Texas Fishing Forum

Trout time

Posted By: scubaarchery

Trout time - 11/03/22 11:40 PM

Its about time to start trout fishing! Schedule should be posted soon! Last year was my worst year ever, I didn’t catch very many! Do you all keep your powerbait from last year or buy new bait?
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: Trout time - 11/03/22 11:57 PM

I keep my power worms. Bought them 3 years ago and still produced. Berkeley corn hammered em everywhere I went last year. McKinney, Prosper, Greenville,Denison and Sherman was like trout crack! 4$ at Walmart for jar
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Trout time - 11/04/22 01:16 AM

Unless the powerbait dries out, I use it. I have used jars that are years old with success.

Re: Trout time - 11/04/22 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Osbornfishing
Unless the powerbait dries out, I use it. I have used jars that are years old with success.

thanks thats helpful! I will keep mine then!
Posted By: fishinagain

Re: Trout time - 11/08/22 12:44 PM

Schedule has been posted. filtered by city for your convenience.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/management/stocking/trout_stocking.phtml?s=c#largeModal
Posted By: fshng84

Re: Trout time - 11/09/22 03:31 AM

Fun with Spreadsheets | Texas Parks and Wildlife Winter Trout Stocking Schedule for 2022-2023
Another year has passed and another Winter trout stocking season is upon us. And, like in past seasons, yours truly modified the schedule posted by TPWD to sort by Stocking Date and the count of trout stockings planned for a location and its estimated trout to be stocked.

Makes for ease of reference by allowing Readers to quickly see when the next trout stocking is planned. As changes are unexpected for various reasons like weather, do check for updates, changes, and corrections at TPWD’s website – 2022-2023 TPWD Trout Stocking Schedule.

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Trout time - 11/12/22 02:03 PM

thumb
Posted By: Searsay

Re: Trout time - 11/12/22 05:48 PM

I'm sad... no Flower Mound stocking this year (yet) frown - they did add it back in three years ago about 2 weeks after schedule was posted... so here is hoping.

That said - I'm looking forward to introducing a bunch of people to fishing this years trout stocking and my son wants to try fly fishing smile

I also might make it into OK for some of the trout fishing up there as I take my Brother-in-law from tulsa out trout fishing.

for mousetails/worms - powerbait does sell a trout attractant that can keep those going longer w/o drying out. Once I lose the seal on a bag and the season ends I'll load them into a ziplock with a little bit of the attractant/juice to keep them for the next season. Has let me keep some that i would have otherwise lost (though it is a bit messier).
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: Trout time - 11/14/22 03:11 AM

Surprised McKinney only stocking 500
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Trout time - 11/15/22 07:33 PM

cant wait
&
we get 1 in Arlington

Re: Trout time - 11/22/22 09:54 PM

Looks like S Denton is stocking soon…. Anyone going?
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Trout time - 11/23/22 12:45 AM

also the bait is good
as long as it is sticky

good luck

i am switching to corn this year

Re: Trout time - 11/23/22 03:58 AM

I'll be at denton with my kids around 10am... Was going to be there earlier but errands at 9:30 will cause me to be late. Wonder if the rain will keep people away.
Posted By: ggoytia

Re: Trout time - 11/23/22 10:13 AM

Thanks for posting I'll have the kids with me.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Trout time - 11/23/22 10:16 PM

Took my kiddo with me to the Denton parks pond. Her patience was at almost zero and I finally gave up - we went over to the playground so she could play.

Re: Trout time - 11/24/22 03:11 AM

As per prior years, mousetails were basically cheating - with any color getting bites - all of my kids got to reel in at least 2, for a total of 7. Reeds/brush has gotten really bad for the denton pond. They couldn't even drop the trout in the usual place due to reeds - basically only the dock and 3-4 other small spots are fishable without hooking onto reeds.

Plan to try again w/ niece and kids on Friday morning pior to our delayed turkey dinner.

Re: Trout time - 11/25/22 05:42 AM

Thanks for the report! We won’t fish until they stock Bethany in December, but we are looking forward to it!
Posted By: __TX__

Re: Trout time - 11/29/22 06:30 PM

looks like they are stocking today in Glen Rose, think i'll take the kiddos.. i've never fished for trout.. is it worth getting those baits or just worms or what?
Posted By: fishinagain

Re: Trout time - 11/29/22 07:19 PM

If you can find them pick up some super dupers in various colors/weights.
Posted By: Siberman

Re: Trout time - 11/29/22 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by __TX__
looks like they are stocking today in Glen Rose, think i'll take the kiddos.. i've never fished for trout.. is it worth getting those baits or just worms or what?

Use corn or Berkley's maize on small hooks with a small sinker about 18" from bait . Small spinner baits are effective as well .

They're fun to catch but I'd just as soon have a mess of crappie or sandies .

Re: Trout time - 12/02/22 07:42 PM

Me and a friend of mine limited out at Blanco State Park. Gold Super Dupers and Power Bait were used. thumb

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ifishlbj

Re: Trout time - 12/02/22 10:51 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
TPWD stocked 1500 rainbows today at San Gabriel Park in GTX. I went at about 2:00 PM. Only a few guys fishing. Couldn’t believe it. Tomorrow will be a different story. There is a kids trout derby from 8:00 till 10:00 AM. It’s limited to the first 100 kids to get registered. Think I’ll wait till about 2:00 to go again tomorrow. Didn’t keep any today but the numbers were really good. Let those kids catch them again tomorrow

Re: Trout time - 12/03/22 11:08 AM

Awesome! It’s always fun after the derby! My kid like to sleep late so we never make it early!

Re: Trout time - 12/16/22 01:18 AM

Picked up a easy limit at Garner State Park. Went after the day of the stocking. Gold Super Duper got it done. Caught about 30 and kept 5. thumb

Re: Trout time - 12/20/22 04:13 AM

Awesome! Super dupers are my go to lure, sometimes gold, sometimes silver... Rarely both... I mostly fish with the girls and if I go with them, its normally Powerbait...
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Trout time - 01/05/23 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ledeez
Surprised McKinney only stocking 500

And Frisco gets 4,000! That lake is not near as big as Town Lake either. Very weird.
Posted By: shark52

Re: Trout time - 01/11/23 04:22 AM

Town Lake always gets 4000, i think they accidently swapped the totals
Posted By: Tommar

Re: Trout time - 01/11/23 06:46 PM

I’m going to my first one Friday.

How many people typically come out to these things and what time do they drop them?
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Trout time - 01/11/23 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Tommar
I’m going to my first one Friday.

How many people typically come out to these things and what time do they drop them?

better get ready for a crowd. I went to a small park in kennedale on the 3rd when they stocked it and I would say about a hundred people all casting on top of each other lol it was crazy.
Posted By: ifishlbj

Re: Trout time - 01/13/23 12:03 AM

[Linked Image]
This was the lure of choice yesterday at the stocking site in Harker Heights. Very old school WOB-L-RITE SPOON. The pond is usually on the murky side. Banker told me a few years ago to try silver instead of gold in murky water. Great tip that really worked well yesterday. Thanks Banker! Gold SDL is my go to for RBT in clear water. Never tied one on yesterday. Caught twenty plus in about 2 hours. Released all but one that was deep hooked. Thanks again Banker! Tomorrow either Blue Hole or Hamilton Creek in Burnet. Blue Hole water is very clear. Hamilton Creek usually murky.
Posted By: catchnrelease

Re: Trout time - 01/20/23 06:52 PM

Here is one I caught early January 2023 at the Guadalupe River below Canyon Lake.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jsinn01

Re: Trout time - 01/20/23 06:59 PM

Nice catch! What lure/bait were you using?
Posted By: catchnrelease

Re: Trout time - 01/21/23 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by jsinn01
Nice catch! What lure/bait were you using?

powerbait.

Re: Trout time - 01/26/23 03:41 PM

Back to Back Limits at Live Oak Lake! Stocked 1-25-23, limited. Went back the next morning, limited again. Gold Super Duper Lure. thumb

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: F4 Gator

Re: Trout time - 01/26/23 05:19 PM

thumb

Re: Trout time - 02/04/23 04:18 PM

Limited easily at Garner State Park yesterday. My friend also limited out with no problems. Plenty of fish. thumb

Re: Trout time - 02/14/23 01:08 AM

Finally got to go trout fishing! I took my girls and used two hook power baits at Warren Sports complex!

You need salmon egg hooks to float the bait but it was in fire! 17 fish in an hour! Stockings coming up the next two weekends!

https://youtube.com/shorts/fqbbv_vKcw0?feature=share
Posted By: __TX__

Re: Trout time - 02/20/23 03:25 PM

Anybody hit Glen Rose or Dinosaur Valley? cool

Re: Trout time - 02/24/23 03:14 PM

Back to Back Double Limits.

There are still plenty of Rainbow Trout in the Guadalupe River. Myself and a good friend of mine got these Thursday 2/23 and Friday 2/24. Fished from sunup till 9:00 a.m. Caught well over forty fish each day. Kept 10 for the frying pan. Gold Super Duper Lures and Orange colored Trout Bait. hooked

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Yellow_Cloud

Re: Trout time - 02/25/23 06:41 PM

Got a question - I am turning 65 this year. I have googled that says I can fish in Oklahoma with a Texas fishing license after I turn 65, including fishing at Blue River in Oklahoma for trout. However, I have also heard that is limited to Texoma lake fishing only and does not cover Blue River. Does anyone know? Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Lino_NTX

Re: Trout time - 02/28/23 06:57 PM

Hey Yellow_Cloud, I looked around on the Oklahoma Blue River PFHA and didn't find a clear solution. Your best bet is to contact the management admin directly.

Contacts
Fishing: (580) 920-5773
Hunting: (580) 920-5773
Game Warden (County):
(580) 320-2948(Johnston)
(580) 320-2950(Johnston)
Posted By: Yellow_Cloud

Re: Trout time - 03/02/23 04:35 PM

Lino_NTX, Thank you for the information. Appreciate it.
Posted By: redloon

Re: Trout time - 03/02/23 05:40 PM

Yes, you can fish the Blue River in Oklahoma with a Texas fishing license when you turn 65. I've been going to the Blue River for the past several years after turning 65 with no problems and have even been checked by the rangers a couple of times,

One other thing - you can have multiple poles with you but can only use one at a time. I often carry my fly rod and a spinning rod and start off fly fishing and then switch to spinning using Power Bait when they get tired of the fly.

Limit is three fish, Used to be 6 but that ended a couple of years ago,
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Trout time - 03/11/23 12:56 AM

Awesome thread.

Re: Trout time - 03/12/23 03:38 PM

There are still plenty of Trout in both the Guadalupe and Blanco Rivers. Got these with a friend of mine this past Friday. We also got limits on Tuesday and Wednesday. Berkley Trout Bait- Yellow in color and Gold Super Duper lures were used. Catch em while they last. Will not be long until they die off.

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum