Texas Fishing Forum

Fishing License

Posted By: lakeeire

Fishing License - 05/22/09 03:03 PM

I'm new to Texas and need to know if a license is required if fishing only from the banks?
Posted By: Boudreaux

Re: Fishing License - 05/22/09 03:06 PM

A liscense is required to fish any texas waters. Bank, boat,dock, wade. Any fishing period requires that you have a valid Texas fishing liscense.
Posted By: Wisco Kid

Re: Fishing License - 05/22/09 03:32 PM

Only exception to this rule is if you are fishing from the bank in a state park. No license needed there.
Posted By: EJ2000

Re: Fishing License - 06/03/09 04:32 PM

i would say get your fishing license and you have no worries at all about fishing anywhere in Texas. that is just my opinion... i would not take any chances period. fines can get pretty expensive.
Posted By: lost fisherman

Re: Fishing License - 06/03/09 06:28 PM

Yep, was caught with an expired license couple of weeks ago. Fine depends on county judge. Mine was $109.
Posted By: iamquockie

Re: Fishing License - 06/03/09 08:30 PM

ur lucky, last time I got caught without one it was $205, got caught on september 3rd lol.
Posted By: bigcatter

Re: Fishing License - 06/04/09 12:17 PM

I might be wrong but cant you fish with a cane pole and live bait without a fishing lic.

I would go ahead and get a lic. the money is suppose to go back into a fund to restock lakes and stuff...
Posted By: luvdemslabs

Re: Fishing License - 06/04/09 10:32 PM

bigcatter, alot of rules have changed and the cane pole rule is one of them. My best advice is for anyone that does not have a updated rule book should go to their nearest sporting store and pick up one
Posted By: Siberman

Re: Fishing License - 06/06/09 01:18 AM

Born before 1930 : no license needed.

Under 12 : nope.

Bob Sandlin State Park : no.

"Special Catch" days (for young children and the physically / mentally handicapped on certain lakes at specified times) : no.

Everything else: check "the Book". wink
Posted By: Smile-n-Nod

Re: Fishing License - 06/06/09 03:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Siberman

Under 12 : nope.

Under 17, no license required:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/annual/general/fish_licenses/
Posted By: Siberman

Re: Fishing License - 06/06/09 08:55 PM

Saw that in the book this morning. You beat me to it. ;o)
Posted By: Canyon Tackle Box

Re: Fishing License - 06/06/09 10:31 PM

Is $28 worth the gamble to get nailed with a $100+ fine? Better safe than sorry
Posted By: Bass fro chop

Re: Fishing License - 06/06/09 11:27 PM

Free Sportfishing Day events around the state will highlight National Fishing and Boating Week, allowing anglers to fish any public waters in Texas without a fishing license on Saturday, June 6.

Posted By: Bocephys

Re: Fishing License - 06/07/09 07:18 PM

While fishing from the bank or dock that is part of a "Texas State Parks" or an interior pond in those parks, No License is Required. Of course, you have to pay a per person fee to get in one.

Children under 17 are exempt from having a Fishing License on public waters.

Be glad you are "not" old enough to qualify for the "Too Old To Need One" category.

One misconception still floating around, is that you must have a fishing license to fish "Private Farm Ponds". There is no license requirement to fish them.

When license is required, you must posess a valid Drivers License or other state issued ID.

Good Luck,

W.P. Minor,
Chief of Law Enforcement,
TCFWSD#1 Lake Bob Sandlin

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum