Texas Fishing Forum

Benbrook Spillway

Posted By: Coach C

Benbrook Spillway - 03/25/09 06:52 PM

Anyone ever have any luck below the dam by the Golf Course? Will be in southwest Fort Worth this weekend and its really close to where I will be. I always see people there but don't know what they are catching and I am limited to bank fishing.
Posted By: elbandito78

Re: Benbrook Spillway - 03/25/09 09:29 PM

I see people out there when they are releasing water. As dry as it's been, I don't think they will be releasing any water anytime soon. I haven't had very good luck on Benbrook lately and I'm limited to bank fishing as well. It's just so close to the house. Lol. I've heard Rocky creek can be a productive area...but like I said, I haven't had much luck lately. There are a few people on here that are familiar with Benbrook. Maybe they will have better info.
Posted By: @K@

Re: Benbrook Spillway - 03/25/09 10:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Coach C
Anyone ever have any luck below the dam by the Golf Course? Will be in southwest Fort Worth this weekend and its really close to where I will be. I always see people there but don't know what they are catching and I am limited to bank fishing.

Yeah thats a good spot....But if u go through the GOLF COURES before u get to the spill way on the left u can park ur car.If u walk along the bank through the Course u well come to a small dam..(Its like some Cement that goes across the river )..There I have caught many fish of all kind in the flowing water ...You well know that ur close to he spot cause u will pass the brige that golf carts pass over...Alot of time on the way there you can see many Bass in the water from the bank that ur walking along. But there hard to reach cause ur so high up from the water...Good Luck..I havent been there in yrs.....Let me know if u find the spot. Its kind of hidden..........
Posted By: bigtexnick

Re: Benbrook Spillway - 03/26/09 12:56 AM

i've got pictures of that spillway when it was dry. i know where fish gather in that little pond.... wink
Posted By: @K@

Re: Benbrook Spillway - 03/26/09 02:46 AM

Originally Posted By: bigtexnick
i've got pictures of that spillway when it was dry. i know where fish gather in that little pond.... wink

Nice,So u know what Iam talking about ??..Kool....Yeah, A friend of mine showed me that spot yrs ago..The first day he took me there I was catching Hybreds on small Jigs with LiteRods..Man u talk about a fight..We went there trying to catch Sandies , but instead all we were hooking were Hybreds LOL....I'll take those anyday...OOO yeah a few time the Golf Coures Guys tryed to run us off but we didnt move heheheheh............
Posted By: Kerry Dugan

Re: Benbrook Spillway - 03/27/09 01:00 AM

Originally Posted By: elbandito78
There are a few people on here that are familiar with Benbrook. Maybe they will have better info.

If your limited to the bank, You need to fish about mid ways down the dam, its a good walk to get there, but its worth it. I have been boating big hybrids right off the dam. 7-8.5 lbers. 3/4 oz jig head with a 5 in Chartruese sassy shad and or pearl color. But fishing from bank you might go to a 1/2 oz head.

Re: Benbrook Spillway - 03/27/09 01:29 AM

Thanks for the advice! That is a good walk, but I might have to try it. I've fished out that way a couple of times, but mostly for catfish. This wind has been out of the South for a while...I guess maybe it's got the shad concentrated up that way.
Posted By: hellbender

Re: Benbrook Spillway - 03/27/09 02:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Benbrook Guide
There are a few people on here that are familiar with Benbrook. Maybe they will have better info.

If your limited to the bank, You need to fish about mid ways down the dam, its a good walk to get there, but its worth it. I have been boating big hybrids right off the dam. 7-8.5 lbers. 3/4 oz jig head with a 5 in Chartruese sassy shad and or pearl color. But fishing from bank you might go to a 1/2 oz head.
can you get a kayak in there safely benbrook guide?

Re: Benbrook Spillway - 03/27/09 02:47 AM

hellbender............ yes
Posted By: hellbender

Re: Benbrook Spillway - 03/27/09 04:04 AM

where would i launch buddy? and what if ther wind picks up....thanks

Re: Benbrook Spillway - 03/27/09 01:20 PM

PM sent Hellbender

Re: Benbrook Spillway - 03/27/09 01:53 PM

Originally Posted By: hellbender
[quote=Benbrook Guide][quote=elbandito78]can you get a kayak in there safely benbrook guide?

if you're in a kayak, i'd make sure the winds are very light that day, like less than 10mph. now if the wind is from the north, then you'll be OK because it blows right over the top of the dam and gives you about 50-60 yards of calm clear water in front of the dam. you could probably launch from longhorn park, that'd be the closest i think.

good luck.

Re: Benbrook Spillway - 03/27/09 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By: bigtexnick
Originally Posted By: hellbender
[quote=Benbrook Guide][quote=elbandito78]can you get a kayak in there safely benbrook guide?

if you're in a kayak, i'd make sure the winds are very light that day, like less than 10mph. now if the wind is from the north, then you'll be OK because it blows right over the top of the dam and gives you about 50-60 yards of calm clear water in front of the dam. you could probably launch from longhorn park, that'd be the closest i think.

good luck.

Did they open Longhorn back up? I recently purchased a kayak and that sounds like it wouldnt be too far of a paddle. So far I've been paddling around in the Rocky Creek Park area. With the wind the way it is lately, I've been mostly banking it still.

Re: Benbrook Spillway - 03/27/09 10:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Benbrook Guide
PM sent Hellbender

Do you have anyone that's looking for someone else to split a trip with? Benbrook's my "home" lake and I would really like to learn more about it. I've fished the lake for years with streaky success.

Re: Benbrook Spillway - 03/27/09 10:32 PM

yeah its open. drove by there this week. water looks a little shallow, but no problem in a kayak.

Re: Benbrook Spillway - 03/27/09 10:33 PM

Thanks for the tip. smile

Re: Benbrook Spillway - 03/28/09 02:04 AM

Do you have anyone that's looking for someone else to split a trip with?

Anybody wanna split a trip?

Re: Benbrook Spillway - 03/28/09 02:07 AM

elbandito, You may wanna chime in on my add in the hybrid/sandbass section also to find someone.
Posted By: NTXBankFishing

Re: Benbrook Spillway - 05/17/16 04:18 AM

Anyone fished there lately?
Posted By: Nathan "Bull" Montgomery

Re: Benbrook Spillway - 05/17/16 09:58 PM

7 year old thread back from the dead!!! lol
Posted By: IkeD

Re: Benbrook Spillway - 05/18/16 04:29 AM

If you get out there early... Maybe 5:30 or 6 right before the sun comes up, you can fish the pond on Pecan Valley golf course. The first hole closest to the road has good bass and huge cats. Squeeze through the cattle fence and you're in. Then walk across the pond to the green and there will be a single tree about 2 ft off the water. That's the best place to stand. The golfers are pretty nice if you run into any, so are the girls that drive the refreshment cart. Try not to stay later than 9 lol. Good luck.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum