Texas Fishing Forum

Ponds in DFW with Smallmouth bass?

Posted By: TxPacker4

Ponds in DFW with Smallmouth bass? - 05/26/15 05:58 PM

A couple years back, I recall hearing about a couple ponds in the DFW area that were stocked with smallmouth bass. Does anyone have an idea where these ponds are? I used to tear them up at Lake Belton, but that's too far of a drive for a pit stop after work.
Posted By: Smithaven

Re: Ponds in DFW with Smallmouth bass? - 05/26/15 06:04 PM

The lakes are Grapevine and Wheeler Branch.
Posted By: Knot at work

Re: Ponds in DFW with Smallmouth bass? - 05/27/15 03:56 AM

Grapevine would be your close bet I think and even there its kind of rare. I like to make the 5 hour drive to Arkansas and fish one of the rivers where its rare to catch a largemouth. Nothing better than catching smallmouth all day.
Posted By: TxPacker4

Re: Ponds in DFW with Smallmouth bass? - 05/27/15 04:22 AM

I know which lakes around have them. I've heard of ponds in the area that had smallies in them. I just can't remember where they were.

Re: Ponds in DFW with Smallmouth bass? - 05/27/15 04:33 AM

I dont think Smallmouth bass even stand a chance in a pond around North Texas, or anywhere in the south. They need current alot of oxygen and somewhat cool water. Were talking ponds here though. Unless Im missing something. That would be awesome. I have heard of them in Ponds but they are managed/stocked just for Smalmouth.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Ponds in DFW with Smallmouth bass? - 05/27/15 01:26 PM

There have to be a few smallmouth in Trinity flood water retention ponds. Some of these water retention ponds are deep enough with enough current.
Posted By: lite-liner

Re: Ponds in DFW with Smallmouth bass? - 05/27/15 01:48 PM

texoma has lots of BIG brownies.
I guess it could happen, especially after flooding like we've had,
but the chances of finding a pond in NE Texas that can maintain
smallmouth are gonna be next to zero
That said, I'd bet you could find one or 2 in any clean, limestone creek that runs thru DFW

Good Luck!

Re: Ponds in DFW with Smallmouth bass? - 05/27/15 07:15 PM

They cant compete with Largemouth in warmer waters where Largemouth can grow bigger than them. That said I heard if you want to have a smallmouth pond it can only have smallmouth no largemouth. Arkansas is chock full of them.

Re: Ponds in DFW with Smallmouth bass? - 05/27/15 07:19 PM

If we did have a smallie dominant pond around here ya'll wouldnt want to know the things I would do to get on it haha
Posted By: jrod88

Re: Ponds in DFW with Smallmouth bass? - 05/28/15 03:43 AM

A salesman at Gander Mountain showed me a video of a large smallmouth he harvested from the ponds in Las Colinas...
Posted By: GoldSpoonr

Re: Ponds in DFW with Smallmouth bass? - 05/28/15 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By: jrod88
A salesman at Gander Mountain showed me a video of a large smallmouth he harvested from the ponds in Las Colinas...

I believe this!
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Ponds in DFW with Smallmouth bass? - 05/30/15 05:16 AM

South Lake in Farmers Branch? I feel like I've heard that before. I've never been there, so I can't confirm.
Posted By: jasoniam

Re: Ponds in DFW with Smallmouth bass? - 05/30/15 11:24 AM

Originally Posted By: GoldSpoonr

I believe this!

Seems like a while back the infamous one named Rudy caught one there!! I may be wrong but it seems like either I've seen him post it or others talk about it!!

Re: Ponds in DFW with Smallmouth bass? - 05/31/15 03:52 AM

This kid was named Dillon. Helpful guy. Had a nice Go-Pro video of the catch and a smaller black bass.
Posted By: SpiderJig

Re: Ponds in DFW with Smallmouth bass? - 06/01/15 01:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter
South Lake in Farmers Branch? I feel like I've heard that before. I've never been there, so I can't confirm.
huh?

Re: Ponds in DFW with Smallmouth bass? - 06/02/15 01:57 AM

He might be thinking of the pond on Beltline in/near Coppell? My uncle used to work for an energy provider down there.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Ponds in DFW with Smallmouth bass? - 06/03/15 05:27 AM

Originally Posted By: SpiderJig
Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter
huh?

My bad, Farmersville. And I'm not sure where I heard or saw that. I can't find it now.
Posted By: lite-liner

Re: Ponds in DFW with Smallmouth bass? - 06/03/15 08:26 PM

He might be thinking of the pond on Beltline in/near Coppell? My uncle used to work for an energy provider down there.

that place (north lake) is long gone, dried up.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum