Posted By: Ledeez

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 11/14/17 02:07 AM

Thanks cheers
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 11/14/17 03:51 AM

Love catching those trout in the winter time. Thanks for the post. thumb
Posted By: SubarashiiSpider

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 11/18/17 08:07 PM

At what time do they normally stock the trout? Wanting to go to one on 11/22 but work at 12pm. Don't know if it's worth going early in the morning to try and get in on it.
Posted By: Laker One

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 11/18/17 08:38 PM

Depending on the area you are fishing there should be plenty a few days after the stocking takes places. Some places get stockings every week during December and January. Other places get several stockings during the program. Check the stocking schedule in your area.
Posted By: Nekro

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 11/19/17 03:41 AM

Originally Posted By: SubarashiiSpider
At what time do they normally stock the trout? Wanting to go to one on 11/22 but work at 12pm. Don't know if it's worth going early in the morning to try and get in on it.

The fish might also may need a day or to adjust to the new water so they might not bite the first day. I could be wrong, just my 2 cents...
Posted By: fshng84

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 11/19/17 05:09 AM

Can be hit or miss; seen them bite soon after being stocked. Also, seen them in shock after being released - too warm, too cold, etc...

Here is the truck releasing trout at Bethany in 2015:

Here is the follow-on video of trout being caught the soon after... first fish was a Bass, then rest were trout.
Posted By: kjwolvy

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 11/20/17 10:44 PM

Anyone use Me pls Little Wolfe's? They look good in the water but never actually caught a fish on one.
Posted By: ckcrew

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 11/23/17 12:11 AM

Stopped by mesquite to catch some trout for the first time this season. It was slow. Caught one in about two hours of fishing. When I left around 3:00 the score was (40) cormorants : (10) humans
Posted By: pavlaugh

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 11/25/17 02:34 AM

I was at Southside Lions Park in San Antonio today from 7 am to 12 pm. Circled the pond casting a super duper and then threw out some floats with power bait at the only spot where the fish were surfacing. No bits. Talked to about 20 people as I went around the pond. Nobody had caught any trout.
Posted By: Searsay

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 11/25/17 04:21 AM

Took my son to the Denton stocking earlier this week along with my father and a visiting friend. Took 2 hours to dial in (of 3hrs fishing) but the trout were biting on orange/chartruse with very slow/static presentations (spinners were not working). We walked away with 4 total off of two poles that were rigged the same way.
Posted By: I-35 North

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 11/26/17 04:57 AM

Originally Posted By: ckcrew
Stopped by mesquite to catch some trout for the first time this season. It was slow. Caught one in about two hours of fishing. When I left around 3:00 the score was (40) cormorants : (10) humans

That score will only widen as we go through this season hammer

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 11/26/17 03:23 PM

Fished the Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center in Athens for trout Saturday; fun time fishing on a warm November day! Used fly rods and bubble/fly rigs on spinning gear to catch them... fun stuff! Video posted!

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 11/26/17 11:13 PM

I went to Missouri City CPL today from 7:30 to 11:30 a.m. Plenty of trout jumping and surfacing in the first few hours. No luck on power bait or super duper. No one else pulled out any. One guy said he had fished every day since the 11/22 stocking and hadn't seen anyone pull out any trout (or perhaps one person had one the first day, I don't recall). The birds caught some, though!

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 11/27/17 02:49 AM

Quick trip to check out the action at South Lakes in Denton. Caught several little Bluegill; did see others catch trout. Fun stuff! Video snippet posted.

Posted By: TXfisherman12

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 11/27/17 05:33 PM

Originally Posted By: pavlaugh
I went to Missouri City CPL today from 7:30 to 11:30 a.m. Plenty of trout jumping and surfacing in the first few hours. No luck on power bait or super duper. No one else pulled out any. One guy said he had fished every day since the 11/22 stocking and hadn't seen anyone pull out any trout (or perhaps one person had one the first day, I don't recall). The birds caught some, though!

Every year I fish that pond and have very little success with lures. For whatever the reason, a lot of other people strike out there with lures too. I still cant figure it out because at the other local stockings I fish each year the trout will take lures readily. Are you planning on hittin any of the other stockings in the Mizzou city/sugar land area this year?

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 11/27/17 07:53 PM

anyone here planning on hitting the flowermound stocking on Dec 6th? - small(emphasis on small) little pond with some of the clearest water I've seen so far in Texas. I'm amazed they plan to put in 1000 there.
Posted By: Yellow_Cloud

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 11/28/17 12:56 AM

I was wondering whether it was a mistake that they said they would stock Heritage Park in Flower Mound. I do not see a pond in that park based on Google map.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 11/28/17 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Yellow_Cloud
I was wondering whether it was a mistake that they said they would stock Heritage Park in Flower Mound. I do not see a pond in that park based on Google map.

It's a new pond... fished it last year, small but still fun to fish! Exit mentioned in the video may be closed still due to construction, but still easy to get to at the next exit after.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 11/28/17 02:53 PM

Pond only shows up if you zoom into street level since satellite has not updated. Water is significantly clearer this year that from your video (i swung by last week after picking up my son). Guessing that is due to water vegetation having stabilized and filtered.

Both exits are open now w/ parking on either side of the pond (or at least were as of last week). They are doing construction on the far side of the parking lot for a new splash pad beside the playground so I would imagine they may still have some closures.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 11/28/17 03:49 PM

Originally Posted By: TXfisherman12

Every year I fish that pond and have very little success with lures. For whatever the reason, a lot of other people strike out there with lures too. I still cant figure it out because at the other local stockings I fish each year the trout will take lures readily. Are you planning on hittin any of the other stockings in the Mizzou city/sugar land area this year?

Thanks for the info. I'll probably head back to this pond once or twice more if you can recommend any particular areas or tactics. smile Mary Jo Peckham and this pond are about equal distance from where I live on the north side (Spring / The Woodlands). This pond has a nice little playground near a shaded area on the northeast side, so it's a good place to spend a weekend morning with the kids even if we're not catching. I probably won't hit other Missouri City / Sugar Land ponds once January rolls around and the ponds on the north side of town get stocked.

I spent the first 2.5 hours walking the pond. In addition to throwing a super duper, I threw in power bait on a float every 10-20 feet while going around. (In years past, my experience has been you have to get right on top of the stocked trout to get any bites.) Other people were using power bait off the bottom; others using worms; a couple fly fishing. Nothing seemed to work. It seemed to me that the water had pretty low visibility, even for for the Houston area. Perhaps that contributed to the bite being off.
Posted By: Yellow_Cloud

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 11/29/17 12:04 AM

thanks to Fshng84 and Searsay.

Also TRWD in Fort Worth just released their trout schedule on 12/21 and 3/10, they stock larger size trout -

http://www.trwd.com/recreation-news/fishing/trout-stocking-dates-released/

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 12/04/17 03:11 AM

Thanks Yellow_Cloud! Always great to fish for bigger trout that TRWD stocks! Went Saturday to a new place Caruth Park - a small neighborhood pond stocked with trout last Wednesday. Only caught one but still good to get out and wet a line on a warmer than usual Saturday.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 12/07/17 05:23 AM

Follow-up video of the action Saturday at Caruth Park.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 12/07/17 09:04 PM

Made another attempt at Missouri City CPL. No luck! I'm heading to McGrath Park this weekend if anyone is familiar with the pond and could give some pointers. Thanks!

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 12/09/17 11:18 PM

McGrath was well stocked. My son and I limited out in about 4 hours. Trout were schooling on the southern part of the pond. They weren't jumping/surfacing as much as they were last year. Caught them on power bait and super dupers.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 12/10/17 03:13 AM

Good job Pavlaugh! It was nice meeting you and your son today.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 12/10/17 04:00 AM

Struckout at Heritage Park today but still had a great time plus a tasty brunch! Post.
Posted By: cwil

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 12/10/17 05:29 AM

We also swung by heritage park today for about an hour or so and caught not a one. I had a couple good "hits" but the micro sized #16 hooks I was using apparently didn't set. Others were catching, seemed on different baits. All the fish I seen caught looked tiny. This is a very nice man-made pond with very clear water. Looks like the ponds people build in their front yards, too "picture perfect". Great day to be out, might try greenbriar park (I think this is the one stocked yesterday) in fort worth tomorrow. will see

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 12/10/17 11:53 AM

Nailing limits every time on the Guadalupe! thumb

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 12/10/17 06:35 PM

Heritage Park - my son has limited every day in less than 45m for the last three days on mouse tails wacky hooked w/ 1/24 splitshot about 30" above the hook and a steady slow retrieve (slow enough to keep it on the bottom w/ mouse tails floating 12-18" up) . Was catching one or getting hit on every cast. We were throwing back anything under 8 or 9 inches.

My son who is 5 has had an absolute blast doing it. He catches so fast I haven't even fished myself - to busy dealing w/ taking hooks out and putting fish on the stringer or releasing them.

4lb line, #10 hook

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 12/10/17 10:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Searsay
Heritage Park - my son has limited every day in less than 45m for the last three days on mouse tails wacky hooked w/ 1/24 splitshot about 30" above the hook and a steady slow retrieve (slow enough to keep it on the bottom w/ mouse tails floating 12-18" up) . Was catching one or getting hit on every cast. We were throwing back anything under 8 or 9 inches.

My son who is 5 has had an absolute blast doing it. He catches so fast I haven't even fished myself - to busy dealing w/ taking hooks out and putting fish on the stringer or releasing them.

4lb line, #10 hook

^^^^this is what its REALLY all about^^^^

Thanks for the tip on lures. Went to greenbriar for an 1.5 -2 hours, bottom and bobber fish with powerbait and dough balls. Caught none. Actually only seen 1 trout caught while I was there.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 12/10/17 10:46 PM

4lb line, #10 hook

Very nice!

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 12/11/17 12:55 AM

4lb line, #10 hook

That's awesome. Never fished with mouse tails but may need to pick some up!

Good meeting you too! How did you do after we left? I returned to McGrath with my older and middle kid today, and we took 13 mostly small ones (a few 10 inches though) after about 5 hours fishing the southern point. A few on super dupers, most on power bait. Orange was the magic color. Another schooling location was the northern side of the southern/second fountain. We had caught a few there yesterday, but we saw one person limit out there today and a second group start catching them there right after.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 12/11/17 03:00 AM

This is actually my first year fishing w/ mouse-tails. They worked in denton - but not nearly as well - in denton and flower-mound - If i just let the mousetail sit... i would only get hits every 15-20m...

the slow-slow retrieve + wacky hooking on bottom 1/3rd of ball on the mouse tail - seems to do it just right. He (my son) even hooked what must have been the only Bass in that pond, a little 13" ball of fun that we released. It seemed to work regardless of color - though the chartreuse/orange worked best.

I'm wondering if the technique works just as well in water that isn't as clear. I'd imagine you would have to be closer to them - since in heritage pond at flower-mound they can probably see your bait from across the pond.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 12/11/17 04:57 PM

I hadn’t seen the “mouse tail” power bait before. But several years ago a guy I met at Bearcreek in Keller showed me a trout set up using both of powerbaits power egg and half of a 3” trout worm as a trailer, on same tiny hook. This setup is essentially the same thing as the mouse tail, just a two piece bait. It was very effective back then at that pond. I will have to pick some mousetails up before our next trout pond outing next week.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 12/12/17 05:53 PM

Good meeting you too! How did you do after we left? I returned to McGrath with my older and middle kid today, and we took 13 mostly small ones (a few 10 inches though) after about 5 hours fishing the southern point. A few on super dupers, most on power bait. Orange was the magic color. Another schooling location was the northern side of the southern/second fountain. We had caught a few there yesterday, but we saw one person limit out there today and a second group start catching them there right after.[/quote]

Great job again! After you left on Saturday I caught 3 small trout at the southern point, and then left - was all fished out and a bit frustrated that the trout were not smacking lures readily like last year. If I had time I would try again during this week to see if anything changed. Thanks for pointing out the southern point to me!

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 12/14/17 03:38 PM

Bethany gets stocked today with trout; hope to fish it later today! Stocking kicks off the first of several in our county. Stocking.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 12/14/17 03:58 PM

fshng84 - which of those small ponds gets stocked in Bethany? or are they all interconnected? Taking a friend and his 3.5 year old son fishing on Monday afternoon and trying to decide if I should hit Flower Mound or Bethany.

Also TWPD site says tomorrow 12/15 for Bethany not today - heads up smile

Thanks,
Posted By: Fisherman Joe

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 12/14/17 05:17 PM

fshng84 - which of those small ponds gets stocked in Bethany? or are they all interconnected?

It's the one with a Dock and rails closest to the pavilion. It's a horse shoe shaped pond. HTH

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 12/14/17 05:59 PM

fshng84 - which of those small ponds gets stocked in Bethany? or are they all interconnected? Taking a friend and his 3.5 year old son fishing on Monday afternoon and trying to decide if I should hit Flower Mound or Bethany.

Thanks,

Thanks, got too excited and forgot today is the 14th. Bummer.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 12/17/17 02:10 AM

Originally Posted By: fshng84

Thanks,

Fished Bethany today but using UL Spinning Gear. Limited out... Did breakout the fly rod briefly and had a couple of strikes but none landed. Did make it to Waterloo Friday and caught a number using Near Deere and the fly rod! Video.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 12/17/17 04:22 PM

Thanks,

Fished Bethany today but using UL Spinning Gear. Limited out... Did breakout the fly rod briefly and had a couple of strikes but none landed. Did make it to Waterloo Friday and caught a number using Near Deere and the fly rod! Video.

Here is the video of the action using UL Spinning Gear. Video. Did go back this morning and did a repeat but also able to pull out the Switch Rod and catch them with several different fishing flies. Will post a video later.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 12/17/17 11:17 PM

Nice video landing those trout!

I had a chance to try out a mouse tail today at McGrath park and landed five with it. Pretty impressed it outperformed the super duper and dough power bait.
Posted By: Fisherman13

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 12/18/17 12:35 AM

Went with a buddy to Waterloo patk in Denison yesterday and had a good time CPR’ing the little stocker trout. Here is the video from our day.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 12/18/17 05:42 AM

Thanks,

Here is the video of the action using UL Spinning Gear. Video. Did go back this morning and did a repeat but also able to pull out the Switch Rod and catch them with several different fishing flies. Will post a video later.

Video posted as mentioned; mainly spinning gear but have a snippet and pics of the fishing flies that worked today! Video.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 12/19/17 01:43 AM

Bite was steady again at Bethany. No video... pictures and an update this time. Post.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 12/20/17 01:31 AM

Bite was steady again at Bethany. No video... pictures and an update this time. Post.

Yesterday's action for trout at Bethany... bummer on the rain today. Hope it clears sooner than later. Video.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 12/21/17 09:41 PM

Struck out this morning at Bethany but did limit out yesterday - Wednesday. Short InstaClip.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 12/22/17 04:10 AM

I swung by bethany this afternoon with my son and father - we struck out on trout - though we did catch a 12" bass. we tried lures, mouse-tails (various colors), & dough. Only saw three caught all afternoon until we had to leave around 3:45pm. One guy caught 2 on a fly under a bobber and another guy caught 1 on bread dough.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 12/22/17 11:22 PM

Did trinity park get stocked with trout yesterday??? not on TPWD website but fort worth website put out a news release. Anyone know for sure?
http://fortworthtexas.gov/news/2017/12/Trinity-Fish-stocking/
Posted By: dln1957

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 12/24/17 01:26 AM

Yes. I caught my limit in about an hour. Two of them were nice size.
Posted By: Bubbler

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 12/24/17 12:28 PM

Did the Mesquite City Lake stocking happen. While my guys last-minute shop can get some fish on the line

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 12/24/17 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By: dln1957
Yes. I caught my limit in about an hour. Two of them were nice size.

Thanks for the info, maybe go try there Christmas or Tuesday. Have worked all weekend.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 12/25/17 01:50 PM

Merry Christmas! Windy and cold yesterday fishing Waterloo Park Pond in Denison. Tried fishing flies, corn, and salmon eggs... no takers. Then, went to Power Bait and the "slack line" technique where we don't hold the rod, so we can keep our hands in our pockets to stay warm, three of us limited out before it got colder and windier! Video Post.
Posted By: blooper961

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 12/25/17 04:29 PM

I have had more luck throwing the line on the bottom and letting it sit like catfishing.
They will take it and run with it,lots of fun.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 12/28/17 01:49 AM

Latest iFishNews is posted... more recaps of the action in our area plus items of interest. This round its trout fishing for stockers!
December 27, 2017.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 12/31/17 12:10 AM

Made it to LLELA for trout but struck out; good to wet a line though. Plus the package from Bass Pro Shops arrived! Post.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 01/07/18 09:50 PM

Fun time yesterday catching trout at Waterloo Park Pond for a catch and cook video. Also, got some underwater video of trout taking Powerbait and Corn. Good to see how the trout were taking out bait. Gives an idea what we were sensing each time trout would nip at our bait. Fishing Videos. Did get to use the Micro Fly Rod to catch and miss a couple trout else it was all bait... corn in particular

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 01/08/18 12:31 AM

Fun time yesterday catching trout at Waterloo Park Pond for a catch and cook video. Also, got some underwater video of trout taking Powerbait and Corn. Good to see how the trout were taking out bait. Gives an idea what we were sensing each time trout would nip at our bait. Fishing Videos. Did get to use the Micro Fly Rod to catch and miss a couple trout else it was all bait... corn in particular

Great post fishing84. Good job. cheers

Side Note: Interesting underwater video on the bite! thumb

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 01/08/18 03:42 PM

Thanks for that underwater video fighing84! Really interesting to see them strike. Someone told me that trout strike "up," but it looks from your video that they strike every which way.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 01/08/18 03:55 PM

Thanks banker_always_fishing and pavlaugh!

Great to see what the trout are doing and gain an understanding on the strike.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 01/08/18 05:53 PM

Enjoyed the video. Thanks for sharing with us!

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 01/12/18 01:05 AM

Enjoyed the video. Thanks for sharing with us!

Thanks TXfisherman12!

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 01/12/18 01:05 AM

Sent sample fishing flies to a Reader; looks like the Near Deere took one and the Guadaulupana took trout, then a spinner to closeout the limit! Pictures.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 01/12/18 08:37 PM

anybody been to Randoll Mill in Arlington ?
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 01/12/18 09:02 PM

Originally Posted By: butch sanders
anybody been to Randoll Mill in Arlington ?

Duck pond was frozen when they stocked. They punched a hole in the ice and dropped the fish in the hole. kid you not. Still lot of trout in there

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 01/16/18 12:23 AM

Fished Waterloo Sunday and limited out; temps were not freezing. Still working video but did get a snippet of the uw video action and testing out the Trout Max shooting head on the 4wt! Post.
Posted By: Ricktofish

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 01/16/18 03:33 PM

I went to Mary Jo Peckham park in Katy Saturday. There were 25 cormorants there when I arrived diving like a pack of wolves. I guarantee there was not a trout left in that two acre pond. Fished 3 hours, not a bite. Stockings there are just feeding the invasive birds.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 01/16/18 10:04 PM

Rickytofish: I feel your disappointment. I have struck out a few times at Mary Jo Peckham including trout and catfish stockings. Needless to say I will not waste my time and fish there again.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 01/17/18 01:02 AM

Fished Waterloo Sunday and limited out; temps were not freezing. Still working video but did get a snippet of the uw video action and testing out the Trout Max shooting head on the 4wt! Post.

Still working the uw video but did post a video on the method we used... had to go with light lining with corn. Trout wanted corn and preferred the rig to drift in the current instead of sitting on the bottom. For more on light lining, we posted a video... Post.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 01/19/18 11:49 PM

Still working the uw video but did post a video on the method we used... had to go with light lining with corn. Trout wanted corn and preferred the rig to drift in the current instead of sitting on the bottom. For more on light lining, we posted a video... Post.

Got the uw video done of the trout liking Corn over Power Bait... Check it out!

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 01/21/18 06:18 PM

Great video of the action on the Blue River yesterday from a fisherman we follow on YouTube. Likes it so much, compiled the trips to the Blue River we took last year! Do check them out!
Posted By: Nitrofish03

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 01/23/18 03:19 PM

Not a bad day.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 01/23/18 03:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Nitrofish03
Not a bad day.

Nice, those are some fat ones.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 01/24/18 07:44 PM

Fly fished the Rowlett Community Park pond stocking yesterday. Water is diarrhea color just as I remembered it from 2013 when I went there to fish it for bass and catfish. Never got a bite in 2013. Figured I would go check it out. Very slow until I figured out where they were and what they would bite. Went through several flies until I found a bite and ended up using a purple near deer dragged slow under an indicator to get all my bites.
Ended up catching and releasing 7 and gave one away to a guy at the park.

Trout #3 that didn’t make the video
[Linked Image]

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 01/26/18 03:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Fisherman13
Fly fished the Rowlett Community Park pond stocking yesterday. Water is diarrhea color just as I remembered it from 2013 when I went there to fish it for bass and catfish. Never got a bite in 2013. Figured I would go check it out. Very slow until I figured out where they were and what they would bite. Went through several flies until I found a bite and ended up using a purple near deer dragged slow under an indicator to get all my bites.
Ended up catching and releasing 7 and gave one away to a guy at the park.

Trout #3 that didn’t make the video

Very nice!

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 01/28/18 10:41 PM

Fished Rowlett Community Park Pond Saturday. Been a while since we last fished the pond but luckily, had Google Maps to guide us there. Still have to pass through a subdivision to access the park. Else, it remains as we remembered it... baseball fields, a landfill, and two ponds.

Bite was slow with one big Shad foul-hooked on the Near Deere, and no fish taken with bait or with a Super Duper. Stuck it out for about an hour and half, then moved around looking for activity... action picked up in a cove near a feeder creek.

Limited out with five, and released two others. Also, saw one fisherman land a nice Catfish! Fun stuff with the added bonus of the trout being larger than ones caught a Bethany Lakes and Waterloo! Trout Fishing Rowlett Community Park Trout... video.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 01/31/18 04:32 AM

Latest iFishNews is posted. This one focuses on Special Events in our area related to trout fishing!
January 30, 2018
Posted By: TexasBlonde

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 02/03/18 04:54 AM

We just use a small hook with a kernal of frozen corn and have our limit fast.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 02/04/18 05:14 AM

Decided to make the run across the border and fished the Blue River today. One of limited out using Power Bait Trout Worms. The other caught two only - one on an Olive Near Deere and the other on a Trout Worm. Video Post.
Posted By: Bubbler

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 02/04/18 06:38 PM

That nice smell of landfill. Was able to catch three on corn as well before my hands become numb and nose could no longer take it.

Nice there are still fish there. Luckily the birds have not found them like the air force that sits on the banks of Mesquite Town Lake.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 02/04/18 10:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Bubbler
That nice smell of landfill. Was able to catch three on corn as well before my hands become numb and nose could no longer take it.

Nice there are still fish there. Luckily the birds have not found them like the air force that sits on the banks of Mesquite Town Lake.

Lol no kidding I could never live in that community by that landfill. Must be horrible having to smell that and I can imagine its even better in the heat of summer.... I think i was handling the cold better than that smell.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 02/08/18 04:21 AM

Short video snippet of the Rio Trout Max Shooting Head that we mounted on our 4wt fly rod... really liking the one-handed spey casting concept! Video Snippet.

May need to give it another go in Frisco... Commons Pond gets stocked Saturday for the derby!

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 02/08/18 04:43 AM

Stockings are done on all of the area rivers and ponds I fish! Rivers are still loaded with trout and I am still getting limits! thumb

Usually have pretty good results through February and into early March! hooked

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 02/10/18 02:47 PM

Down with a cold or a flu... won't make the Trick-A-Trout Derby in Frisco. Good luck to others. For now, can replay past trips to Frisco Commons Pond... Playlist Post.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 02/10/18 03:08 PM

Down with a cold or a flu... won't make the Trick-A-Trout Derby in Frisco. Good luck to others. For now, can replay past trips to Frisco Commons Pond... Playlist Post.

Sorry your sick Glenn, get well soon.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 02/10/18 10:28 PM

Fished in the rain today at Dennis Johnston Park in Spring and found one of the golden rainbows that was stocked about a month ago. Someone told me there were only 5 stocked in the pond. Has anyone caught any of these elsewhere? My sons and I have caught about 100 trout in the past 2 months, and this is the first one we've seen.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 02/10/18 10:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Ricktofish
I went to Mary Jo Peckham park in Katy Saturday. There were 25 cormorants there when I arrived diving like a pack of wolves. I guarantee there was not a trout left in that two acre pond. Fished 3 hours, not a bite. Stockings there are just feeding the invasive birds.

Rickytofish: I feel your disappointment. I have struck out a few times at Mary Jo Peckham including trout and catfish stockings. Needless to say I will not waste my time and fish there again.

I had similar experiences at two other ponds that are stocked throughout the season. I went twice to Missouri City CPL and no one was catching any trout. All the other ponds that get one big batch of fish have been productive for quite some time after stocking -- still catching them a month afterward in Spring.
Posted By: Palomar Knot

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 02/11/18 06:25 PM

My buddy and I braced the cold yesterday and went to River Park along Trinity River. Fish were released Feb 9, we were able to get our limit within the hour. Small Berkley trout nibbles & small hooks, 6# line. Fun time!

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 02/16/18 03:31 AM

Able to wet a line today. Did not land any but did have three on the line. Grabbed the wrong reel... meant to test the RIO Trout Max shooting head on a short fly rod... ended up testing the OPST Commando Shooting Head. Still works well on the short fly rod!

Video Post.
Posted By: DNA

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 02/16/18 07:41 PM

I saw some one who is showing off the limit of trout from irving ponds today.
Posted By: JCG57

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 02/16/18 11:50 PM

Everything is bigger in Texas, except the stockers. These three came from north of the border earlier this week.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 02/16/18 11:52 PM

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 02/18/18 03:20 AM

Fished in the rain today at Dennis Johnston Park in Spring and found one of the golden rainbows that was stocked about a month ago. Someone told me there were only 5 stocked in the pond. Has anyone caught any of these elsewhere? My sons and I have caught about 100 trout in the past 2 months, and this is the first one we've seen.

I caught a golden trout at Frisco Commons a few years back. Saw one there on Thursday but couldn’t get it to bite.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 02/18/18 05:12 PM

Made it to Frisco Commons and managed to catch four trout... Saturday. Video.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 02/20/18 09:51 PM

Tried Mckinney Town Lake today in the rain... not even a nibble water was muddy and high. Hope those nets are doing their job keeping those trout in that area. I did catch a bass outside the net on a swim bait. I knew they would be hanging out there lol.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 02/20/18 09:55 PM

Tried Mckinney Town Lake today in the rain... not even a nibble water was muddy and high. Hope those nets are doing their job keeping those trout in that area. I did catch a bass outside the net on a swim bait. I knew they would be hanging out there lol.

Derby was postponed to March 17...
https://www.facebook.com/events/1861671900570553/

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 02/20/18 10:00 PM

thumb

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 02/21/18 10:17 PM

Dang didn’t know that... that would be why I didn’t have any luck and was only one of like 5 people that came out.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 02/21/18 10:21 PM

I wonder if they will reschedule anything else like Murphy or Prosper next weekend.
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 02/23/18 02:43 AM

Looks like Murphy is still on. Website says rain or shine

https://murphytx.org/CivicAlerts/#/CivicAlerts/SingleAlertItem?Mobile

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 02/23/18 02:49 AM

Originally Posted By: scubaarchery

They have trout derby Sat. am. Wont be able to fish until Sat. afternoon. And yes they will run you off!

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 02/24/18 12:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Smurfs
Originally Posted By: scubaarchery

They have trout derby Sat. am. Wont be able to fish until Sat. afternoon. And yes they will run you off!

I won’t fish Murphy until Monday morning. I don’t do the weekend crowd thing. Besides I’ll be out in my kayak on Sunday.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 02/24/18 01:44 PM

Video from my 2 trips to Frisco Commons.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 02/24/18 04:53 PM

Did anyone go to Murphy? They said rain or shine but there was lightning and hail so should have cancelled for safety sake.
Posted By: Kayak-Hooligan

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 02/24/18 06:44 PM

Are they stocking today or tomorrow for murphy

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 02/24/18 08:51 PM

They stocked Murphy. The derby was going on when I drove by. They started the derby for the kids about 1pm. I may head out there on Monday and give it a go.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 02/25/18 03:10 AM

They stocked Murphy. The derby was going on when I drove by. They started the derby for the kids about 1pm. I may head out there on Monday and give it a go.

Great to hear! Thanks!

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 02/25/18 03:35 AM

Thanks for the update!

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 02/26/18 01:44 AM

Killedem on a gold super duper! Lots of folks out at Murphy enjoying a nice day out! Everything was working

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 02/26/18 02:45 AM

Took my daughters and their friends so four kids under 6. We fished for an hour and caught 8 so each kid pulled on a couple. They had a blast and want to go again!
Posted By: Kayak-Hooligan

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 02/26/18 02:53 AM

With all the rain and flood going on, I had to stop by since I only live 5 mins away(Murphy). Fun day catching those hard fighting fish for their size on 2lbs test ultra light.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 02/26/18 11:07 PM

Murphy was on fire this morning 630-900am. then it shut down for me. In related news does anyone work anymore! hmmm

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 02/27/18 01:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Smurfs
Murphy was on fire this morning 630-900am. then it shut down for me. In related news does anyone work anymore! hmmm

Great to hear... was working, so not able to go today. Bummer.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 02/27/18 01:35 AM

Was able to fish Murphy yesterday. Here is the video of the action yesterday... posted one video fishing the pond, and then a second video to demo the "one rod, no reel" fly fishing concept... it works! No need for lots of gear, and can catch fish using only 8 yards of line... Videos.
Posted By: low bass

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 02/28/18 01:16 PM

Does anyone know what time they will stock today? Green Valley, North Richland Hills and Linda Spurlock, Richland Hills....

Eddie

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 02/28/18 03:18 PM

Hard to tell exactly just depends on when the truck gets there.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 03/01/18 05:11 PM

Anyone fish Frontier park in Prosper? I went by today and there is a sign that says park closed for construction keep out. But on the parks and recreation website it says they stocked the pond still. So WTH? How are we supposed to fish it?

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 03/01/18 05:15 PM

Frontier Park in Prosper

And then the parks and Rec. website

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 03/01/18 09:57 PM

Update ended up calling the parks and rec for Prosper fishing is ok park on the west side. best fishing was over there anyways. Water is muddy but the trout were super active and jumping everywhere. Purple near deer was working for me just like it did in the muddy water at Rowlett community park pond.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 03/01/18 10:13 PM

Update ended up calling the parks and rec for Prosper fishing is ok park on the west side. best fishing was over there anyways. Water is muddy but the trout were super active and jumping everywhere. Purple near deer was working for me just like it did in the muddy water at Rowlett community park pond.

Did you go to Murphy again Monday am?

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 03/02/18 04:03 AM

Went to Murphy 1-26-18 did ok and went back Wednesday and nearly skunked only caught one little trout and a baby bluegill it was ugly Wednesday morning. Here is my video from Monday.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 03/03/18 12:37 AM

Video from Prosper’s Frontier Park Thursday.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 03/12/18 02:43 AM

Made it to TRWD Flyfest Saturday at least till Noon; made it back Sunday and caught a 16" Trout but... did see others catch some nice ones! Still editing video but here is a quick update for now! Quick Update - March 11, 2018!

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 03/16/18 10:32 PM

Having a tough time with editing the video from last weekend. Got sidetracked again; had the day off so after a little ukelele time to get song stuck in my head recorded, went fishing. Caught a nice trout that went 20" on the Trinity in Fort Worth! Quick Update - March 16, 2018

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 03/18/18 02:53 AM

One last trout stocking to close out the Season, then it's warm water fishing time. Checked out the trout derby in McKinney. Lots of people, and lots of fishing action. Did not fish the derby but did fish later in the day and caught and released several before the rain started. Fin stuff! Quick Update - March 17, 2018.
Posted By: acbrown1977

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 03/18/18 01:00 PM

So they stocked it a day early? Their stocking schedule says 3/18/18

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 03/18/18 01:13 PM

Originally Posted By: acbrown1977
So they stocked it a day early? Their stocking schedule says 3/18/18

They never stock on the weekend, if the dates are on the weekend, they stock on Friday!

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 03/18/18 07:52 PM

Made it to McKinney this morning and fished for a couple of hours. Caught two, lost two, then had leave them biting. Power Bait, Power Worms, and corn were working. Olive Near Deere under a strike indicator worked, too. Did try a new recipe for the trout caught Friday... broiled it this time. Tasty dish, keeping this one for future 20" and larger trout!
Quick Update - March 18, 2018.

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 03/19/18 03:54 AM

Made it to McKinney this morning and fished for a couple of hours. Caught two, lost two, then had leave them biting. Power Bait, Power Worms, and corn were working. Olive Near Deere under a strike indicator worked, too. Did try a new recipe for the trout caught Friday... broiled it this time. Tasty dish, keeping this one for future 20" and larger trout!
Quick Update - March 18, 2018.

Got the TRWD video edited and posted... TRWD Flyfest 2018 Video/Post.

Shifting to warm water fishing again; fun Season... with a great way to close it out... fished Friday, Saturday, and Today for trout!

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 03/20/18 01:53 AM

Hammered em today at Towne Lake... very wind

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 03/20/18 02:10 AM

I went this afternoon. When I pulled up there were 20 cormorants inside the net. Was too windy for power bait and I am heading to North Carolina Thursday for bluefin so I just threw some poppers for a while. Got some strange looks using 8’ poles to cast 10” poppers for rainbow trout but it was good practice fighting the wind. Trout is done for me this year now on to tuna, turkey and sandbass!

Re: 2017-2018 TPWD trout stocking - 03/20/18 03:42 AM

Bummer on the cormorant and windy conditions. Quick update posted... includes more details on the broiled trout recipe (should work for other fish, too), and a snippet of past warm water fishing. Fun stuff! March 19, 2018 Quick Update.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum