Texas Fishing Forum

Oklahoma Killer Rig Question

Posted By: erittmueller

Oklahoma Killer Rig Question - 10/10/18 09:52 PM

I've used the OKR with success before and was wondering about using a different top lure. I just got a 10 inch floating swimbait and I'm wondering if anyone has used a really big topwater lure for the OKR before? Have always used a spook but wondering if the massive lure would work better for the bigger fish like 15+ inch sand bass and hybrids?

Eric
Posted By: elbandito78

Re: Oklahoma Killer Rig Question - 10/10/18 10:58 PM

I hadn't seen this rig before but it's interesting. I would say it's worth experimenting with. Is the purpose of the rig to get shy fish to bite the jig underneath?

Re: Oklahoma Killer Rig Question - 10/11/18 04:54 PM

Correct, topwater draws in a follower that has a smaller bait right in its face.

Eric
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Oklahoma Killer Rig Question - 10/11/18 09:01 PM

I used this method for white bass fishing many years ago. Now days it is just as easy using an Alabama Rig.
Posted By: elbandito78

Re: Oklahoma Killer Rig Question - 10/11/18 09:58 PM

Originally Posted By: erittmueller
Correct, topwater draws in a follower that has a smaller bait right in its face.

Eric

Hmmm...could be worth using a large top water and the same jig, same top water and larger jig and larger both top water and jig.

When is this rig most effective? Right after they stop hitting shad on top? When they're on shallow flats?

Re: Oklahoma Killer Rig Question - 10/12/18 02:33 PM

I've never used it on a lake, always used it in rivers, spillways, creeks, etc. Not as effective if fish are say 20 feet down in the summer...

Eric
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum