Texas Fishing Forum

Anyone Tying?

Posted By: RexW

Anyone Tying? - 08/13/17 10:37 PM

It's been quiet around here lately. I hope some of ya'll have been tying more than I have been. Life got in the way for few months...

However, a rainy weekend provided the opportunity to dust off the vise. bannana2

So, here are some hoppers and midges:

Anyone else tying?
Posted By: Mitt78

Re: Anyone Tying? - 08/14/17 01:46 AM

I have been tying every Wednesday night at bass pro in Grapevine. I do need to do more tying. I'm down to tow hoppers and one Llano bug. I may even start tying more tungsten surveyors after hooking a 2lb bass on one.
Posted By: RexW

Re: Anyone Tying? - 08/14/17 02:37 AM

The Wednesday group in Grapevine is a great program. Definitely worth attending for anyone in the area. There is some serious talent in that group.

I was running low on hoppers too is the reason these were tied today. It felt good to get to tie again. smile
Posted By: Mitt78

Re: Anyone Tying? - 08/19/17 03:15 AM

Did a little tying tonight. Still not done. I want to knockout two more.

Posted By: McKinneyLonghorn

Re: Anyone Tying? - 08/19/17 04:54 PM

Nothing complicated, but I've been fishing for sunfish a lot since the bass aren't cooperating, so I tied some near deers (sizes 8 and 10) and some hi-vis parachute dry flies (sizes 12, 14 and 16). The 16s are the smallest flies I have ever tied, but they weren't as difficult as I expected them to be. Some of the fish where I have been fishing have been really, really little so hopefully the 16s are small enough to catch them.

Posted By: McKinneyLonghorn

Re: Anyone Tying? - 08/19/17 11:05 PM

Just tied these up. All three are a bit difference since I am not copying another pattern. Purple was tied first, which is why it doesn't have a little foam lip over the hook eye (decided it needed one when tying fly No. 2).

These are a deer hair tail and wing, with a basic natural fur dubbed body, brown dry fly hackle and a foam body. These are on size 12 standard dry fly hooks so they are a nice compact pattern that should be good for sunfish. With the foam and hackle they should float all day long.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum