Texas Fishing Forum

Tawakoni Spillway

Posted By: hellbender

Tawakoni Spillway - 05/29/15 05:56 AM

Hey guys thought I'd share what's going on down there or lack there of.I fished it pretty hard core today & there just not in there.Plenty of water is coming over.Lots of carp& gar is all I saw.Please report if it turns on back there.
Posted By: River Mongrel

Re: Tawakoni Spillway - 05/29/15 02:11 PM

Is water muddy?

Re: Tawakoni Spillway - 05/29/15 03:05 PM

Ya it's pretty muddy.but to not even get cats is strange.i was getting bites but it was gar stealing the shad

Re: Tawakoni Spillway - 05/29/15 03:21 PM

When its muddy its brutal man even sometimes with cut bait!
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: Tawakoni Spillway - 05/30/15 11:16 AM

Only 3 people fishing the spillway yesterday afternoon...
Big rain again here this morning
Posted By: BCJC82

Re: Tawakoni Spillway - 05/31/15 11:55 PM

Wife sent me this on her way to a friends house.

Posted By: BankAngler50

Re: Tawakoni Spillway - 06/01/15 05:22 AM

[quote=BCJC82]Wife sent me this on her way to a friends house.

[/quote ]
Water is actually chocolaty brown, and just like in the picture about a foot of water above top of spillway. Still not enough white water that churn out oxygen to send down stream. Saw one guy fish with surf rod n casting bobber from the bank, did not see any fish caught. One guy with crappie rod wade waist deep, kept getting hunk up, no fish. I fished lake side for 3 hours with 6 other fisherme, no one caught any fish either.

Re: Tawakoni Spillway - 06/01/15 04:44 PM

Cool pics!
Posted By: BCJC82

Re: Tawakoni Spillway - 06/02/15 10:28 PM

I went down there today just to take a loog no fishing and the water in my opinion looks great. It is stained but not muddy at all. Not really sure how to fish that area since there is very limited bank access
Posted By: Terek

Re: Tawakoni Spillway - 06/10/15 10:33 PM

Is the water still coming out and any thing being caught below the dam lately?
Posted By: fishing_tom

Re: Tawakoni Spillway - 06/15/15 08:27 PM

What's the report????

Re: Tawakoni Spillway - 06/28/15 05:21 PM

Anyone catching any hybrid down there yet
Posted By: BankAngler50

Re: Tawakoni Spillway - 06/29/15 11:12 PM

I tried to fish there twice, both in the afternoon, my last time there was just before the rain storm hit Tawakoni. The pictures below were taken when rain just started to drop... It's very hard to fish this spillway because the river level just barely cover the overgrown shrubs and trees that covered the river bed for years. The deep dropoff river channel is only a few yards wide... I tried top water poppers, nadda. While I did not see any fish caught both afternoon that I was there, a local angler told me that he caught some nice white bass and catfish just before water spill over the spillway. I tried to sling my bottom catfish rigs to river channel for some catfish but didn't get to fish much between snagging, lost a couple of rigs, then the storm hit, barely had time to get to my suv... caught nadda.

Spillway side water is deep but it's completely fenced off.

River side

Posted By: Optics

Re: Tawakoni Spillway - 06/30/15 03:51 AM

Has anyone tried fishing at Tawakoni State Park?
Posted By: LetgoFishing

Re: Tawakoni Spillway - 07/09/15 09:45 PM

Thinking about head up to the spillway tomorrow to give it a try. Wonder if anyone have any luck at the spillway?
Posted By: LetgoFishing

Re: Tawakoni Spillway - 07/13/15 05:09 PM

Went there Friday 7/10 and was able to catch one baby striper only. There was only about maybe 10 ppls out there and they were all catching drum & small catfish only. Every once in a while someone would catch sand bass or baby striper. The water is still a little muddy and a lots of foam.
Posted By: Taylor0262

Re: Tawakoni Spillway - 10/17/18 12:24 PM

Any one try it recently?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum