.

It's the water still dookie brown?

Re: Breckenridge Park Richardson - 07/09/15 04:32 PM

the pond in the park look much clearer than the two off of Renner. I feel bad for the people I saw fishing at the West Pond off renner...there's NO fish in there. It's been dry 3-4 times in the last couple years....I was too tired to stop and tell them.

I saw a lot of fish activity in the park pond....so that's where I would fish...the southern edge of the pond is deeper and I'm sure that's where the majority of the fish are....

Re: Breckenridge Park Richardson - 07/09/15 06:54 PM

the pond in the park look much clearer than the two off of Renner. I feel bad for the people I saw fishing at the West Pond off renner...there's NO fish in there. It's been dry 3-4 times in the last couple years....I was too tired to stop and tell them.

I saw a lot of fish activity in the park pond....so that's where I would fish...the southern edge of the pond is deeper and I'm sure that's where the majority of the fish are....

cool, thanks for the update. too bad the lily pads are gone. only place i caught fish there was by the lily pads.

breckenridge isnt my first choice to fish in richardson cause its bit of a walk from the lot to the pond.(you can literally fish in seconds after getting out of your car at crowley park, caught a nice 2.5 lber at lunchtime today) and there's no shade around the pond. which means you are baking in the sun during the day. ill give it a try early in the morning one of these days.

Re: Breckenridge Park Richardson - 07/09/15 09:02 PM

Originally Posted By: ckcrew

cool, thanks for the update. too bad the lily pads are gone. only place i caught fish there was by the lily pads.

breckenridge isnt my first choice to fish in richardson cause its bit of a walk from the lot to the pond.(you can literally fish in seconds after getting out of your car at crowley park, caught a nice 2.5 lber at lunchtime today) and there's no shade around the pond. which means you are baking in the sun during the day. ill give it a try early in the morning one of these days.

True...but crowley park is so small that it's not worth it IMO. I would rather have a challenge. I've caught fish every time I've been to Crowley...it's almost too easy.
Posted By: Jonathan_Zambrano

Re: Breckenridge Park Richardson - 07/15/15 06:27 PM

Originally Posted By: ckcrew

True...but crowley park is so small that it's not worth it IMO. I would rather have a challenge. I've caught fish every time I've been to Crowley...it's almost too easy.

SERIOUSLY?
I caught the biggest pond bass I have ever caught out of Crowley, but it has literally SHUT DOWN on me the past month and a half. No matter what I throw and where....

Re: Breckenridge Park Richardson - 07/15/15 06:41 PM

Crowley Park, such a chore and so close to my home, but I got skunked there this past Saturday, but a month earlier, I got a couple bass that fell off the hook before landing. I was on the deck fishing to the right over the brush just below the bridge. I'll give that place a rest and try some of Mr. Musiclife_7's other recommended holes.

Addendum: I have not tried the Breckenridge Park pond yet.

...------

Re: Breckenridge Park Richardson - 07/15/15 06:48 PM

Yes...I'm dead serious. I've caught fish there too. However, it's SOOOOO small that you can cast across....a decent stick would throw 30-40 times and be done with that place....honestly...it's just not worth it. Not to mention that there is always someone there...it's just too small to make it worth it.

Reason it's shut off is mainly due to water temperature and oxygen levels....when you have a pond that small those two factors will hurt it badly.

Re: Breckenridge Park Richardson - 07/15/15 07:34 PM

the dye at crowley has slowed the bite down a bit, but its still good for 1 or 2 bass everytime i go. all the dam* kids throwing rocks and sticks into the water makes it a little aggravating though.

i tried the pond in breckinridge park for about 20 minutes last night. didnt catch anything. no surface activity at all which was a bit surprising. there was a bike race there. not sure why the cyclists have to park on both sides of the already narrow entrance but it was a tight squeeze to get in and out of the park for me and the soccer parents. there was plenty of parking in the parking lot, people!
Posted By: Cmj2012

Re: Breckenridge Park Richardson - 10/26/21 05:00 PM

Hey guys just wanted to update this post. I have fished there the last 2 days and tried all 3 ponds, the northeast pond the northeast pond was best for me, the South pond was 2nd best, and the West pond was worst.

Caught several nice bass 10-12" at the East pond, a big channel at the south, and A 18" carp at the West. A lot of people have been saying the West one has no fish but that's not true it is absolutely teeming with carp and baitfish. I think there are also bass but i couldnt catch any.

If you like carp fishing I would go to the West pond, I saw 5 or 6 18" or bigger carp eating grass off the banks. the one I caught i actually caught in a cast net while stocking up on some bate fish for the south pond.

Re: Breckenridge Park Richardson - 11/20/21 05:37 AM

I was planning on going either Sunday or Monday morning...
I'm inspired.

I have no problem catching carp. I catch and release so the species doesn't matter to me. I just hate getting skunked, so whatever wants to bite and fight, I'm game! IN65

...!
Posted By: JakeRidesAgain

Re: Breckenridge Park Richardson - 11/20/21 08:52 PM

This is my local pond, I spend a lotta time here. Definitely no fish, nope, move along :P

I usually fish rhe northern ponds. Creek can be steep but there's bluegill and crappie in there. In the west pond I tend to have the most luck on the north side. In the east pond, I have caught decent size crappie on the west side by the bridge. Around 5pm or so the baitfish are going nuts toward the top of the water, and we'll see tons of fish jumping throughout the day usually.

Re: Breckenridge Park Richardson - 11/24/21 11:28 PM

I went Tuesday and fished the Northeast pond off Renner.
I got skunked for bass and carp.

On my last cast for the day, I caught a turtle.
Does this count, or do I still qualify as "skunked"?

I was there from about 8:30-11:30 or so.

I seem to have lost my fishing game, but that's another topic.IN65

...------
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Breckenridge Park Richardson - 11/30/21 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRidesAgain
This is my local pond, I spend a lotta time here. Definitely no fish, nope, move along :P

I usually fish rhe northern ponds. Creek can be steep but there's bluegill and crappie in there. In the west pond I tend to have the most luck on the north side. In the east pond, I have caught decent size crappie on the west side by the bridge. Around 5pm or so the baitfish are going nuts toward the top of the water, and we'll see tons of fish jumping throughout the day usually.

thats nice of you to share
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum