Texas Fishing Forum

Fat minnows and goldies and rosey reds

Posted By: Bubbler

Fat minnows and goldies and rosey reds - 02/15/18 02:30 PM

OK guys.......question.

I bought some medium and large bait minnows in the fall and have kept them in an old aquarium with gold fish all winter. Nice fat and XX-large. Much bigger than larger minnows but they don't look like shad.

Even the rosey reds now look like large minnows.

Want to put them on a hook and see what I catch. Should I fish those puppies off the bottom or a bobber and a couple feet from surface? I live near Ray Hubbard. Hints of a good spot would be nice.
Posted By: Indianation65

Re: Fat minnows and goldies and rosey reds - 02/15/18 07:50 PM

Hmm, good question...

Since the fish are biting sooooo slow these days due to cold water, I wonder if minnows would stay active enough to draw bites.

They might die before anything goes for them.

From what I have read about cold water fishing, most predator fish are hanging out and barely moving next to cover, any kind of cover, and the sun seems to be warming up some spots as the sun heats the day.

Bobber or not, near the surface or near the bottoms, fish slowly by cover and try to determine depth of cover after a few casts.

Good luck!

...------
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Fat minnows and goldies and rosey reds - 02/15/18 08:08 PM

Yeah bank fishing is a bit tough, it’s still cold and there isn’t really much up shallow.
Posted By: Bubbler

Re: Fat minnows and goldies and rosey reds - 02/15/18 08:52 PM

You guys are about right.

I will hold onto.....and fatten them up another month.

Some of the minnow are as long as small sunfish at this point.

Should be fun whenever I do get out.
Posted By: erittmueller

Re: Fat minnows and goldies and rosey reds - 02/15/18 10:32 PM

Once the weather is warmer there will be even more movement and feeding at night just FYI.

Eric
Posted By: Duckcreek Davy

Re: Fat minnows and goldies and rosey reds - 02/26/18 06:26 AM

Hook them through the lips with a nice sharp hook and pinch on just enough weight to cast where you want it to be...I'd think close to the bank on a fairly warm day close to some vegetation or other cover and hold on tight. Those big minnows are Bass Crack.
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Fat minnows and goldies and rosey reds - 02/26/18 12:53 PM

Sounds like you have a good plan.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum